NAMBA Rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRUCKPULL

Here is a question for all the NAMBA rule experts.

Are strakes that end under the hull alowed to be cut off at 90 degrees.

see piture below.

If cut off strakes are allowed I would build a mono with 16 strakes 3/4 ' wide and 1/4" deep, 8 on each side.

4 on each side starting at the front, ending at mid hull. Then 4 more on each side starting at mid, and ending at 3/4 hull.

This setup would be a complete stepped mono.

If cut off strakes are legal in NAMBA.

You could run this stepped hull in Mono Oval class.

LARRY

TRUCKPULL said:
If cut off strakes are allowed I would build a mono with 16 strakes 3/4 ' wide and 1/4" deep, 8 on each side.

4 on each side starting at the front, ending at mid hull. Then 4 more on each side starting at mid, and ending at 3/4 hull.
Even if this was not illegal by the book you would be wasting your time. Everyone of those squared ends would pull a suction pocket behind them. I have done enough tow testing to know this. And because there would be so many "steps" in that configuration, not only would there be suction voids but also a loss of hydrodynamic lift behind the mid point of the hull. The big offshore race boats that use step hulls are not just using the squared step approach. They are using a positive lift, multi plane angle technology that prevents suction.

I do not want to build this hull.

What I am asking is - are the strakes in the above picture legal??

I remember reading somthing about continous wetted surface on a Mono.

IMPBA rule - 3. 3. Strakes terminating before the transom cannot have squared ends creating a step; they must be faired.

LARRY

Last edited by a moderator:
In the NAMBA rules it does indicate at what angle you have to terminate the strakes.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

President-Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association

Larry,

I have sent you two jpegs of the pages that explain what is required for a boat to be classified as a mono. I hope that the files were not too big.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Larry, your e-mail was returned to me.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Recipient: <[email protected]>

Reason: Invalid recipient: <[email protected]>

Please reply to <AdminContact>

if you feel this message to be in error.

Larry, I give up............ you just may have to join NAMBA to get a rule book ;)

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Latest posts

Back