New Futaba 2.4 Ghz System

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is great to hear all the positive experiences using this very proven technology that has made its way into the radio controls we use. It seems that the Spectrum branded Spread Spectrum product was first to market, with some success, but sounds to me that the users have to modify it to get it to work properly in our application. Sometimes being first to market with a product is not always the best thing for the consumer.

There were a couple of posts with reports of the FASST system performing flawlessly. What were the conditions? How many other Spread Spectrum (SS) radio controls were operating during that heat or in the immediate area?

The real test will be when there is a 6 boat heat all using FASST / SS Radio’s, three of the people in the get ready (all using FASST / SS ) have their transmitters on as they prepare for the next heat. Oh and there are 8 other FASST / SS transmitters turned on in the pits for various reasons. Now how well is that receiver going to perform?

It’s kind of like a crowded cocktail party: people are talking at the same time but you are able to listen and to understand one person at a time. This is because your brain can sort out the voice characteristics and differentiate them from the other talkers. As the party grows larger, each person must talk louder and the size of the talk zone grows smaller. Thus the number of conversations is limited by the overall noise interference in the room.

I know with out a doubt FUTABA has done their home work on this, and I know it will work as specified in its intended market.

Will,

We have.... here is that testing thing again.. had 15 of the systems on... at the same time.. "Flying mind you" (not might help win any votes here).. in a huge metal building.. and had the competitors systems flying too.. and did not have ONE SINGLE POP, POOP or FART of any type during the tests.

We could turn on... with 14 in the air.. and lock on to our RX no problem..

I have also seen as many at 25 2.4 systems in the air at the same time..

Again.. its a leap of faith

Grim

This is right off the Futaba FASST 2.4 module instruction manual (.pdf file)-

How to Set the F/S Position

PPM mode only:

*HRS mode: Set the F/S function by the transmitter.

Move and hold the throttle trigger (stick) to the F/S servo

position where you want to set (slow side) then push the

tactile switch on the module.

The LED blinks green.

Note: Always set again when turning on the power.

So if you choose PPM you need to reset fail safe every time you run? :blink:

I do not use fail safes but as far as I can tell you dont have to re program... but... you can not use the fail safe system in PPM.. ONLY HRS.

got Digi serveoos eha?

Grim

I do not use fail safes but as far as I can tell you dont have to re program... but... you can not use the fail safe system in PPM.. ONLY HRS.
got Digi servos eha?

Grim
Just the opposite, I don't use digitals in the boats, personally I think it's a big waste of $$. :blink:

According to what I cut & pasted it appears the failsafe must be set each time in PPM mode?? The HRS mode is only for digital servos based on the info in the 3PK on line manual-

When using the T3PKs in the high response system (HRS) mode, always use it under the following conditions:

Receiver: R203HF, R303FHS or other high response system (HRS) compatible receiver

Servos : 6V Futaba digital servo

Battery : 6V NiCd battery

Transmitter mode : HRS mode (See p.42 for setting method.)

If the conditions are different, control is impossible.

And Fail Safe Unit (FSU) is not available.

:unsure:

got Digi servos eha?

Grim
Just the opposite, I don't use digitals in the boats, personally I think it's a big waste of $$. :blink:

According to what I cut & pasted it appears the failsafe must be set each time in PPM mode?? The HRS mode is only for digital servos based on the info in the 3PK on line manual-

When using the T3PKs in the high response system (HRS) mode, always use it under the following conditions:

Receiver: R203HF, R303FHS or other high response system (HRS) compatible receiver

Servos : 6V Futaba digital servo

Battery : 6V NiCd battery

Transmitter mode : HRS mode (See p.42 for setting method.)

If the conditions are different, control is impossible.

And Fail Safe Unit (FSU) is not available.

:unsure:
Boater have little to no use for Digis.. that includes me.. I do not use digis..

We need BRUTE strenght.. be it motor power and gear strenght, case and horns.... they need to me TOUGH.. past that point.....

Grim

I am not sure on this just yet, but I set my system using it in the PPM Mode. I have to push the little button on my Transmitter Module before I run a boat. Now, talking with Dunny he has his set on the HRS Mode and it then remembers his Failsafe settings and he is NOT using the Digital Servos.

My question is, does it matter which mode you are in either PPM or HRS when using the 2.4 System?

Russ

I am not sure on this just yet, but I set my system using it in the PPM Mode. I have to push the little button on my Transmitter Module before I run a boat. Now, talking with Dunny he has his set on the HRS Mode and it then remembers his Failsafe settings and he is NOT using the Digital Servos.
My question is, does it matter which mode you are in either PPM or HRS when using the 2.4 System?

Russ
As far as PPM and HRS. no.. the FAST system can do eather.. but as for HRS and standard servos.. the standard servos will soon be toast in that mode.. it will burn them up.

Standard servos=PPM

Digi servos=HRS

Grim

Russ
As far as PPM and HRS. no.. the FAST system can do eather.. but as for HRS and standard servos.. the standard servos will soon be toast in that mode.. it will burn them up.

Standard servos=PPM

Digi servos=HRS

Grim

Grim,

Can you have the Transmitter set to HRS using the 2.4 and the Servos be Standard, not digital?

Russ

Russ

Standard servos=PPM

Digi servos=HRS

Grim

Grim,

Can you have the Transmitter set to HRS using the 2.4 and the Servos be Standard, not digital?

Russ
Are there different recievers for the FASST system for PCM and HRS? For my 3VCS (two sticks ROCK) on 27 or 75 there are different recievers.

I have been running the system in both my 90 Twin hydro and 45 hydro for about 3 months now without any problem. Both will go to the edge of our pond - and (most importantly) back, without any loss of signal - that would be app. 200-250mts. from our elevated drivers stand.

I run a digital Hitec servo for the rudder and 2 standard servo's for throttle and mixture. I found I could not use the HRS mode - the standard servos would not work and 'buzzed'. I am running the system on PPM as per the set-up instructions.

I have set the fail safe ONCE and it works fine every time WITHOUT resetting. Naturally, I run with the receiver in a protective cover so it would be hard to re-set it every run.

The receivers are mounted on brackets and wrapped with rubber to absorb vibration, as close as possible to the radio box lid. this way the antenna is at it's longest out of the radio box.

So far I have not experienced any problems with the system. My twin runs around 100 mph and my experiences, so far, have given me the confidence to change my NAMBA Nats. entry to DSM.

Regards to all.

Wild Bill Annabel

I love this Radio.

I purchased the Futaba 3PK Super Transmitter and (4) R603FS receivers.

(1) receiver in my 21 SGX

(1) receiver in my 67 Seaducer

(2) receivers in my 67 SGX for redundancy. 1 handles the throttle and the

3rd channel the other receiver handles the rudder. it also has two

battery packs, two switch's

You simply bind the receivers to my transmitter (very easy to do)

I have made sure that like with all 2.4 GHz systems to get that antennae

out and above the pipe by a couple of inch's so as to get the best signal

to the boat accross the water.

I have not had a glitch, nothing but smooth operation so far.

Very High Quality Radio System......

I highly recommend trying it.

Joe

Scarpino

Russ
Russ

I found that you need to use the Radio in the PPM mode or the servos chatter.

Also once you set your model up and have chosen the PPM mode and it shows it so on the

bottom of the menu, simply turn off the transmitter at that point and it will then set into

memory so that you do not need two set it each time you turn on.

Joe

Russ
Russ

I found that you need to use the Radio in the PPM mode or the servos chatter.

Also once you set your model up and have chosen the PPM mode and it shows it so on the

bottom of the menu, simply turn off the transmitter at that point and it will then set into

memory so that you do not need two set it each time you turn on.

Joe

What I am saying is that in the PPM Mode you have to push the button on the Transmitter Module everytime to set the Failsafe.

In the HRS Mode you can "preset it" in the Transmitter, never to mess with it again.

I guess now that I don't have to remember to pull out my Antenna, I can remember to set the Failsafe :lol:

Russ

What I am saying is that in the PPM Mode you have to push the button on the Transmitter Module everytime to set the Failsafe.In the HRS Mode you can "preset it" in the Transmitter, never to mess with it again.

I guess now that I don't have to remember to pull out my Antenna, I can remember to set the Failsafe :lol:

Russ
This is what I was getting at earlier when I posted what the Futaba manual says. :rolleyes:

You can not use the failsafe in PPM mode.. Only in HRS or for you 3PK and 3VG users..PCM

Grim

I will have to check the mod pack.. However the 3PM 2.4 manual satates,

Fail safe function/FAIL SAFE (HRS mode)

"This function can only be used with HRS system receivers"

Then goes on to state how to set it up..

Grim

Dont know for sure and I need to try this..

But it looks like when you first setup the RX to the TX it takes the position of the throttle and steering and uses them as the default positions.. if you turn the TX off the servos go back to the defaults.

Again this is word from one of our car team members.. I need to try it..

Grim

In PPM you can use the Failsafe mode and it is an

every time you turn on the the transmitter deal.

So easy though, just push the throttle forward and push the tiny

little button next to the LED on top of the transmitter and there it

is all blinking away and protecting you from any signal loss.

Again though my system has worked flawlessly so far....

Joe

Back