NAMBA Straightlines at Legg Lake

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Bontoff was using a MAC .21.... Imagine that, another record set with a MAC.

Well........TWO new records with MAC. One had a green head and CMB engraved on the side!

Good job Mike and Mark!
And as it probably true in both instances, and certainly true for Mark, what's engraved on the side is probably the only thing that is still the same as it came in the box!

Mike Bontoff was using a MAC .21.... Imagine that, another record set with a MAC.

Well........TWO new records with MAC. One had a green head and CMB engraved on the side!

Good job Mike and Mark!
And as it probably true in both instances, and certainly true for Mark, what's engraved on the side is probably the only thing that is still the same as it came in the box!
That's true Chris, they won't run that fast stock.

Quote "Fastest pass of the weekend was 119.6 by Don Maher with his X Hydro"

hmm, just a little bit more and Don could add " NAMBA's fastest nitro boater" to the "NAMBA's quickest Nitro boater" ( referring to his super duper two lap 1/3 mile time). That would be really cool.

Old guys rock!!

Rudy

Last edited by a moderator:

hmm, just a little bit more and Don could add " NAMBA's fastest nitro boater" to the "NAMBA's quickest Nitro boater" ( referring to his super duper two lap 1/3 mile time). That would be really cool.

Old guys rock!!

Rudy
:ph34r: What kind of size engine? also kind of rigger for Don Maher? almost beat to Andy Brown in history record ? Whew !! :eek:

Does the outboard motor on the Secret Weapon boat swivel like a conventional outboard motor.

The green one says GRIM CMB on it!......and it dont look like a mac to me!.....the intake system was built by Chris Grim and it's not the mac style!

Old guys rock!!

Rudy
Actually Don has a little way to go on the fastest but is more than capable of getting there. Mark had a one way pass either last year or the year before at 133 mph with his X Hydro.

hmm, just a little bit more and Don could add " World's fastest nitro boater" to the "World's quickest Nitro boater" ( referring to his super duper two lap 1/3 mile time). That would be really cool.
And that two lap time would be??
Okay guys...all the NAMBA records are published on the NAMBA website and were updated yesterday to include some records from the Fast Electric Nationals on the M Offshore course, and the Nitro Straightlines in October and Electric Straightlines in November.

Old guys rock!!

Rudy
:ph34r: What kind of size engine? also kind of rigger for Don Maher? almost beat to Andy Brown in history record ? Whew !! :eek:
We will have to check on the engine. Don from time to time still runs the good ole' Picco and has brought out a K&B not too long ago. Could be the CMB though. Just like Mark, Don builds his own boats. I'm lucky enough to have a B Hydro that Don built.

Does the outboard motor on the Secret Weapon boat swivel like a conventional outboard motor.
Yes. Per the NAMBA rules, "the outboard shall be the only means of controlling the direction of the boat."

The green one says GRIM CMB on it!......and it dont look like a mac to me!.....the intake system was built by Chris Grim and it's not the mac style!
Hey Scott...was that GRIM CMB on there the same way you did the other one? We need to talk. You have my number?

hmm, just a little bit more and Don could add " World's fastest nitro boater" to the "World's quickest Nitro boater" ( referring to his super duper two lap 1/3 mile time). That would be really cool.
Found Don's record on NAMBA site, definitely not too shabby-

X Hydro- Don Maher- Date-03-01 time- 17.57 speed- 68.31mph

Take a peak at the team record of John Finch & Kentley Porter for IMPBA F hydro-

F hydro- Porter/Finch- Date- 11-00 time- 16.57 speed- 72.38mph

Either way those are both impressive times. One thing I hate though is the mph, rather deceiving to what's really going on. We were getting John hittin' into the turns at over 100 on radar. It's funny how sometimes when a record gets read you'll overhear something like "72? My (fill in brand here) boat can go faster than that" :rolleyes:

Hey RUDY, RIGHT ON!!! Us old guys STILL ROCK!!!!!!! :lol:

Don, ya the thing about the mph is sure misconceiving. My mph was 88-89 when I made that record run.( can't believe it still stands ) That boat has had turning isues from the time it hit the water,just will not hold a corner. As a matter of fact Andy was here when it first got wet. I think it was about 6 mo. before the record, boat never got much better.

Andy, not trying to slam you but you really need to stop with the cmb/mac thing. Everyone has heard it over & over. We don't know or need to, the details of mac/cmb breakup. Putting down cmb or any other person,place or thing just makes you look small. I know you are a much bigger person than that. Your accomplishments & records speak for themself.

Don :)

Hey RUDY, RIGHT ON!!! Us old guys STILL ROCK!!!!!!! :lol:

Andy, not trying to slam you but you really need to stop with the cmb/mac thing. Everyone has heard it over & over. We don't know or need to, the details of mac/cmb breakup. Putting down cmb or any other person,place or thing just makes you look small. I know you are a much bigger person than that. Your accomplishments & records speak for themself.

Yep, you are right Don. Bad blood brings out the worst in all of us.

Hey! I know a group of 5 or 6 Southern California guys that started an IMPBA club about 5 years ago

for the purpose of holding IMPBA record trials.

It is certainly ironic that the registered name of the club was MAC SMACKERS. That group of guys were all running Picco back then. So obviously it's much more than a CMB/MAC thing.

Guess the darkside really does exist in all of us.

Come on now Andy, You know that whole mac smackers thing was in fun & got started because of your then bud Eric McNnir. :p

Come on now Andy, You know that whole mac smackers thing was in fun & got started because of your then bud Eric McNnir. :p

Yep! It's all in fun Don.....sometimes I just like to keep the facts straight. In case you missed it I did say "Good job Mark" in my post earlier today.

My emoticons don't work on this computer, so a little is missing in my posts. :)

Andy, Its all good!!!!

Rudy, just so you know ( if you didn't ) on the next pass after the 119, the boat blew off , broke & sank.

Thank god for my good bud Mark Grim ( swear he has x ray vision) in ten min. he had all the bits & pieces in the retrieve boat. ( UGLY) :(

Three things to clear up for the record:

1. The "GRIM CMB" is cut into the custom carb and is not on the case, head, or any other original part. I have been promised that I will have a picture of the engine and pipe to post tonight. I will post when I get it wheter it's tonight or not.

2. Okay, I'm a big boy and can admit that I was one of the 5 Southern California guys that started an IMPBA club five some years ago and yeah, we did call it the MAC SMACKERS. Holy Cow! I think I was indicated as the Commodore for that club! In fact, I will admit that I was the one that coined the title of MAC DADDY on Eric McNair in 2000 when I was the CD for some heats he was running. Hey, does that mean I get credit for the use of MAC DADDY in the CMDI marketing? Wishful thinking! I now, though, proudly race in Florida and enjoy the company of the NAMBA 3 members out here though my heart still resides in Southern California.

3. Don had a CMB in his X Hydro this weekend. Great job Grandpa! Can't wait to see you in January and to have you out here for the 500 in February! We absolutely will spend some time at the lake while you and Mark are here.

In my trailer I now have K&B, CMB, OS, and NovaRossi. So much for brand loyalty.

I can appreciate a fast boat no matter what's under the hood. At the end of the day we're all here to have fun, be competitive, and spend lots and lots of money doing what we love.

Attached are some pictures of Mike Bontoft's outboard hydro.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Back in co,co,co,cold Washington state. We (me and Lohring Miller) had a fantastic time in California and I want to thank all the guys that helped put on another truly great straightline event. I got the 3.5 outboard hydro record on the first day and spent the next two days carefully modifying the setup only to succeed in making a slower, ill handling boat, anyone that thinks this SAW stuff is easy should give it a try. Frustration aside, yes its always nice to come away from one of these events with a record but with people like Mark Grim, Don Mayer, Jimmy Jonson, Jerry Crowther,Scott Buchie in attendence I come back with far more than a record,

KNOWLEDGE!

Mike

Back