Need some opinions and input regarding buying a new hydroplane.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Brumfield

I've made up my mind that I want a large-ish hydroplane, and I need some advice as to what hull and setup will suit my needs best.

I plan on using it mostly for grins, I have a group of friends that all get together on sundays and just run boats and bench race, we all have minis, nitro hydros (they have proboat elams and I have a vegas deuce) and we have a few others as well.. we have plenty of pond and I have been looking at the aeromarine X-sport hydro, with a gas hardware kit and zenoah engine, but I really like the scale appearance of their 1/8th scale boats.. I don't see gas kits for these though and I wonder if the interior is too small?

I would also like the ability to go race, I live in central ohio and it looks like some bigger races go down not far from me.. I don't want to be in a class that has a million rules like the scale stuff on 1/8th scale racing.. but I also want to have a boat that fits a class that usually sees some entrants..

I just read somewhere else here that the rules are changing and the new gas hulls look more like modified riggers (like the insane G4 maybe? thats what I think of when I see that) and I DO prefer a more scale appearing boat.. so a populated class that runs big hydros and can use fictional liveries, with a not too intensive rules package..

What should I be looking at? Im figuring 1500.00 to do the aeromarine boat, I have electronics already..

If the answer is an 1/8th scale boat, what engines are being run? I have looked at the rulebooks but that doesn't really tell me what kind of setup I should be after to be able to compete.

I do have a fairlyy extensive off road racing background and experience with nitro motors, the attractive part of gasoline is the (relatively) inexpensive cost as model fuel.

I'm sure I left out important info, but any help is appreciated, I just dont wanna buy / build a boat, and get to the pond and find out I shoulda gone a different direction..

Id say your answer would be a gas sport hydro. Your in D-2 IMPBA gas heaven,my advise is a gas Whiplash Quick build is the GV glass version, easily a 70 mph boat with lots of racers in that class hop over to Blazermarine.com and have a look.....

Go with a gas THUNDERBOAT > stock engine { CHEEP } .............. AND A BLAST TO RACE....

yOU WOULD LUV IT

Rick R

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohio is huge with Gas Sport Hydros and have a good following of Gas Thunderboats. Our Whiplash GV is similar to a Jones style of hydro. The new Backlash is similar to a Staudacher. Our Lauterbach is a replica of the real thing. We hold about every record out there and have over 20 National Championships. It all depends on if you want to build a boat from wood, or buy a fiberglass hull.

The Aeromarine X sport Hydro is not competitive if you want to race. It would be a good rough water boat though.

First, thanks for all the great responses, I have alot better idea how to proceed. I certainly dont want a boat that isn't race legal (or raced) so an alternative to the aeromarine sounds like a must if I wanna go gas (I do)

Can someone compare to me the level of complexity of building a dumas balsa and tissue airplane and the lauterbach kit? I built alot of the biplanes and scale looking stuff.. is this harder or easier in comparison? My workspace is somewhat limited and I dont want to bight off more than I can chew.. so I have been leaning towards the fiberglass hull build.. I'll build a kit at a later date I think..

I like the GV hull, I've looked at the Blazer lineup before.. that is definitely an option.. I'll investigate the thunderboats too, but 'stock engine' racing doesn't do much for me, unless thats what everyone else is racing.. I dunno about boats but in RC cars racing, anyone fast is instantly branded a cheater in those kinds of classes lol.. I like 'open' and 'modified' classes if it has tires on it :)

The Thunderboat might be the way to go. It is a stock class. The Blazer kit is a good one and so is the R/C Boat Co. Hull. Which is Fiberglass. Both hulls will perform well in the stock class. They both can be built to Scale and run in the Gas Scale class when it comes available in your area. The Gas Scale's can run up to 31 cc full mods. Around 65-70 mph in heat racing trim as compared to the T-boats at 55 with a stock engine. Check out our website at pnwta.org for more info on the Gas Scale Class. As with my TEMPO VII. you get the best of both worlds. Run a stock engine in the T-boat class and swap min a monster for the Gas Scale class.

The hull is from R/C boat Co. The U-95 video on my channel is a wood hull built specificly for the Gas Scale Class. The Miss US video is also a wood hull built from Newton plans and can run either class with a simple engine swap. Enjoy the videos and good luck with your choice. John

If your good with building buy a Backlash from Blazer marine.These are very fast easy to setup.

IMG_3177.jpg

Is the sheeting for the kit all laser cut too? The framing looks fairly straighforward (rubber powered balsa planes are like building with toothpicks lol)

I know its a bit of a loaded question, but how long in hours would an average builder spend assembling the lauderbach or backlash?

Im leaning toward fiberglass still.. but I DO want to build one as well, I just think thats better left for next winter, I want to get on the water fairly quick. I also lack a large flat building surface..

Aeromarine dropped sponson shovel nose a decent boat? Someone mentioned that earlier too, it looked like a possible option.. I wish the boat sites had more info and pictures on the boats, some are better than others but almost without exception, info is sparse. Phil Thomas' site is about the best, but Im not looking to spend big money on boat fuel if I dont have to.

Thanks for posting my site John. ML Boatworks is developing a gas sport hydroplane and thunderboat David Newton and I are working on right now with the intentions of competing with the best of them. I hope to have the designs done soon. Mike

Thanks for posting my site John. ML Boatworks is developing a gas sport hydroplane and thunderboat David Newton and I are working on right now with the intentions of competing with the best of them. I hope to have the designs done soon. Mike
Great news always nice to have lots of choices on top quality hulls.

I can build a blazer whiplash or backlash in three weeks,the Lauterbach takes 4 weeks.Thats framing it the first day 3 hours and about a hour a nite till its done

Racing in the Stock engined Thunderboat class will be some of the most heart thumping competitive racing you'll ever experience.

Thanks again for all the input, I'm still on the fence, but I also still have about a week or so to make a decision.. I've visited all of the sites listed, and don't think I could go wrong with virtually any of the kits.. and there are several I'd love to build..

I'll probably stick with a glass or epoxy hull this time, I'll be able to build a better hull if I wait 6 months to do it..

I'm on my way.. ordered a gizmo motors GZ2 and pipe today, should be ordering a whiplash gv and hardware from Blazer before the end of the week.. I like that I can support American businesses, bonus points for Blazer being in my home state..

I can't wait, I'm excited to get this boat assembled on the water :)

GREAT CALL my son has one and its awesome. Maybe he will let me drive his this year. If you make the Can Am race in Celina I can see your purchase.......

I intend to at least come check it out :)

I think I made the best choice for me anyway, I'm sure thunderboats are a riot as well, and building one up from a kit appeals to me, but I want to be on the water quicker than that this summer.. plus I imagine the experience from setting up and running the GV should help when it comes time to build one in wood..

I figure I cant go wrong buying the hull and hardware from people that only do hydros.. I plan on using a fuel bag setup, the bucks bags, and I am going to get the super bee kill switch. I'll also follow the prop recommendations for the boat.. I have an HS-7940TH servo for the rudder, need a second hi volt servo for the throttle, and I'll have all the electronics... hopefully when I start the build it'll pretty much all be here..

Trying to find a painter locally that can do what I want in a reasonable time frame.. it might be easier to buy the guns and compressor lol..

well, everything is ordered, commence the waiting :) I still have a couple odds and ends to gather up, but all the main components should be here soon.. still need a prop, I have an aquacraft 67 * 105/3 3 blade prop on hand (oem for a rio 51) and I was planning on getting the recommended abc prop, anyone have any suggestions beyond ordering propshop props from the UK?

well, everything is ordered, commence the waiting :) I still have a couple odds and ends to gather up, but all the main components should be here soon.. still need a prop, I have an aquacraft 67 * 105/3 3 blade prop on hand (oem for a rio 51) and I was planning on getting the recommended abc prop, anyone have any suggestions beyond ordering propshop props from the UK?
The Seaducer sport hydro prop is a good fit

Latest posts

Back