New 2015 .67 Eagle SGX-2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

The Proto type 2015 .67 SGX-2 hit the water for the first time at the 2014 Fall Nats. The boat had literally never touched the water until the second round of racing and still put on a strong performance, finishing just 200 points out of first place.

The second 2015 .67 SGX-2 was built by Al Hobbs. He just put it in the water for the first time and here is the report that I received from Al today.

"Hi Andy,

We've had brutal weather so far this year, wind and rain. So today was the first time I ran the new 45 and 67 boats.

I had a 45 last year, so I was not surprised with the performance. But the 67 was ballistic! Fastest 67 I have ever run or seen for that matter.

I'm running an 8 year old or perhaps older K67 with the new 67 Speed pipe and Octura 1465 pitched up. The boat handled a light chop very well, holds the turns like you can't believe, and you don't even come off the throttle a bit going into the turns. First time in the water and it is running great. I did not have to adjust anything. Fantastic boat!

I don't know how many more of your new 67 boats are out there this year, but I don't see anything will be running with them.

Al"

Sorry, one photo posted upside down for some reason.

IMG-20140903-01143.jpg

IMG-20140903-01145.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Boat and report! Solid or hollow booms? The tub a little longer? We will see it's debue in Calgary this weekend? Al are you in cow town already? See you there tomorrow.

Brad

Nice Boat and report! Solid or hollow booms? The tub a little longer? We will see it's debue in Calgary this weekend? Al are you in cow town already? See you there tomorrow.

Brad
The booms are solid carbon. The tub is longer with the length added between the engine and tank to allow room for the CMB 67 drum/carb systems.

Yes, I got to Calgary last night and tested with Doug Sick this afternoon. First time in the water for me this year. The 67 SGX-2 ran well right off the bat even in the wind and choppy water.

Doug is dialing in his new 45 SGX-2. It was running strong as well in the wind and chop at the Calgary pond.

The second 2015 .67 SGX-2 was built by Al Hobbs. He just put it in the water for the first time and here is the report that I received from Al today.

Sorry, one photo posted upside down for some reason.
beautiful boat! Are those images of Al Hobb's actual boat? Or is this another SGX2-67 build?

Look Nice better much as same as my 45 SGX 2014 I want to buy new 67 SGX but I don't know that when will new 67 engine ( A/A67 or NovaRossi .67DD ) arrive yet
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes David. The photos are of Al's actual boat, just before we boxed it up and sent to him.

Just for clarification the New 2014 45 SGX is SGX, not SGX-2

The 2015 .67 SGX- 2 is X-2.

We have been building SGX-2 styles since 2006.

The wings and rear sponsons make the difference.

SG and SGX wings create small down pressure in straights and have rears that run on or near the surface.

SGX-2 wings create lift in the straights and the rears run well above the surface.

Both styles have benefits.

SG and SGX wings create small down pressure in straights and have rears that run on or near the surface.

SGX-2 wings create lift in the straights and the rears run well above the surface.

thanks for clarifying all these technical differences Andy.

Funny, it was immediately apparent to me (after looking closely at this new SGX-2 .67) that the wings are noticeably more "neutral" than my older (un-built) SG or SGX .67/.80 fuselage (41in length). Also, I notice the difference in OAL proportions- increased distance from rear sponson boom-to-forward motor mount hole. Also, notice the new SGX-2 .67 has a 3-hatch configuration, are they each physically separated internally? Or one large radio compartment with 2 hatches (for additional structural strength)?

Eagle_SGX80_Unfinished_FuselageSide_140417_04.jpg

Eagle_SGX80_Unfinished_FuselageTop_Complete_140417_04.jpg

Funny, it was immediately apparent to me (after looking closely at this new SGX-2 .67) that the wings are noticeably more "neutral" than my older (un-built) SG or SGX .67/.80 fuselage (41in length). Also, I notice the difference in OAL proportions- increased distance from rear sponson boom-to-forward motor mount hole. Also, notice the new SGX-2 .67 has a 3-hatch configuration, are they each physically separated internally? Or one large radio compartment with 2 hatches (for additional structural strength)?
Hi David,

Your boat is the 80 SGX (41") designed for the MAC 84. The 67 SGX is about 39". The 2015 67 is about 40" with the extra space added between the rear boom and the engine mount to make space for the CMB/Picco drum systems. The two hatch covers service one Rx box, but there is a bulkhead between the two hatches that has big holes drilled in it (see photo). Also the deck area between the two hatches has a 1/4" birch ply plate for the purpose of mounting the pipe bracket.

And yes, all for added strength and rigidity.

The X-2 wings are much different, using a curved, lifting airfoil on the top surface.

Dowling Park-20141126-01188.jpg

Hi David,

Your boat is the 80 SGX (41") designed for the MAC 84. The 67 SGX is about 39". The 2015 67 is about 40" with the extra space added between the rear boom and the engine mount to make space for the CMB/Picco drum systems. The two hatch covers service one Rx box, but there is a bulkhead between the two hatches that has big holes drilled in it (see photo). Also the deck area between the two hatches has a 1/4" birch ply plate for the purpose of mounting the pipe bracket.

And yes, all for added strength and rigidity.

The X-2 wings are much different, using a curved, lifting airfoil on the top surface.
I see. Thanks. Would love to see a shot of the inside transom area, wanted to see exactly how you guys are employing dowels for reinforcement.

I watched at Al Hobbs rigger at our district 16 today. I shoot radar gun pocket at his speed 67mph so I said his boat is pretty fast and almost fly
default_blink.png
but his cowl fell off then cowl gone down pond

" The 2015 67 is about 40" with the extra space added between the rear boom and the engine mount to make space for the CMB/Picco drum systems. "

Hmmmmmmm.... I have a brand new CMB .67 greenie just waiting to be stuffed into something too....
default_smile.png

Nice hydro Andy...

Back