New .12 Rigger Nitro Trident SR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi, we in Germany also developed our own .12 rigger, see the pics:

hydro_211_01.JPG

hydro_211_03.JPG

powerd by OS MAX CZ-MX12

No "in action" pics yet - they will follow next season.

for more pics visit http://www.hydroplane.de

you will also find a .21 and .45 rigger based on our own design

regards

Robert

[email protected]

alright Robert! I like to see origional designs!

nice web page as well...... now i just have to read German ;)

how does that go no spreknzdouitch?

The strut that I'm using is quite long. Does anyone think that this will put the prop too far back on the transom. Would having the rear-sponson far away from the prop (back-to-front) lessen their effectiveness at supporting the prop?

IM000788a.JPG

all the stuff i know about long stand-off struts is that they make the boat handle like it's bigger which is generally better....

Eric and Robert where are you guys getting that fuel tubing?? i've never seen neone green tubing before, all i have is plain ol' Traxxas blue and the gray-clearish kind. :p who knows, having bright colored fuel tubing might speed the boat up a little!!

Joe

you shouldnt have a problem with the hardwares size...... but dont hit anything with the fullers rudder or you will rip out your transom!

all the stuff i know about long stand-off struts is that they make the boat handle like it's bigger which is generally better....

Eric and Robert where are you guys getting that fuel tubing?? i've never seen neone green tubing before, all i have is plain ol' Traxxas blue and the gray-clearish kind. :p who knows, having bright colored fuel tubing might speed the boat up a little!!

Joe

I found the neone green tubing on ebay (about 20 meters for 15 euros...really cheap i think ;D) but i don't know who sells this normally :(

And you are right....having bright colored fuel tubing speeds up the boat like hell 8)

Dynamite / Horrizon Hobbies sells the colored fuel-line.

The colors don't last too long. By mid season it gets a little washed-out - Maybe it's all my blow-overs ;D

Hey Eric:

What material and thickness did you use for the sides of the tub? I'm looking forward to your first test results! :D

Pretty neat the way you put the engine over the booms. I'd be real interested to know how much weight is balanced on the prop. Sure don't think you'r going to want any lift in your props!

THanks,

Don

The tub sides are 1/8 balsa wood. Inside the engine compartment the balsa is laminated with 1/32 ply (sides and bottom). The outside of the tube sides are laminated with 1/64 ply.

IM000654a.JPG

The engine comparment is further reinforced with some 1/4 X 3/4 balsa sticks from front bulkhead to front of radio box compartment. These are really not needed as hull is plenty strong.

Tub bottom is 1/32 ply.

Tub top is 1/64 ply with 1/32 ply underneath the high stress areas (Radio box area and near bulkheads)

Sponsons:

Inside 1/8 balsa

Top and outside 1/64 ply

bottom 1/32 ply

Thanks Eric!

I'm building a tub right now with 1/8 FG/Balsa composite but I'm not sure I like the stuff all that well. Think I'll start on another tub and see

which one turns out the best.

Don

don... is that the stuff from acp? hows the weight/stiffness compared to light ply?

Hi Tom:

Yes, I bought a 6"X24" sheet from ACP after reading what you had learned from them. It is very very stiff. at least as stiff as 1/4" light ply.

It weighs about 27% more than 1/8" light ply. The finish is black, the surface is not real smooth and you can see and feel the cloth pattern. I put a good solid coat of west systems on one side of the sheet and sanded it down with a finishing sander and then steel wooled it. It added only 5 grams to the full sheet and now has a beautiful smooth black finish for the outsides of the tub. You really need to scratch up the insides to get the epoxy to stick well to the bulkheads. The nice thing about it is you won't have to do any more sealing to it. The light ply gets real heavy by the time you seal it good. I also got a sheet of the 1/4" FG/Foam. It looks about the same but is heavier and has less of a pattern in the surface. You will not need to strengthen the 1/8" unless you intend to put a screw through it. The FG coating is really thin and you can punch through it without much trouble.

Tom:

I'm not sure about that 27% heaver than LP. All I can tell you for sure is the full sheet (147.4 square inches weighed between 6 and 6.2 oz.

My digital scale only measures in .2 oz increments and by the way it went from 6 oz to 6.2 oz, I am guessing it to be 6.1 oz. Not sure but it looks more like 40% heaver than 1/8 LP.

Then again when I changed it to Kg scale it read 170 Gr which is more like 6 oz. : :)

Just a quick tip on weight reduction.

IM000727a.JPG

This is a 1/8 nylon tube with a piece of small fuel-tubing over it. The fuel line seals against the thin metal wire.

I wieghed the pull-start assembly on my TRX-PRO engine it was over 2 oz. The rear cover is only .4 oz. Also my RC Car tank was over 1 oz. heavier than the equivalent rc airplane tank.

So my hull is really under 2 lbs with the "correct" parts.

Got back from the pond. The Trident SR is a success!

Launched well every single time. In the rough with strong wind didn't miss a beat. Now I know why fast .12 are riggers...

IM000827a.JPG

I tried the Prather S215 with 10% Nitro. Speed-wise... Near the 40 mark. The front sponsons touch the water very lightly, at full flight it did not even leave a trace. Still need to do more testing with different props.

The cooling head was too large for the engine to warm up properly It's supposed to be near 200F I . I will cut away some heat-sink fins for the next run.

Here is the cover shot

nitrotridentsr.JPG

Eric,

The boat looks very clean on the water especially in front. I don't know but you might want to try a lifting prop or deepen the strut to get the rears off the water. It might just be that particular picture. :-

Sure would be nice to have one run that good right off the bat!

Nice going,

Don

P.S. What kind of angle of attack do you have on the front sponsons? Looks like a bunch!

The front sponson have 5.25 deg on the ride area. The bottom of the sponson is not flat, instead it curves up gradually increasing the AOA of the sponson. I did this to help the front of the boat climb out of the water.

Here is a picture of the CAD model. I will talk Tom to get it on the Intlwaters.com server.

NTSR1.JPG

Latest posts

Back