NEW Nova .46 cooling head

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenn,

We need carb screws also. We have had 3 break in two engines. The screw in the new carb you sent looked like someone ground the end down by hand. It is very poor work and I don't know how long it will hold up. I think they need to consider a re-design of the carb. Their previously outstanding reputation is at stake.

Last thing you needed when you are moving is a bunch of complaints from customers. But perhaps you can have them read this and they will get serrious about it while you move?

Thanks,

Bob

Friends, I have just received the first batch of new head buttons and cooling heads for the .46 motors. These are designed to help solve a couple of problems. First is the over cooling of the case which could be causing the P/S fit to go away quicker than it should, and second, it will eliminate any water leaks from around the head bolts (the water never touches the head bolts with this new setup).

I am selling these first ones at zero profit...$41 plus shipping. They DO NOT have the reduced volume and these are made for the turbo plugs. I should have them for the std plug in my next order in Sept.

Thanks!

GQ
Glenn,

Please call me one evening when you have time. I have both Inboard and outboard 46s and would like to discuss this matter with you. I too am concerned that NR has fallen off of the quality wagon with these 46s. Mine run like scalded dogs and you are very standup about handling these problems but .... V/R, James 615-973-6764

James, I will put you down for some carb screws and will try to give you a call when I get a few minutes. I assume you have the small (3mm) screws in the carbs you have? I don't know what to say about one of the bolts looking like it was done by hand??? Was it on a brand new motor out of the box or was it one of the used ones you bought? I can promise you that Novarossi does not let anything out if the factory that is sub-standard!

I can also assure you that Nova is committed to building the best engines available! Remember the 46 started from a blank sheet of paper just a couple of years ago and each issue we have seen is being addressed as quickly as possible. Less than a year ago they got word that a few of the carb screws had failed, so the quickly made the change from 3mm to 4mm screws. When we found the pistons were sticking, I aggressively worked with them and they modded the piston taper..,no more sticking. When I told them about having to mod the head volume, they designed and built us new head buttons. As we have been discussing why some folks have been wearing out the piston for quicker than normal, they have built us a complete new cooling arrangement to let the case/sleeve come up to temp quicker. Are things perfect, no, is Nova (and I) working to make things better, yes! I do hear about folks having problems, but I hear more than folks really like them. And they are already the fastest 45 motors in the world so the majority of the motor is very close!

With all of this said, I am excited to solving the last few issues and making the motor even better. Please keep passing on the feedback both good and bad!

Sorry if this sounds like I jumped up on my soap box, but I know it is easy to loose sight of where we have been.

GQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys I have a question on turbo pluggs on these motors. Sence I startef running this 9 port 46 it was pritty hard to tune with the cold turbo pluggs. So I tried a med, a hot and a ulrta hot turbo plug and I found that OS P5 hot plug was sooper . I am running

a zoom carb 55% nitro @18% oil mix with a .30 hole for water with a pressure relief at the [email protected] thou with 8.25" pipe length witha 2314 abc prop with 55 to 65 degree water temp and a 65 to 80 air with air dens @89 to 96% . Only time I got a mph reading it was mid 80s when I was breaking in the motor and it been to exiting to watch to get any other readings the few times that I have somewhat raced I ran against my friend Rods eagle 84 and past him pritty easy. I have gone through about 6 gallons of fuel and its been amazing . The only problem that iI have had is broken crank i let a friend run it the other day and he wasnt use to the speed and hit a boui hard launched it without letting off and snapped the shaft off and broke the crank and cracked the block but it was kickin later Charlie

:wacko: Hi Charles Seem Stress push bearing or loose on crankshaft cause shake noise? :blink:

Hi guys I have a question on turbo pluggs on these motors. Sence I startef running this 9 port 46 it was pritty hard to tune with the cold turbo pluggs. So I tried a med, a hot and a ulrta hot turbo plug and I found that OS P5 hot plug was sooper . I am running

a zoom carb 55% nitro @18% oil mix with a .30 hole for water with a pressure relief at the [email protected] thou with 8.25" pipe length witha 2314 abc prop with 55 to 65 degree water temp and a 65 to 80 air with air dens @89 to 96% . Only time I got a mph reading it was mid 80s when I was breaking in the motor and it been to exiting to watch to get any other readings the few times that I have somewhat raced I ran against my friend Rods eagle 84 and past him pritty easy. I have gone through about 6 gallons of fuel and its been amazing . The only problem that iI have had is broken crank i let a friend run it the other day and he wasnt use to the speed and hit a boui hard launched it without letting off and snapped the shaft off and broke the crank and cracked the block but it was kickin later Charlie
Charlie, that is great that it was running so good, but it is very stinky that it broke!!! Give me a call when you can, I will see what I can do on the price for the new parts!

GQ

Had my first outting with my NR 46 IB this weekend at the D12 race in VA. Three pefect heats nobody could touch my PT S40. Was running a significantly smaller prop than my 45RS was able to pull. Tried a heat with an X450 that my 45RS ran perfect with and the engine could not turn it and finsihed 3rd. BLUF in my mind is these are high rpm engines with less torque. I'll experiment with othe rprops and see what more I can get out of it but it was fasssst. Also learned these engines don't want a lot of fuel, especially on low end and mid range. Cant run a hogged=off spray bar on this engine, stock carb works best. Was running the usual MACS pipe that is comparable to the OPS, same pipe I used on my 45RS. Engine ran hotter than expected after reading about the over cooling design flaw with the supplied water jackets and heads. Not sure why, same water on my 45RS was just right, not as hot. Could tell the exhaist temp was real high, couple color change like never before. Running an ODonnel Turbo plug to satisfaction. About 8 runs on it and element looks fine. Think I might try a larger Fuel doctor mix valve as I had to run it full open. AND, it did not eat a carb screw, BUT it did shake three motor mount bolts out on my first test run, Found one in the hull and two loose backing out. Had to RED locktite them in for insurance, the blue did not holdup. Ran my 45RS for 3 years with the same bolts and they never came loose. Also at the end of the fourth heat I noticed the teflon linner in my stuffing tube was climbing up the flex cable. never had that happen before either. Curious to see what else happens down the road. And. no I was not running some junk unbalaced prop unless the Sholan props come that way these days, not. So, some good and some bad.

James, I am glad to hear your boat was running fast! I have a couple suggestions that may change several of the other things you talked about...

First, what is the head clearance? How much water cooling did you have on the motor?

The reason the torque was low is simply because you were not burning enough fuel. Most folks describe these motors as very torquey, but in order to get there you have to raise the compression, reduce the water cooling and run lots of fuel through it. The head clearance should be set to around .008-.009" and there should be little water cooling. Doing this should dramatically increase the torque and may help lower the EGT (the lean needle makes the EGT go up).

I've never had any bolts vibrate loose do I don't know what to say about that one and the stuffing tube moving sounds like a motor alinement ??

Again congrats for having a fast boat and with just a little more tuning I think we can get it even better!

GQ

Glenn,

Did you receive the new water jackets and reduced volume head buttons for the 46? I need two of each. Please PM pricing and availability. Thanks.

Friends, I have just received the first batch of new head buttons and cooling heads for the .46 motors. These are designed to help solve a couple of problems. First is the over cooling of the case which could be causing the P/S fit to go away quicker than it should, and second, it will eliminate any water leaks from around the head bolts (the water never touches the head bolts with this new setup).

I am selling these first ones at zero profit...$41 plus shipping. They DO NOT have the reduced volume and these are made for the turbo plugs. I should have them for the std plug in my next order in Sept.

Thanks!

GQ
Hi Glenn I also would like one of the new style turbo head buttons and the newer set screw 3mm I think is what you were saying on your other thread. Also what are the choise pluggs that every ones using for best results in these motors my best preforming plug has been the OS P-5 with 55% seems real slugish with the nova #6 thanks Charlie

Friends, I have just received the first batch of new head buttons and cooling heads for the .46 motors. These are designed to help solve a couple of problems. First is the over cooling of the case which could be causing the P/S fit to go away quicker than it should, and second, it will eliminate any water leaks from around the head bolts (the water never touches the head bolts with this new setup).I am selling these first ones at zero profit...$41 plus shipping. They DO NOT have the reduced volume and these are made for the turbo plugs. I should have them for the std plug in my next order in Sept.Thanks!GQ
Hi Glenn I also would like one of the new style turbo head buttons and the newer set screw 3mm I think is what you were saying on your other thread. Also what are the choise pluggs that every ones using for best results in these motors my best preforming plug has been the OS P-5 with 55% seems real slugish with the nova #6 thanks Charlie
Hey Charlie, I will send you a pm on the new parts. We have found the OD77T plugs work great. The design of the head button works really great and we found that we can run hot plugs even with very tight head clearance (.008") and still not hurt the plugs.

GQ

Latest posts

Back