New old Tunnel class growing.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

Sad to say tunnels here in Florida (once the home of the Tunnel Boat Mafia) have declined to endangered species candidates. Good news in the past couple months I know of 7 new builds. (new growth) I gave Isaac Lathrop an old Leecraft 45 and he showed up at the FE Sunshine race in the Q/limited class. Surprised a lot of people going fast and finishing well with some fast monos. Kris Flynns old Vision was there for sale and Isaacs friend Ken scooped it. Now back in the Sarasota area Jeff Connely and Shawn Junker plus Jeff Westbrook are digging out old hulls and repowering them. I have 2 myself and Jeff Maturo has a Vision 45. Andy Smith is working on a Lee and we all are just waiting for the cloud to lift so we can race em.
How is this possible? Cheap reliable fast boats. Our local Q/ limited rules (40X75mm motor limit) That allows a $40-$60 Flycolor 150 (OSE Raider) and a $80 motor (Leopard 1400) on 6S to run 50-60MPH with a fairly seaworthy sized boat. P/limited tunnels around here died off as, if you weren't a tunnel master the boats went upside down and the new people changed over to cats and monos. Do the math and 50-60mph with around $200 of hardware. Motor, ESC & Battery. Limited keeps the cost down and competition with skill in setup and props rather than wallets.
Not for everyone true. So sit back and we will forge on. Or try one and see who in your area has .45 nitro tunnels collecting dust that won't need to be fed $$$$nitro and $$$ glow plugs anymore. Sorry noise is minimal and no fumes to smell, but you may be welcome on water that you couldn't get near at 90+db.
The next step from endangered is extinction.
Mic

There is growth just not in nitro tunnels. The SOWEGA group has kind of taken over from Charleston as the center of tunnels for now. All I am saying is there are alternatives for tunnelheads. We all go straight and turn right.
Mic

I hear ya. I hope things pick up for you down that way. You have Britton & Premo down there building tunnels like wild men. I would think they would be flooding your site with new tunnel boats and drivers????

Sad to say tunnels here in Florida (once the home of the Tunnel Boat Mafia) have declined to endangered species candidates. Good news in the past couple months I know of 7 new builds. (new growth) I gave Isaac Lathrop an old Leecraft 45 and he showed up at the FE Sunshine race in the Q/limited class. Surprised a lot of people going fast and finishing well with some fast monos. Kris Flynns old Vision was there for sale and Isaacs friend Ken scooped it. Now back in the Sarasota area Jeff Connely and Shawn Junker plus Jeff Westbrook are digging out old hulls and repowering them. I have 2 myself and Jeff Maturo has a Vision 45. Andy Smith is working on a Lee and we all are just waiting for the cloud to lift so we can race em.
How is this possible? Cheap reliable fast boats. Our local Q/ limited rules (40X75mm motor limit) That allows a $40-$60 Flycolor 150 (OSE Raider) and a $80 motor (Leopard 1400) on 6S to run 50-60MPH with a fairly seaworthy sized boat. P/limited tunnels around here died off as, if you weren't a tunnel master the boats went upside down and the new people changed over to cats and monos. Do the math and 50-60mph with around $200 of hardware. Motor, ESC & Battery. Limited keeps the cost down and competition with skill in setup and props rather than wallets.
Not for everyone true. So sit back and we will forge on. Or try one and see who in your area has .45 nitro tunnels collecting dust that won't need to be fed $$$$nitro and $$$ glow plugs anymore. Sorry noise is minimal and no fumes to smell, but you may be welcome on water that you couldn't get near at 90+db.
The next step from endangered is extinction.
Mic
Hi Mic
Just saw your post and the setup sounds interesting. I’m trying to resurrect tunnel racing in the PNW and move it towards a more scale class but need a platform with the capabilities you are describing.
Would you mind sharing what prop(s) you are using to get in the ballpark? I would like to build up one for a try.
Thanks!
-Sam

Sam,
I have run the 40X74 motors in cat, mono, hydro and tunnel. On a 45 Vision with a Leopard 1400KV and an m445 prop 54mph. M545 58mph and an ABC 1815/3 runs 62mph. Single 5000ma 6S Roaring Top. The 445 and 545 will make 6 laps easily and 1815 might be marginal at 5000ma. Going to a 1600kv we pick up speed and heat and loose run time. If your hull likes more diameter stay with 1250-1400kv. In all the hulls tested with a data logger I have seen between 120 and 160 amps depending on load. The Flycolor 150's seem to handle everything. A Seaking 180 is more than you need but would allow larger motors. To be honest running a 40X82 will appeal to some but kill interest in racing. The extra 5mph will put you upside down easily and larger than a 40X74 will just start a wallet war. My 60mph would compete in a mod 45 class. The appeal here is an available, reliable, inexpensive rig a step above P/limited in speed and ability to run in bigger water.
Mic

Hey Mic,
Great info thank you!
I agree that the 4074 should be the limit on the motor.
I was hoping to use P power in a series I’m working on promoting but under NAMBA rules hulls like the Vision 40 would not be legal plus it doesn’t seem like that class is running much if at all anywhere else. P limited might have a few racers in WA however I’m in Oregon and nothing at all here for tunnels so I’m on a mission to bring em back and believe some rethinking for FE needs considering. I think you may be onto a viable setup.
You hit the nail square when you say available, inexpensive, reliable and a step above P limited in capability.
Cheers!
-Sam

Latest posts

Back