My new .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I'm working on fitting the cowl. This is how it's looking. I will glue a small block of foam flotation into it in case it blows of. When I first started building this rigger, I never intended on using a cowl, so being that I purchased this cowl after I had completed the tub, I had to make it work around the tub. I will more than likely use radio box tape to secure it. Some of my planes make good use of rare earth magnets to hold canopies and cowling on. I wonder, have any of you used them with boats?

Marty

Right now I'm working on fitting the cowl. This is how it's looking. I will glue a small block of foam flotation into it in case it blows of. When I first started building this rigger, I never intended on using a cowl, so being that I purchased this cowl after I had completed the tub, I had to make it work around the tub. I will more than likely use radio box tape to secure it. Some of my planes make good use of rare earth magnets to hold canopies and cowling on. I wonder, have any of you used them with boats?

Marty
should work. I'd used a body mount pin to hold the back of my cowl with body clip. Drilled a hole at the back of the cowl area so the pin will go up threw it..Glued a small tab at the front of the cowl so it will go under the front top skin/under the deck. Where did you buy that cowl from/at?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a Lightning .12 cowl. Tim Leyde made it for me. It is really light weight and laid up well.

Marty

Marty check Tower sale out, you can get 30% in quarts for 7.99 not a bad price and not bad to ship cause of the quarts!!! 50% quarts are 12.99 I belive...

Marty check Tower sale out, you can get 30% in quarts for 7.99 not a bad price and not bad to ship cause of the quarts!!! 50% quarts are 12.99 I belive...
check and see if your boat club has any fuel to sell you? or other boat clubs around you.

I think I have how to attach the cowl all figured out. There won't be any fancy clips or magnets. It just snaps into place and is held on by its own reflex. I had to do a lot of trimming and shaving to get it to work right. Probably lost a half an ounce. After I get all the linkage for the rudder and carb hooked up and working right, I will be able to take it all apart and paint the tub. I have sort of an idea on mounting the pipe, but I'm open for suggestions.

Marty

DSC00133.JPG

They are 7-1/2 inches long from tip to heal.

Marty
Marty,Joe just got back from the toleto show today. Stoped by Zippkit. They loved my rigger and joe got a bunch of complimants on my rigger sine he was carring it around all day there... He'd also picked some 12x48 ply to build three to 4 light weight riggers out of it. Oh also there running hollow 1/4 carbon fiber boom tubes. They ran out. So joe stoped by a booth that sell carbon fiber rods. Bought 2 32"x1/4 hollow carbon fiber rods for 10.00! :D enought to do two riggers. There also have there small electric rigger and comming out with a 12" version. :eek: proubley run a 07 in one! :D

I made an .07 rigger a long time ago. I used a Thunder Tiger engine. Never could get the bugger to run right. I ended up giving it to someone. Tap Plastics has a great selection of graphite rods both hollow and solid. They are cheap, too. I bought 1 for outers and 1 for booms. I think there is enough outer pipe to do 10 boats and enough boom to do 1. for about 7 bucks.

Marty

I've never tried water cooling one of these little buggers, but I can sense some issues with them getting too cool using water. Thanks for the input Tim.

Here are some pictures of how it looks with the sponsons on it.
water cooled 12 motors wont run they are way to cold they need cool with fuel method tried it on a 12 nova and no go way to cold like 150 on the button

I've never tried water cooling one of these little buggers, but I can sense some issues with them getting too cool using water. Thanks for the input Tim.

water cooled 12 motors wont run they are way to cold they need cool with fuel method tried it on a 12 nova and no go way to cold like 150 on the button
glen told joe not to use the water cool line until summer. then you have to restricked the water cool line to these engines. they love to runalittle on the hot side,. proubley 200 degrees.

I talked to Joe ysterday at the Toledo show and he had the 18" version there and the 12 incher is in the works. We both knew that somebody or a lot of sombodies are going to want to drop nitro burners in them.

100_0144.jpg

I don't plan on using the water cooling unless it is extremely hot out. Here in Washington, that is a rare occasion. There is a air cooled top for this baby. If I find that running it the way it is with out cooling, I will probably spend a few extra bucks and go with that head. I guess that means I will have to buy a new lightning cowl, because the way I chewed away at the one I have, it is limited in its uses.

Ron! You got to go to Toledo. You lucky dog. I bet that was fun.

Marty

Yeah, we probably spent as much time on the road as we did at the show. It wasn't all that hot this year as only Zippkits was the only boat dealer there that I visited. The swap shop area was about dead. I did finally get to meet Russ Williamson and a lot of the regulars at the show, some of whom is about the only time that I see them anymore.

I don't plan on using the water cooling unless it is extremely hot out. Here in Washington, that is a rare occasion. There is a air cooled top for this baby. If I find that running it the way it is with out cooling, I will probably spend a few extra bucks and go with that head. I guess that means I will have to buy a new lightning cowl, because the way I chewed away at the one I have, it is limited in its uses.

Ron! You got to go to Toledo. You lucky dog. I bet that was fun.

Marty
I couldnt go do to I had to work! :( My Joe went! He's building another .12 wright now with the plywood he bought from the show. He s thinks he got enought to do a twin.12 jae! :D Ron I'd heard you got there late!!LOL about 11:30? Joe and Dan Kramer was there at 8:30.

Don't forget that I worked until 11 Friday night, got to sleep maybe around 1:30 and was back up at 6:00 AM and left for the show at 8:00 AM. It's a good 135 mile trip for me so we got there around 10:45. I tried calling Joe as we were rolling into Toledo but got his voice mail.

The back end of my SUV was packed as my buddy bought a big 30cc plane plus what the kids and I got there. Most of my stuff besides the 'rigger fit in a small plastic bag.

Back