New .12 Texan SAW

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more digression...can anyone identify this one?

(come on...show your age, it's ok. ;) )

Is that a T-6 Texan modified to look like a WWII Japanese Zero? If I am not mistaken, a few of our Texan’s were modified for a movie back in the late 50’s; I just don't remember which one? :-

You're close Wade, but no. This is one of three existing B5N Kate torpedo bombers.

It DID fly in Tora!Tora!Tora! with several AT6 Texans, and provided a reference for their modifications for the film.

My first love -- WWII war birds!

My absolute fave? 2800 hp swinging a 13' prop - the first aircraft to exceed 400 mph in level flight.

PJ,

That is the movie I was thinking of! ;D & you picked my favorite WWII war bird! I love the F4U Corsair!!! It was coolest looking plane of the time!!

Actually I talked to two of my very good friends and they told me that Glenn flies UFO's!

Here they are in my house. I thought I heard Scully screaming Mulder last night. Gotta love the X-files.

Karl, that is correct...there is no strut. At least not the way most people think about one. Actually this is the single biggest idea I had that led me to the weight reduction I was able to do on this boat. There is nothing adjustable on this boat; making things adjustable just adds weight.

My thoughts went kinda like this: Laying in bed one night thinking about how to go faster (you guys do that too I bet!) I realized that I never needed to adjust the strut height or angle on any of my SAW boats. Well, since I didn't need to adjust the strut, why have one at all...I would just support the stuffing box under the boat and solder some bigger tubing to the end to hold the bearings. Well, since I am not going to have a strut to mount to the transom (big weight savings!) why do I even need all that wood back there (more big weight savings!)? Well, if I don't need the transom to do anything (I can just mount the rudder to the side) why not just cut the whole back of the boat down and lose the transom AND part of the sides (yep, more big weight savings). Well, I don't have ANY idea what this new shape is going to do to the lift and aerodynamics, but I will worry about that later...this is only an exercise in getting rid of weight. Then I woke up and went to the shop and started work.

So that is part of how I got to where I am now, I am going to try to put some pictures on here...you will notice a few other areas that look kinda different (maybe a LOT different). It was ALL about weight...and it looks like it works really good. I have very high confidence that if I continue to run this boat it will go 80+...I am moving to the land of rough water though and I'm not sure how much I will ever run it again. I sure would like to set the timing equipment up one more time and bend on some props a little, oh well, I guess it will have to wait...

I will be happy to continue answering questions as you ask.

Glenn

Kind of Ironic that Glen thought about that while laying in bed on night. Maybe that's what Mulder and Scully are thinking about! LOL

I guess all our good or bad ideas come while we spend those long sleepless nights in bed. My best boating ideas have definitely come while layning in the sack.

This is a test to see if the picture shows up. This is a shot of Ross and I on the driver's stand at our last time trial. Notice his boat coming down the front straight. Hope it works.

Glenn

Glenn -- send the pic to your photo editor, right click it, go to properties and change the color from 24 bit to 8 bit...that will cut the kb size to 1/3 the original with little difference in pic quality.

Glenn,

I have a hard time resizing too once they are taken. However, if I take the pictures at a lower setting to start with they work fine. I don't know about yours but mine has a menu with about 5 size settings and I use the smallest one for this forum.

Back