• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold New Don Ferette Remote Needle Bases with new OS IN-Flight Needles for 67's.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's how I set up the Ferrette base and OS inflight needles. I use the red Locktite and thread the needle body inverted to keep any of the Locktite from getting into the interior of the needle base. Once it's in threaded in and snugged up I turn it over and let the Locktite dry and then you have a nice bead of the Locktite that helps any air from sucking by the needle base.

Attachments

• 3rd ch needle 1.JPG
    3rd ch needle 1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3rd ch needle 2.JPG
    3rd ch needle 2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the tip Mike! Is red loctite necessary since it may make it hard to disassemble for cleaning?
Locktite is not needed at all actually. The softer brass OS base will seal just fine against the harder aluminum, even more so if you use a 6 point 1/4" drive socket to seat the OS piece. You'll stand a higher chance of leaks from worn out needle o rings but I've never had to replace any of those either. ;)

Locktite is not needed at all actually. The softer brass OS base will seal just fine against the harder aluminum, even more so if you use a 6 point 1/4" drive socket to seat the OS piece. You'll stand a higher chance of leaks from worn out needle o rings but I've never had to replace any of those either. ;)
Agreed...Loctite, regardless of color, is overkill....and red has the potential to invite serious regrets.
For total peace of mind, regarding air leak potential, we simply use Yamabond, or equivalent, and forget about it.
The uses for Yamabond, Permatex Moto Seal, or equivalents, are nearly endless in our hobby.

I fly RC scale helis.. I like loctite.. BUT.. SELDOME red.. and just a dash of blue on the theads is all they get.. (I put down a small puddle and just catch a portion of the lower threads when applying)

Grim

I am just now using the last of a 2 oz bottle of red purchased in 1962. Granted, I have one of those really tiny ones that I take on the road with me to races but have seldom used.
Lol!....I'm not even sure they package in those little 'micro' bottles anymore, John.....unless from MSC or M-C.
AP stores have those small toothpaste style tubes.

I fly RC scale helis.. I like loctite.. BUT.. SELDOME red.. and just a dash of blue on the theads is all they get.. (I put down a small puddle and just catch a portion of the lower threads when applying)

Grim
Yep....Blue's the stoutest I use on the boat deal, and 'just a lil' dab will do ya'. 😉

Back