New .12 Rigger Nitro Trident SR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Perez

These are the first shots of my new Rigger. Still in the building phase. Got all fired up with the Hammer thread.

Po-Boy .12 pull-start.

I hope this thing will run.

Re:New .12 Rigger Po-Boy WIP

That looks sweet Eric! Is it the pic, or do the sponsons have some serious negative attack angle on the crowns? That thing looks like it's doin' 70 just sittin' there.... hehe ;D

The angle on the top is 5.4 deg. I guess the photo plus the crown makes it look like it's alot more.

More Pictures.

This is using the tuned pipe header from the Pro-Boats Miss Budwiser.

Fuel Tank is an Ofna design ment to be used for .12 cars.

eric,

are you planning on going w/ out back sponsons?

i know alot of riggers dont have them, but i dont see why the bottom corner of the transom doesnt drag on the water as you're starting off......

Joe

Yes, I will use rear sponsons , there will be mounted under the tub. Like the Eagle SG.

Some of the electric riggers are not using them in the rear. but that's because the electric motors have plenty of torque to launch.

On nitro's I find it helps with launching the boat. When the rigger is launched it does not have enough surface area to keep the prop from fully submerging. my .12 engine will not spin a S215 prop if it's fully submerged. At least not too long...

I will start with a 1/16 wire drive swinging a Y535, eventually I'll work my way up to a S215.

I should call this project Rigger-in-a-bottle. Ended up using a metal geared mini servo for the rudder.

Heya Eric! Looking good. I like your bullet tub. I would use a .150 flex cable set up. You will be able to spin a

215 with no problems. If you go any bigger, for example

the 220, you will go faster, but it will throw it around in the corners. I'm gonna try an H4 with my Hammerhead next. I will let you know how it goes.

If you want good consistant launches and a nice plane at full speed, I would make the angle of attack on your

front sponsons 4.5 degrees, and the rear sponsons should have 2.5 degrees plus or minus one. Run your

prop shaft so the bottom of the shaft is 1mm above the

running surface of the rear sponsons, and put your strut at 1.2 degrees. You are gonna love it

Keep us kids posted now. By the way! Thanks for the article on the BUD. Mine is still sitting on the sill of my living rooms bay window. I have to get it out of the

decoration mode here soon. Your article will help me get

it going. I already bought all the radio box stuff I'm gonna need. I decided to tear out the guides for the rods replace them with 7mm aluminum pipe and use accordian boots for the rod seals. I made two auto bailers, too. For the hatch, one of my buddies got a Bud at the same time as I did. He said, that his biggest complaint was the hatch being a pain to put back on after he got the engine started. This is what he did, it works great. I'm gonna do it, too.

1. He epoxied really thin walled brass pipe over the threaded studs that come out of the hull

2. He drilled the holes in the hatch to match the covered studs.

3. He cut 2 pieces of airbrush compressor hose about

3/8 of an inch long. (He had red hose)

4. He used a cupped bit and bevelled the upper edges of the covered studs.

5. Put the hatch on, and slide the hose over the studs

Takes 3 seconds to put the hatch on and secure it.

Hammer

Wow! Got some mail about the Auto Bailer. Well, Here it is. You decide how long you need it for your applications. Also, you will have to research what materials you will need. Do to the size of the pipe and the minimal size limit of these materials. I was able to make 30 of them for about 3 dollars. They work wonderful, and they are popular in my club.

I advice using a pipe cutter to cut the aluminum pipe, and soft hose provides a better seal. The ball should be able to move freely in the pipe.

Hammer thanks for the tips on the setup.

Here are more pictures of the build. I still have not built the rear, they will be like hammer suggested.

Eric,

Is there any particular reason the rear sponson boom is much lower on the tub? The reason I ask is one of the 12 riggers I saw had a LOT of trouble launching, and it turned out the problem was it was dragging the booms on launch. He fixed it by mounting the booms higher in the tub and sponsons.

Ian.

looking cool eric!

someone get me some kerosene....... ill make that pond thaw out yet!

To answer the question on the boom tubes.

The rear boom is set low so that the engine can sit up on top of it. Most designs have the engine in front of the rear boom. If you don't use a pull start then this usually turns out to be work ok. On my boats I've only used pull-start motors. If I used a more traditional boom height it would of required that I mount the engine almost 1" from the rear boom(To clear the pull-start). This would of put the CG too far back in the boat.

My previous riggers that I have built where for electric use. The rear boom was set low on those designs as well to allow the 6-cell pack to slide on top of the boom.

Speaking on the CG of the PO-BOY it's going to be like 1-1.5" back from the sponsons trailing edge.

I really hope this thing will work. I guess the building has been fun -I'm to the point that I can build anything that comes off my printer. Tom if my rigger design sinks -I'll build me a FF.

These are new pics showing the hull ready for the west-systems epoxy top-coat. The power-runes are sort of a special thing. My tribute to the Atlantean...

I'm working on the turn-fin mount; it will use a third graphite boom just behind the right sponson.

that looks really cool, and more importantly it looks like it'll get from one place to another in small amounts of time....what do the symbols mean/signify?

Joe

The runes are a copy of the one's on Conan's Atlantean sword from the Conan the Barbarian movie ( 1st one).

I'm not sure what the symbols mean -I hope it's something like I'm going to kick your "rear" in barbarian...

The rigger has been re-named to the Nitro Trident SR. The Po-boy was sort of lame sounding. If the boat does not work then I will paint a big PO-BOY on the side of the tub ;D

This weekend will be the maiden voyage of the Nitro Trident. If it runs ok I will e-mail the CAD prints to Tom so that anyone who is interested in bulding one can. No nice mesh drawings from me, but it will be good enough to cut patterns with and get you up and running. I have many pictures with details on building the boat -so it should not be too painfull for builders with experience in the WOF technique to make one.

Thanks to Hammer for his tips on the rear sponsons. They took a long time to make -but are executed with the full Hammer-Cut ®.

The hull in the previous picture is 10 oz. and it is as stiff as a 2X4 ! Check out the light-weight wooden engine mount.

Bouys beware the Trident is coming to town :-*

SR stands for Sport Rigger - I will be working with sub 1HP engines w/ pull starts. So most people with a regular .12-.15 engine will be able to make theirs work as well. No need to get an expensive re-worked race engine.

My ride-pads are 1.5 inches wide with no dihedral, this should help get the boat out in the open.

These are the pics for the rear sponsons

IM000734a.JPG

Here is the finished hull with West-Systems Epoxy 105/206. I tried the paper towel method and only gained 0.3 ounces on the hull. The Sharpie marker colors ran a little when wetted with the epoxy- Still looks interisting.

Also check out the turn fin support.

The tips that are given on International Waters are the best! Great looking water proof-job with no rounded edges. Note: The paper towel epoxy method does not add any strength to the hull it only water proofs the wood.

IM000760a.JPG

Back