New engine prep

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRoth265

I'am curious to what everybody does with new engines. When I get a new engine I completely take it apart and put it in a ultrasonic cleaner (like for jewelry) The amount of debri in the bottom of the pan after I remove it has suprised me. The last one I did was a OS outboard and had almost no debri. The one before that was a K&B 7.5 pro and it produced almost 1/2 a teaspoon! :angry: What do other people do? I can't believe the pro would have lived very long if I would have run it out of the box. Greg :huh:

With the OS not much work needed. With the K&B I try to buy one that I know has not been out of the box at the dealer because I want to make sure that no one has turned it over by hand. I then disassemble the entire motor remove all of the slag and loose chrome hanging off the parts and then wash it out with a toothbrush and dishwashing detergent before oiling and reassembling. I had Andy do me a MAC .21 power head and it was just like the OS no additional cleaning required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back