Need to ID this old Hydro Hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it has a Dumas decal but don`t think its one.Its 38" long and made out of wood and balsa.If possible would like to know manufacturer,model and where to get a cowl for it.Thanks in advance for your help,.....Albert

Attachments

• 3k83m03o35V25U35R2a9t31382123747016ca.jpg
    3k83m03o35V25U35R2a9t31382123747016ca.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
it has a Dumas decal but don`t think its one.Its 38" long and made out of wood and balsa.If possible would like to know manufacturer,model and where to get a cowl for it.Thanks in advance for your help,.....Albert
I think thats an old JVS Claimjumper...at least thats what it looks like.....it was a pretty radical design back in the day....i think mid to late 1970s, early 1980s?

Claimjumpers were glass hulls but this one sure does look like one as Bill noted .
was told same thing at RRR and RCG but a guy in RCG states that all of them were made out of fiberglass,unless this is a ver early version that he doesnt know about.

Any of you guys know if it came with a cowl/hatch on it.And if so who may have one or can make a custom one,or get one from another hydro and make it fit with some mods?....Thanks a lot guys!!!.....Albert

Albert, i just looked at the pic again, and i realized that there are no open areas on either side of the cockpit/center section...the claimjumpers i believe, had "vents" to relieve air pressure, so unless that is some kind of early prototype of a Claimjumper, i dont know what the heck it is...looks like someone did a nice job on it though! I dont remember ever seeing a cowled Claimjumper......

Since I've never seen a Claim Jumper up close, I'm curious about one thing. Is the picklefork on that too deep to race under present rules? If not, it's darn close :unsure:

Awe Come on Bill - stick with your convictions - don't waffle on us now!!! Here's some ammunition in support. I don't believe I ever even saw one run. CHEERS !!! Bob

Well..went to see it and couldn`t resist its style and finish,so i bought it.Even thou i`m a FE guys i fell for it.So now what i thought was a Claimjumper is not after seeing the picture "Dasboatman" posted,plus Bill saying they used to have relief vents.On this one the nose is square compare to the one in the picture and it has no vents.I also measured it an its 35" from transom to center nose/sponson,and 40" from transom to side sponsons.Here are some pics for you guys to check .....maybe we can still find out what it is,but all in all i like it a lot,paint looks awesome and i still haven`t cleaned,polish it.If so let me know.......thank you all,.....Albert

Attachments

• Zi6_1345.JPG
    Zi6_1345.JPG
    713.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Zi6_1347.JPG
    Zi6_1347.JPG
    758.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Zi6_1342.JPG
    Zi6_1342.JPG
    750.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Zi6_1341.JPG
    Zi6_1341.JPG
    767.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Zi6_1344.JPG
    Zi6_1344.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Zi6_1343.JPG
    Zi6_1343.JPG
    758 KB · Views: 0
Since I've never seen a Claim Jumper up close, I'm curious about one thing. Is the picklefork on that too deep to race under present rules? If not, it's darn close :unsure:
Well, When we played Hockey, anything over a Dime on the hook was considered an illegal stick - but hey, the rules may have changed a bit since the olden-days. :lol:

Well, When we played Hockey, anything over a Dime on the hook was considered an illegal stick - but hey, the rules may have changed a bit since the olden-days. :lol:
That is why I said "Under present rules". It was legal when new, so my question is/was "what about now"?

I had that same boat.. It won me many races. Yes its an early model claim jumper. I loved that boat ! Its out of hand wild and fast ! That is a near exact version (with hardware)of the one I had. I ran it with an old OS 67. Only difference is that I used the octura wedge strut on there.. It is hard to keep on the water. Uses (or used to) an X462 prop.

Fun little hull.. Hope you can run it in a class!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well..went to see it and couldn`t resist its style and finish,so i bought it.Even thou i`m a FE guys i fell for it.So now what i thought was a Claimjumper is not after seeing the picture "Dasboatman" posted,plus Bill saying they used to have relief vents.On this one the nose is square compare to the one in the picture and it has no vents.I also measured it an its 35" from transom to center nose/sponson,and 40" from transom to side sponsons.Here are some pics for you guys to check .....maybe we can still find out what it is,but all in all i like it a lot,paint looks awesome and i still haven`t cleaned,polish it.If so let me know.......thank you all,.....Albert
Albert, It would be legal to run in whatever Hydro class it was designed for by engine size if you wanted to race it...maybe its a 40/60 boat?? Or just throw a motor in it and have fun! I always thought that was one of the COOLEST lookin boats there ever was, back in the day! BOB, if you read this, i must have a hundred old FM mags, but i just couldnt get off my LAZY ARSS to look in em! :D :D I think i only saw one Claimjumper run in 30+ years down here...i dont even remember how well it ran!COOL lookin boat though! I THOUGHT it was a glass boat by the pics Albert had!! Good luck with it Albert...it a pretty boat! :)

That is why I said "Under present rules". It was legal when new, so my question is/was "what about now"?
To the best of my knowledge the depth of the picklefork rule only applies to tunnel boats in NAMBA........that being so the Claimjumper was and is still a hydro....the depth rule does not apply......

"BOB, if you read this, i must have a hundred old FM mags, but i just couldnt get off my LAZY ARSS to look in em!"

Hey Bill,

I cheated - - I think the ad came from a series of old pictures Phil Thomas had in his album some time back that I saved to digital. I only have one Flying Models mag left - South Florida humidity turned it brown over the years, and something has been eating the paper - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

"BOB, if you read this, i must have a hundred old FM mags, but i just couldnt get off my LAZY ARSS to look in em!"

Hey Bill,

I cheated - - I think the ad came from a series of old pictures Phil Thomas had in his album some time back that I saved to digital. I only have one Flying Models mag left - South Florida humidity turned it brown over the years, and something has been eating the paper - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob
Funny thing.......the West Central Florida humidity seems to have the same EFFECT on this stuff!! :D :D Cool pic by the way! :)

Well,i`m not a racer,just a 46yr old pleasure/sport rcboater that started on the hobby only about 2yrs ago.No one near,just me.Racing action is too far away for me,near Houston and i`m in North FtWorth.To be sincere i bought the hydro in order to put a big Brushless motor in it and just have some fun.I have no experience whatsoever with combustion engines for this boats.If i stick with my plans i`ll be building a cowl for it in order to keep electronics safe.But you guys are making me think about sticking the right vintage engine in it.So if any cheap reliable motor,vintage or modern,suggestions like both Bills mentioned please let me know.I`m willing to hear about this and learn some more.

You guys have been of great help so far,and i can sense lots of yrs of racing experience and memories from you all also.Thanks much,...........Albert

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda remember Hobby Shack selling a boat that looked like the Claim Jumper back in the late 70's. It was a pilot kit. Regardless, great looking boat!! Have fun with it!

And there are a few guys running boats in north Texas. You just need to know what rock to look under....

Cheers,

Will

The vented hull was the early Claim Jumper and Vern Schmidt

changed it to a standard hull due to ease of manufacturing.

When I would go home on leave while I was in the military,

i always made it a point to visit Vern and he took me out

to the lake in So. Cal for the day and we had a blast.

There was on mod to the hull that made it work great.

you make under hull solid sponsons aprox 6 inches long,

3/8" deep by 5/8" wide nicely tapered to a point then glued

under the rear outer section of the hull. This kept the boat plaining

straight and level and reduced the tendency to blow off the water.

hope this helps.

Carl

I had one and put a Picco Hydro 90 in it. went like a frapping rocket!!!!!!!!!!!

Back