New FAA requirement for drones/quads/UAS/etc.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, A double happy New Year to the folks in the DC area. They've shut down every flying club within 30 miles of DCA.

Oh, but you must remember, it's only temporary. The FAA says so and that they are working with the AMA to find a compromise and then everything will be back to normal. Anyone believe that?

Being I am freshly retired 2015 from Aircraft business world. Working with the FAA has to be some of most trying. Things you have too as build aircraft owner. These new rules is a turf thing. They have pilots airports gov org,s asking for help . Too what they see as threats too there safety SAFETY is the key word here, and will be their fight song.

Being I am freshly retired 2015 from Aircraft business world. Working with the FAA has to be some of most trying. Things you have too as build aircraft owner. These new rules is a turf thing. They have pilots airports gov org,s asking for help . Too what they see as threats too there safety SAFETY is the key word here, and will be their fight song.
if a couple of nasty birds could bring down an Airbus 320, I'd think they have at least some cause for concern.

They do have cause for concern but not from the model airplane fields, Closing the airspace within 30 miles of a couple of airports isn't going to stop anything other than the clubs that flew legally at known locations. "Joe Schmucatelli" and his kid will still fly their foamies and/or quads where ever and when ever they want and won't give a **** about the FAA's rulings and, considering how hard it would be to catch them in the act, things probably just got worse in the DC area

They do have cause for concern but not from the model airplane fields, Closing the airspace within 30 miles of a couple of airports isn't going to stop anything other than the clubs that flew legally at known locations. "Joe Schmucatelli" and his kid will still fly their foamies and/or quads where ever and when ever they want and won't give a **** about the FAA's rulings and, considering how hard it would be to catch them in the act, things probably just got worse in the DC area
I expect something will work out. We can and do police ourselves just fine, but we can't really do anything about the dudebros. They'll keep doing dumb stuff, give us attitude when we try to instruct, and then when the hammer comes down and the .gov takes away their toys they'll mope away muttering "man, this is bull****!"

Back