New forum: Outrigger design?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Inverarity

Supporting Member
Hey Tom,

We have a number of outrigger designers/builders on the board now, yourself, Grimracer, Paul 'Ozzy', MikeP, Hammer, Glenn Quarles, and others I can't think of right now. There are quite a few threads discussing outrigger design and construction.

Also we quite often see new members who want to either build from plans or design boats from scratch. A forum which was specifically about outrigger design and construction would give these people a place to look thru first.

Any one else interested in this? Or just continue on the general forum?

Ian.

ian,

i think we should keep as much of the posting as possible in the same forum without having it so overloaded that stuff goes out of the spotlight before you get a chance to get your 2 cents in....that way we can see everything new on the sight by loading only 2 or 3 pages [General forum, OB forum, Villain Forum, etc.] instead of having to load a seperate one for each main topic.......anyway, just my opinion, hope im not offending anyone!

Joe

I would agree with you Lax. I was never interested in riggers until I started reading the posts in the general forum. if it was separate, I might not have ever read any. I have never gone on the outboard section, or the villain section. Just my thoughts. I believe things can get overly specialized.

Gang

I would like to think that through the use of this forum that we all have one common interest that is model boating. If you run riggers, tunnels or monos you are always welcome to read on in. I like having the diverse crowd reading in and commenting. Having the fast hydro guys checking in on mono guys and the gas guys reading in on the tunnel guys. I dont think that either way is wrong it is just that coming to this board is very relaxing to me and it is fun to meet all the different racers and runners.

Grimracer

Grim,

ya sound like a politician!! ;D

JK, i get what your saying, i just had to read it twice......

i guess it doesnt matter that much to me, i check in on all the forums anyway, just not as often as the general one.

there i go again........that makes it 4 cents!

Joe

Hmmm... and as the Australian Stingers may be making a return very soon... theres another boat designer!!

If they do return, they will be coming from me as I have all the original templates and designs for all the Stinger boats.

Will they return?? Well the 67 boat will be retested very soon so we will take it from there....

EMS Racing Ouch!!! Theres another stinger

Hey Craig,

There was a local 45 hydro that was built here based on the Stinger design. It was a bit longer with wider sponson spacing, the sponsons were unchanged tho. The tub was higher and narrower such that it would accomodate a single Sulivan type tank, and the tub was open above the tank. The boat used an SG style turn fin. It was also very light, lighter than my 45 SG, altho it was not very strong. I drove the boat, and I thought it was better than my 45 SG. So I think there is potential in it! ;D

Ian.

Ian,

Yeah the tub has been the only part that I have been thinking needs attention... but narrowing the tub has its own set of complications. Firstly the amount of downforce the tub had would be decreased (didnt know it had downforce??? look harder) and secondly the boom spacing to accomodate longer tanks may be a hassle....

The next generation of sponsons (which never made production) are interesting too.... sort of like the new breed of sponsons with afterplane coming from most hydro makers now... but these designs were 5 years old...

sometimes amazes me how advanced the stingers always were.. :)

Anyways we will see this year if we can resurrect the breed...

EMS Racing dont look at me in that tone of voice...

Craig,

Where was the down force generated on the tub, from the nose shape? Or rake on the top of the tub? It has been ages since I have had a good look at a Stinger, I got rid of the 21 boat ages ago. I think it is easier to build downforce into the canopies. For example the canopies on Wild Bill's 45 hydro, or Garrard's twin. Canopies are easy to change if you need some adjustment! ;D

From memory the boat had increased boom spacing. You probably dont remmember it, but Dave Hatcliffe had it at the 98 nats in Adelaide with a Picco 67 in it.

Not sure about those fairings on sponsons. Aerodynamically they would be better, and would reduce the aero lift of the sponson too. Also gives something for the turn fin to mount to. But many boats run quite well without it!

Concentrate on getting the weight down to modern levels! ;D

Ian.

Ian,

If you look at the whole tub you will see it was basically an upside down wing. That is where the downforce came from. Also the area under the rear of the boat created a vacuum between the rear sponsons.

The weight of the boats is directly proportional to how many seasons you want to run a boat. The Stingers were designed to race 3 or 4 seasons excluding major carnage. As Andy Brown says, his boats are 1 or 2 seasons maximum and you saw what happened when one hit buoy 2!!! Stingers never smashed in half like that (except the balsa straight line 21) but you had to live with a little extra weight. All in all I didnt think the weight of the Stinger boats was that much overboard anyway, and with a narrower tub and using tape down hatches instead of the screw down we used to use would also bring it down a bit.

EMS Racing There is a time for laughing and a time for not laughing and this isnt one of them

Craig,

The up sweep of the bottom of the hull towards the back is quite a common feature, the only boat I have seen without it is a Jag (I think?).

I agree about durability v weight issue, but wood selection and careful design can improve the durability too. Paul 'Ozzy' uses very good wood for his hulls, and I have not seen one of them snap! Or you could vacuum bag CF to the faces of fairly light ply like the Hummingbird. Twin K-90 can help out with that! The major trick to the lighter boats is making them smaller, there is just a lot less material used. Of course radio installations etc can become more complex.... ;D

The heavy boats hold their own in rough water, but in good water they are not on the same lap as boats like Aaron's!

Ian.

Ian,

How many times have you gone through a race where you got good water every heat? Personally I am not holding my breath to see the day

Craig,

The ability to run in rough water is not soley dependant on weight. It is also how they fly..... And Stingers fly very well..... 8)

Ian.
Whats a stinger? Need pictures!

-MikeP

Hi guys

Seems to me that dihedral, sponson aoa and ride pad width also has a ton to do with ride on rough water.

I could be wrong. Thoughts?

Grim

Grim,

From my observation only, a good rough water boat should fly level when it bounces over wave tops. Riggers that pitch up tend to have more trouble. Boats with the CG forward tend to be a bit better for flying level. Also boats with larger sponsons and large non-trips seem to be able to get away with landing on one sponson etc.

Not sure about dihedral. I am guessing up to a point more dihedral gives a bit more stability. I have not really played with ride pads. Marty Davis made a comment about ride pads a while ago on rcboat.com, he sayed he played with all that when he building Crapshooters and found that simple sponsons worked best! He also said that ride pads had a similar effect to dihedral.

Craig,

Got any pics for MikeP? I dont....

Ian.

Back