New out board drive system

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

Hay guys go to TFL Hobby Manufacturer on Face Book. Thy are testing a new out board drive on there tunnel.

I cant link the video so you will have to go on Face Book to check it out.

Very interesting set up!!!!!!!

I'm not real estate impressed with it. I don't know if it's hull, motor or leg but my spec fe's will run circles around that boat. It looked like the leg tilts on its axis to with the intent of keeping the boat flat in the turns. All that does is push water in the wrong direction, forward momentum is what I want, it is no doubt good to see additional options though

The 3.5 outboard hydro record is held by a lay down motor. That idea has been around before that. I think Rod Geraghty might be responsible.

Lohring Miller

OB hydro rear 1.JPG

The cauldwell setup wouldn't be legal in IMPBA or NAMBA. The motor doesn't pivot with the lower unit.

One such as what Lohring posted would, since the motor and lower turn as a single unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this:

LongtailEngine.jpg

I was thinking of something more like this, lohring is that you?????? Google long tail drag boats, tons of YouTube vids - these guys are insane!!!

Safety equipment? We don't need no steenkin' safety equipment 0-:

lt2-400x246.jpg

LOL Good thing I didn't get appointed safety director of that organization.

Mike Bontoft's outboard hydro had some teething problems, but eventually ran very well. It set the 3.5 outboard hydro record in 2005 at 81+ mph that still stands. That's the fastest outboard SAW record with any size engine in any hull. The secret was balancing the lift of the wing to put as little of the boat in the water as possible and still have control. The details took testing and adjustment.

Lohring Miller

Back