New .12 Texan SAW

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been very active lately...work is really keeping me busy.

I have been thinking that since I still haven't found a pipe that gets me over the 80 mph mark that maybe a good "plan B" would be to build a boat lighter than the first one (1 lb 10 oz RTR) and keep using the pipes I have.

So for the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been working on a new boat and just got it finished. It is built out of the same stuff as my other ones, and is the same size (in all the important diminsions), but by getting rid of some of the stuff that is "just along for the ride" I got it down to 1 lb 4 oz RTR.

I have not had to chance to run it yet, but will let you know what happens when I do...maybe it will work...maybe it won't! :)

Glenn

Hmmmm.........1 lb 4 oz..........80+ MPH.........me thinks thee shall need smooth water and absence of wind!

That's truckin, Glenn!

Glenn,

where in Georgia do you race?

my grandmother lives in Savannah, it would be cool to bring some boats down and see what you guys are doing sometime when im in town....

Joe

Glenn,

What are you looking for in a pipe? do you have something particular in mind? Maybe the guys here on the forum can help out!

Tim.

Joe, I live in Valdosta which is in the very southern part of the state...my pond is 13 miles from Florida.

Tim, I'm looking for a pipe with a shorter front cone than the MAC, OPS, etc. Right now I can't cut any more off the pipe to shorten it with out actually cutting into the cone (I don't want the end of the pipe to be any bigger than the end of the header).

I really need to try more car pipes...I only have one and it doesn't work to good. Any suggestions?

I have made a pipe, but haven't had the chance to try it...maybe it will tell me something.

Glenn

Glenn, nice work so light.

That's about the weight of just the engine isn't it ;D

On that pipe have you tried Andy Brown's new 21s that's supposed to be a small short pipe.

Tom

Glenn, nice work so light.

That's about the weight of just the engine isn't it ;D

On that pipe have you tried Andy Brown's new 21s that's supposed to be a small short pipe.

Tom

Tim, I'm looking for a pipe with a shorter front cone than the MAC, OPS, etc. Right now I can't cut any more off the pipe to shorten it with out actually cutting into the cone (I don't want the end of the pipe to be any bigger than the end of the header

Hi Glenn,

I really admired your Texan in Valdosta in January. Really excellent work!

For your new boat I would suggest to look for pipes used in Onroad cars for same engine displacement. Some of them are really powerfull (at least for .21 engines). Those pipes have also very short cones.

Keep the fingers crossed for the 80+

Kind regards

Petr

(Switzerland)

MikeP, the tub is made of plywood top and bottom with a foam/carbon/glass composite for the sides. It is very much like any other rigger is built with the exception of the composite sides and lots of thought about keeping it light.

Guys, thanks for the advice on pipes...I'm sure we will eventually find the right combination.

Glenn

Glenn -- I have the MIP 'Stinger' Eric mentioned on my .15 rigger. I can give you exact measurements if you need 'em. Should be able to tell you how it works after this weekend.

Why are they called 'hot water heaters'? Hot water doesn't need heated.

Hi Glenn,

Have you thought of trying one of Garcia's pipes. Particularly the 21 OB pipe - you could cut off the 180degreee header and just use a little stub bit. Very short, steep first cone. Worth a look.

A lot of the car pipes are more like a parabolic set-up - no definite front cone at all. Most likely way too much volume.

GT

Well, I got to run it yesterday.... ;D ;D ;D

I am happy with it so far even though I was just breaking in a new engine and didn't get enough time on it to lean it down much. It launched really good, turned OK and rode GREAT...just hope it stays the same as I start trying to make it go fast.

At this point I have no idea if it will get me to my goal, but it looks promising :)

Glenn

Tom, I made a really neat little add-on muffler out of a rubber exhaust elbow, some brass tube and a piece of nylon...it works pretty good and is light weight.

I'm still hoping to get a car pipe to work that is already muffled.

Glenn

If my memory serves me yet, you have a front exhaust motor. I picked up that expensive 2003 RCCA Buyer's Guide and scanned through it looking at the motors and pipes. Have you seen those short, fat pipes that Associated has? They are a one-piece unit with no header to speak of and do a 180 wrap around. dual chambered for extra quietness. I think that Trinity also has a pipe with a lot of low-end punch to it.

Back