NAMBA Straightlines at Legg Lake

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many Kudos to all at the time trials and thanks for the great time Jerry and I had and I was most happy and pleased to be part of the first g1 sport hydro to go over 91 mph and the best part it was my boat !!!!! :D

It was a great achievment for a stock heat racing boat to break the record :) and by 14 mph

It was also great because I was there for her sister's madien voyage and now to see her over 90 wow B)

And another great experience was to be there and pit the the first x mono to go over 91 in NMABA with a two way average of 88 once again driven by Jerry Go CMB's

he better not look in his suitcase it might be missing B) and soon in my mono...

Dave B

Once again Thanks to the Siemic Amigos, dist 19, Mark Chris, Don, Scott. Mike and if I forgot someone your thanked also...

I will be back at the next trials

I want to congratulate not only to the guys who elevated their respective class records, and there were many, but everyone that put a hull in the water and made an attempt to beat the clock.

November in California can be a blessing or a curse for straightlines, and the conditions were as good as it gets. Little to no wind, Flat water in the AM and PM, with some light rough stuff for the monos and tunnels around noon. Cool dry air with temperatures in the 50's in the morning and mid to upper 70's in the afternoon were the order of the day.

It's always great to see participants from other countries, like Tony Grinter from Australia (with the smoothest running hydros), as well as around the USA, like Jerry Crowther, Mike Bontoff & Lohring Milller, and Dave "pitman" Bestpitch come run thier gear.

Seeing local guys like Steve O'Donnell and crew back at the lake with a pair of hydros (I have never seen a motor run, stick and die, then start again in the water), the excitement and dissapointment of Don Maher making it "click" to run the fastest one way pass of the day, only because the boat crashed during the backup pass, and Scott Bouchie work to get through all the gremlins, not give up, and still turn personal best times. Chris Grim worked his tail off, but it just was not in the cards for him on Sunday.

Watching Jimmy Johnson's A-OPC Lynx and B-OPC Seismic Aftershock Tunnels fly and raise records is amazing.

I know Mike Bontoff will go back to the shop and do some minor mods to that bullet of a .21 OB Hydro to make it stronger and faster and even better handling and come back and bump the record up some more.

Mark Grim boosted the .21 hydro record by a handful with one of the most beautiful set of passes around. The pass at over 100mph would have been backed up had it not run out of fuel.

Jerry Crowther trounced his class records. He added 14 mph to G1-Sport hydro. His X Mono was the last boat on the water for the day Sunday, and every pass was faster and faster. That the motor actually survived, I almost believe, was due to the sheer will of everyone on the beach hoping it would hold together. During the teardown, you could see it was in need of new rear bearings.

All I have to say to the "posters" with "comments" here is this; come on out, put down your entry fee, let me put you on the running order sheet, and when I call your name, you put your boat in the water, and run against the clocks. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully you will have a great time too. I know I did.

I want to congratulate not only to the guys who elevated their respective class records, and there were many, but everyone that put a hull in the water and made an attempt to beat the clock.

November in California can be a blessing or a curse for straightlines, and the conditions were as good as it gets. Little to no wind, Flat water in the AM and PM, with some light rough stuff for the monos and tunnels around noon. Cool dry air with temperatures in the 50's in the morning and mid to upper 70's in the afternoon were the order of the day.

It's always great to see participants from other countries, like Tony Grinter from Australia (with the smoothest running hydros), as well as around the USA, like Jerry Crowther, Mike Bontoff & Lohring Milller, and Dave "pitman" Bestpitch come run thier gear.

Seeing local guys like Steve O'Donnell and crew back at the lake with a pair of hydros (I have never seen a motor run, stick and die, then start again in the water), the excitement and dissapointment of Don Maher making it "click" to run the fastest one way pass of the day, only because the boat crashed during the backup pass, and Scott Bouchie work to get through all the gremlins, not give up, and still turn personal best times. Chris Grim worked his tail off, but it just was not in the cards for him on Sunday.

Watching Jimmy Johnson's A-OPC Lynx and B-OPC Seismic Aftershock Tunnels fly and raise records is amazing.

I know Mike Bontoff will go back to the shop and do some minor mods to that bullet of a .21 OB Hydro to make it stronger and faster and even better handling and come back and bump the record up some more.

Mark Grim boosted the .21 hydro record by a handful with one of the most beautiful set of passes around. The pass at over 100mph would have been backed up had it not run out of fuel.

Jerry Crowther trounced his class records. He added 14 mph to G1-Sport hydro. His X Mono was the last boat on the water for the day Sunday, and every pass was faster and faster. That the motor actually survived, I almost believe, was due to the sheer will of everyone on the beach hoping it would hold together. During the teardown, you could see it was in need of new rear bearings.

All I have to say to the "posters" with "comments" here is this; come on out, put down your entry fee, let me put you on the running order sheet, and when I call your name, you put your boat in the water, and run against the clocks. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully you will have a great time too. I know I did.
I didn't see the numbers posted on this thread but after talking to Jimmy Johnson the other night, I understand that he has pushed the NAMBA 7.5cc stock SAW record up to 61 MPH now. GREAT JOB!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to those who set new records & to every one who participated! This is what keeps our hobby alive & growing!

Jim :) :) :)

I didn't see the numbers posted on this thread but after talking to Jimmy Johnson the other night, I understand that he has pushed the NAMBA 7.5cc stock SAW record up to 61 MPH now. GREAT JOB!
It's aaaallllllll the way back in the very first post. What's not posted is that he had a 64 mph one way pass! Guys, I didn't know a K&B Stock Outboard could hold together at the RPM necessary to get that speed. By the way, it's a PRO (Red Head). It wasn't too long ago that the NAMBA B (.45) Mod record was 58 mph with a K&B and now the stock record is 3 mph over that with more there.

Jimmy is an amazing Outboard talent. If you look at the NAMBA straightline and two lap records, all but one of them was with either with a boat Jimmy owned and drove, owned and set up, or was involved with as part of a team effort. I can't say enough about what his contributions have been over the years and how us hooking up with Mark Grim, Chris Grim, and the rest of the Three Amigos team has helped take us to the next level.

To all the guys on the SEISMIC AMIGOS Team ( gals too)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Without your help none of the SAW,2-LAP or HEAT races could or would be put on.

A very special thank you to MARK,CHRIS & KIM GRIM who work their butts off at all of the races.

And to MIKE DAVIS for running the clocks & putting up with me asking " Am I up yet? "

Don :)

Lohring--- Thanks for posting the picture of Mike's design, more innovative than I ever thought, glad you guys had good performance, would think that boat took a lot of lake time to get setup right.

Don Maher-- no I didn't know you crashed, only know what's been posted here, Thanks to Chris W for posting, otherwise wouldn't have known it even happened. Building a new PT SSP40 II for next year, maybe I can make the next two lap, let me know when the next ones are planned. Not much on SAW, but get a kick out of 2 lap, fun to run even if ya don't go quick. Seein' Steve O' turn that 45 2lap time still is a great memory, wish I could of seen your 2lap run, bet ya had a biggggg smile. Have to check with Wilson and see if he would want to go, now that his calender is a little more clear. Having a bud to share gas and motel with would sure help.

Rudy

JUST A QUICK NOTE BEING A MEMBER OF NAMBA DIST. 19 I STARTETED RACING BACK IN 1985 AS A 13 YEAR OLD KID AND WATCHING DON MAHER,MARK GRIM,JACK OXLEY THESE GUYS WERE MY HEROS THEY WERE FAST BACK THEN AND AND THEY ARE FAST NOW.I REMEMBER DON MAHER RUNNING A GAIL FORCE C HYDRO WITH A K&B .67 BACK THEN RAN A 5 LAP HEAT RACE UNDER 60 SECONDS. THAT ALL BLEW US AWAY.I'M PROUD TO BE IN THE SAME DISTRICT AS THESE GUYS AND TO HAVE GROWN UP WATCHING THESE GUYS SET ALL THESE RECORDS YEAR AFTER YEAR.

4-EST PERFORMANCE,

Thank you for the kind words. That old 67 K&B was done by none other than the new dist. 19 director Mark Grim.

Don. :) :) :)

Rudy,

Tenitive dates for 2-lap TT are APR 29-30 & SEPT 23-24 2006

Hope you & Jim can make it one or both dates. The full race schedule will be on the dist. 19 web site after our meeting Dec. 10.

Don :) :) :)

4-EST

Depends on how much time he has & how ( sweet ) you talk to him. :lol:

Rudy,

Tenitive dates for 2-lap TT are APR 29-30 & SEPT 23-24 2006

Hope you & Jim can make it one or both dates. The full race schedule will be on the dist. 19 web site after our meeting Dec. 10.

Don :) :) :)

4-EST

Depends on how much time he has & how ( sweet ) you talk to him. :lol:

:unsure: Please take pictures for SAW next time because Everybody says doubt so see proof Hull+Engine+prop That"s why!! Thanks, Allan

Allan,

I think Chris Wittrig will post pics. as soon as he get a copy. Tony Grinter shot almost every run on video. He will send a copy as soon as he gets back home ( Down Under ).

Allan,

I think Chris Wittrig will post pics. as soon as he get a copy. Tony Grinter shot almost every run on video. He will send a copy as soon as he gets back home ( Down Under ).

Apparently it takes a while to get a picture all the way out here to Florida from California. :blink:

Yes, as soon as I get the pictures I will post. I hear I will get pictures of the engine and pipe, but no picture of the boat. :unsure:

I just got the photos and published them to a user gallery. Click here to see them.
What's the big deal with covering the tub and sponsons?? Kentley Porter's made plenty 21 SAW one way passes at & over 100mph & his whole boat's been shown numerous times all over the 'net. As a matter of fact it's the same hull Preston used to break the .12 records, I'll even post the link to Preston's pics page for everyone to see it again-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...?album=66&pos=0

Kentley was makin' multiple 100mph+ passes with his 21 a few years ago, mother nature just wouldn't cooperate on the back up runs into the wind. Going that fast with a 21 is a great accomplishment for anyone on that there is absolutely no doubt. But geez, ya think someone was re-inventing the wheel. :rolleyes:

Doesn't look like Mark wants to reveal yet what his sponson design is for the .21, nor what the pipe looks like. You know, it's his choice and it's really no different than the reason why an open wheel race team puts covers on their front and rear wings when they come in the pit on practice and qualifying days to mask their wing angle from the competitors or how NASCAR teams sometimes creatively use tape to visually alter the lines of things they are doing on the nose of the car. In fact, I remember a few years ago that the DEI NASCAR team didn't want anybody who was the member of another NASCAR team taking pictures of (I believe) Waltrip's car in the Daytona USA after it won the 500 so as not to give up something they may have had going on. It was also said that some guys were going in there with tape measures to get some info off the car as well.

I guess if anybody is interested enough they will either have to butter up Mark to get the info, or go out to the next event.

Allen; What part of what are you or others doubting?

Tony Grinter and Don Maher had video cameras and recorded nearly every run at the lake. Video and still photography is not a requirement for documentation, and if they decide to post pictures or video is their choice.

Every aspect of the SAW is documented in accordance with NAMBA and the course surveyed. All times are computer recorded with date and time stamp. This course and the events are well respected worldwide.

At this event, I was the responsible party on Saturday and Sunday for all timing and coordiation of all the participants. I also verified all tech inspections before putting my name on the record sheets. Since I participate in only Heat Racing and 2 lap, I have no vested interest in SAW participant results. There are also all the participants and people that came by as witness to the event.

I invite anyone doubting to come and be witness to our events, or, better yet, bring a boat and prove what you got.

I just got the photos and published them to a user gallery. Click here to see them.
;) Thats better to see super modified CMB Valvola seem drum housning from K&B 21 inboard? but Mark doesnt allow to show sponsons and rudder and strut so keep sercet how to trick fast!!! :( I dont know WHY!! I looked at web:IMPBA East Coast very good show full picture of hull+engine+prop so they talk good share more information how to learn set on fastest ;)

;) Thats better to see super modified CMB Valvola seem drum housning from K&B 21 inboard? but Mark doesnt allow to show sponsons and rudder and strut so keep sercet how to trick fast!!! :( I dont know WHY!! I looked at web:IMPBA East Coast very good show full picture of hull+engine+prop so they talk good share more information how to learn set on fastest ;)
Well, I'm not here to defend Mark's choice not to show anything but the engine itself, but there are a few things I know:

1. Sponson design is critical. As Don said above, Kentley was able to make multiple 100+ mph passes but was having problems with the boat cooperating going into the wind. One thing I know, Mark has been able to take that boat both directions wind or no wind. Why? You guess.

2. Mark has helped nearly everybody who has attended the straighlines in Los Angeles since I've been attending them over the past six years. Look at the record sheets, and don't just look at Nitro. Props Grim/Octura; Engines Grim/CMB Grim/NovaRossi, Grim/Picco...even where credit has not been given Mark has always had his prop pliers in hand and helps people out. Hey, look at Jeff Michaud's G-1 Hydro record. If you remember the picutres of the boat what did it say on the side? Insane Grim. I'm sure you can guess why. There are other people out there that contribute in the same way and deserve the credit they get as well. Andy Brown comes to mind

Does all this mean that he's going to give you all his secrets from how he builds his own boat to how he incorporates sponsons to how much pitch/cup/diameter his prop has to how deep the strut is to what pipe he is using? Why bother going out and doing this if you are just using somebody else's ideas and setup? Sure, take design queues based on what you have seen be successful, but you would be best served being there to see it yourself instead of expecting that somebody is going to publish a full set of diagrams and specifications to help you do it. Microsoft isn't just giving their code base for their Microsoft Office product line to their competition just because they like them, but their competition (namely Google right now) has seen something that is successful and will build a competing product with their own value add attached. Hey, Mark's engine was a CMB Valvola. What's left of the original Valvola that came in the box? Well...the case looks the same on the outside and the head is still green. Gone is the carb, gone I'm sure is the original head, porting, timing, on and on. Oh yeah, the prop was an Octura 2047...at least it was when it came out of the bag. Who knows how you would classify it now.

I have previously published photos of our .45 Mod Tunnel that holds the two way average of 77.31 mph and has several passes at 80 mph. Those pictures are of the wings we added to help the boat transition and hold a good ride attitude at top end without carrying so much weight that it caused the boat to bow steer on the low end. There's also a picture of the back of the boat in the May 2004 NAMBA Propwash (can be found on the NAMBA website). There was a time that we covered up the boat when not running it and we were okay to publish the photos of the wings both because the geometry of the wings is very specific to the particular purpose and speed envelope they operate in, and you can't easily determine that geometry from the photos. When Jeff Michaud first brought his G-1 Hydro to the Straightline he covered the boat up and nobody but members of our team were allowed in the area where the boat was. His choice.

Bottom line is poeple choose whether or when they want to share their secrets. That's their choice. Because somebody else may have handled it differently does not make either decision right or wrong.

Latest posts

Back