new gas pipes under construction

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned a long time ago to ONLY buy Hardinge collets. Yeah, they cost about 4 times what the Chinese collets do, but they run almost dead nuts round.
Well Steve, since you only buy Hardinge collets, maybe you will tell us which grade of Hardinge collets you buy???

ja

There is only one grade of Hardinge collet. But you can buy them in .001 steps up to 1.125 and you can buy them in shapes like hex, square and rectangle.

I have a collet that's 1/2 X 3/4

Wrong again Steve! There is a standard grade & a precision grade that can be purchased.

I only purchase the precision grade.

See, ya learn something every day. I didn't know Hardinge had 2 grades.

I like your MaxiMat lathe. I had an 11 inch MaxiMat back in the early 80's. I lost it when I divorced my first wife.

I'd love to have another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing done to this lathe was to re-grind the 5-C collet seat in the Royal #5 morse taper to 5-C adaptor seen in the photo. The Royal adaptor is indexed & can go into the spindle's seat only in one spot. I used my Themac tool post grinder to re- grind the 5-C collet seat & now the collet seat reads .0000" of runout. Manual tools can do amazing things if you understand how to use them!

Jim Allen

I wonder how many machinist understand the function of a dividing head? I used this manual tool to cut the windows in the cylinders of engines I built.

Bob,

I wonder how many know that it not only divides a circle into an equal number of parts, it can tell you how many degrees you have rotated with divisions or any movement? I also use it to make the retainers for my steel connecting rods.

JA

Jim,

Probably, most of the time I just use a spin fixture. Usually an easier set up. Takes 5c collets. There have been occasions where I have set up my turntable vertically if I needed more area to set my part on.

Bob

Bob,

The features that I like about a dividing head are, the dividing plates which use a locating pin & no vernier scale, it's small size, quick setting of angles from 0* to 90*, & accuracy of the spindle runout. I also use dividing plates on my rotary table. Think about this Bob, since the dividing head is geared 40 to 1, 40 turns equals 360*. 1 turn must be 9*. If an 18 hole plate is being used, each hole must equal 1/2* or 30 minutes. If you wanted to measure in 1/4* increments (15 minutes), a 36 hole plate woud be needed. However, there is no 36 hole plate!! I made one out of aluminum with hardened steel inserts. My cylinder's OD is 1.325". The small OD with a an accuracy of 15 minutes made the cutting of port windows accurate & a piece of cake.

Jim Allen

Wrong again Steve! There is a standard grade & a precision grade that can be purchased.

I only purchase the precision grade.

Got a 1/16" precision grade collet when I did my Ti rudders, was $75 but worth every penny. I could find a spot where the drill mounted in it would run out only a couple tenths at about 1/4" from the collet.

Terry,

Try a good quality 6" dowel pin or ground pin & tell me what it reads, even at the 5" length. I use a .00005" indicator for this. Your indicator should have a carbide ball.

Jim

Jim,

Necessity is the mother of invention. To me things like that, are what separate the regular machinists from tool makers. The figuring out how to do it and how to hold it are part of what keeps me going. The creative part of what we do makes us similar to artists in my humble opinion. I really love it when people in the shop come to me with a challenge. Have you ever done any EDM work? It's another aspect of our business that I really like. It's really a boon to injection mold making. When I think of the sectioned cavities I used to make, I can't help but think how much easier die sinker EDM machines made my job. Messy and dirty because of cutting carbon, but oh so worth it.

Bob

Bob,

I have never used one, but I have had many taps easily removed from expensive machined pieces with EDM machines.

Jim

Ready to go..

Dynoed work well..
4c7f7f51213e32ce42e8928b6b07a379.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The tuned pipe at the top of the photo has been tested for several years. It is used with 27 CC size engines & .625" bore carburetors. The chamber on the bottom is being built for larger size engines used in oval racing. No one tuned pipe design can satisfy all the running conditions of oval racing, straight away racing, different displacement engines, carburetors, induction systems, etc. Notice that the new chamber on the bottom has 2 sections in the baffle & 4 sections in the diffuser. Both chambers have the same major diameter, but the chamber on the bottom has a shorter tuned length & a larger volume. It will be used with a 19 mm (.7480") bore carburetor.

JA

Steve,

I don't know if you are referring to me, but I haven't spent any of my valuable time in "running you down". I have to much work for nonsense such as this & I already stated clearly, "THAT NOTHING SHOWN IS FOR SALE"!!

Jim Allen

Back