New .21 Sport Tunnel SAW record

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike we had to go through about 20 cases and 20 sleeves to get down to .002. For NAMBA you cant file, grind or sand anything in the motor. With IMPBA we take about .003 off the top of the liner to get down to around .001. I have heard of people going to .001 interference and preheating the motor to get clearance.

Not to start a controversy, but would someone explain why or how the 1/4 mi. Two lap got started?
I understand the 1/3 mi. two lap equals one mi.or 6 laps,but the 1/4mi. two lap equals one mi.or 8 laps!
To my knowledge we have never ran 8 lap races?

We run 8 lap races all the time in district 13. There are two options for oval size in IMPBA.

Don I was told several years ago that the IMPBA 1/4 mile course was created for clubs that had smaller lakes. I am not sure when IMPBA started allowing 1/4 records. There is also an official IMPBA 1/5 mile course in the rule book for electrics, but as far as I know we are not allowed to set 1/5 mile records.

According to my dad who started in IMPBA in 1967, the 1/4 mile course was the original course, which at the time seemed fine due to the speed of the boats. As he told me last weekend, he remembers back when he first started, there was hardly any props available and you were doing good back then to have a 30mph 45 hydro. A couple of years into it, they broke 50mph with a 45 hydro and that was a huge accomplishment. Anyways, the course got bigger as the boats got faster and a complete rule book was written. The 1/4 mile course has always remained in the book as well.

I drove the 1/4 mile track for the first time this fall at the Cincinnati time trials. What a challenge that was. It is not just a smaller length course. The turn is only 30 foot in diameter. I like the option of being able to set records on either size course. It definitely takes a different set up to run well on the small course.

Latest posts

Back