My new .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Marty, it was nice meeting you today, your boat looks awesome, get it goin soon and come race, ya got two weeks until the best race of the year in duval, Matt !!!!

Nice meeting you too, Matt. It was nasty, wet and cold weather, but reguardless, I had a great time. I met a lot of cool people for the first time, and I learned all sorts stuff. I will start breaking this rigger in this week. Hopefully I can follow that up with a few hours of practice to brush away the spider webs. Ready or not, I will definately be in Duvall.

Marty

Today was one of the best days in the NW that we have had in months. I'm entering my first NAMBA race next weekend, so I figured I had better take advantage of the weather while it was nice. I pretty much broke the motor in on the bench. With the OS Max needle that Glenn recommended that I install
rolleyes.gif
, It was a piece of cake getting it dialed in. I had one of those "it's been awhile" moments, but Glenn got me back on track. Thanks Glenn
biggrin.gif
. I had no problem with the Y536 that Mark created for me. It had no bad habits at all. Later on during the week before Duvall, I will give the 1440 a go. I was very happy with the speed. I think it will be competitive, and I'm extremely happy with the way it handles. I'm thinking in the future, I may want to go a little bit deeper with the turn fin, but for now, I will leave it alone.

I know this picture isn't as exciting as the vids of Mr. Porter's .12
cool.gif
, but here you go.

Marty

Edit!! Photo moved to page 12

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was one of the best days in the NW that we have had in months. I'm entering my first NAMBA race next weekend, so I figured I had better take advantage of the weather while it was nice. I pretty much broke the motor in on the bench. With the OS Max needle that Glenn recommended that I install
rolleyes.gif
, It was a piece of cake getting it dialed in. I had one of those "it's been awhile" moments, but Glenn got me back on track. Thanks Glenn
biggrin.gif
. I had no problem with the Y536 that Mark created for me. It had no bad habits at all. Later on during the week before Duvall, I will give the 1440 a go. I was very happy with the speed. I think it will be competitive, and I'm extremely happy with the way it handles. I'm thinking in the future, I may want to go a little bit deeper with the turn fin, but for now, I will leave it alone.

I know this picture isn't as exciting as the vids of Mr. Porter's .12
cool.gif
, but here you go.

Marty
Marty a bonus about the still picture is you can say its faster then Mr. Porter's and nobody will know!!!!

Kevin,

Mr. Porter is definately in a different league.

What I'm curious about is the Y536. I am having extremely good vibes about it. If you look at the parameters that Mark Sholund put on it, using his pitch calculator it has better results that the 1440. Everyone says, that the 1440 is the prop for me, though. I tend to set my riggers up with the CG a little further back from your typical set up. I guess it is just a building habit I picked up from racing and building riggers in Japan. I have use 1400 series props before, but I always had problems with blow out. If you refer to the questions that Chris Wood asks in Japanese Hydros, when he is talking about CG and why the Japanese use X props. (in actuality, I can assure you that the Prather props are more popular) I don't know why they call the prop I'm using a Y, but as far as looks, it looks a lot like a prather prop. I always used S215 props on my .12 riggers in the past. I of course, modified them beyond recognition, but they seemed to work the best. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of performance I can get out of the 1440 with the way I'm set up.

I hear ya on Mr. Porter he is fast B) Like I said in the other post, I would love to be a fly on the wall when some of them fellas are thinking out loud!!!!!

I have been told to start with a 215 and go to a y537 or a 1440 if I can turn it... I don't know enough about props yet to tell ya anything good but that is what I have been told by a few....

I hear ya on Mr. Porter he is fast B) Like I said in the other post, I would love to be a fly on the wall when some of them fellas are thinking out loud!!!!!

I have been told to start with a 215 and go to a y537 or a 1440 if I can turn it... I don't know enough about props yet to tell ya anything good but that is what I have been told by a few....
not a stock 1440 mark mods the 1440 to work. 215? think thats much. I've know some guys are using 937/3 and 437/3 and 438..

Really, the Prather 215 will surprise you. I ran that prop on my Hammerhead .12 with a tired Trinity/Picco/Nova Rossi .12 and the boat ran well with it and made it very driveable. It wasn't a speed demon as the V-937/3 was faster but it took a while to get that prop up to speed. The boats are long-gone but still have the motor.

Mark reduces the diameter of the prop, how much I don't know. The Y-536 does sound interesting but doesn't that have a 1/8" bore? I can't remember but I may have one of those still on a .12 mono. Maybe I's better go look.

If you look at the prop chart on props4U http://www.props4u.com/prop_chart.htm and enter the Y536 pitch 2.25, gear ratio 1 15% slip at a practical rpm of 36000 and you get 65.2 mph. Now take the 2.14 pitch of the 1440 and do the same and you get 62 mph. The only thing that won't fit in the formula is the cupping. On the Y536 there is a 3.21" (T.E.)Cup w/ a 36.02mm Dai. On the 1440 there is a 3.10 (T.E.) cup w/ a 37.27mm Dai. The 2 cards are the actual cards supplied by Mark with the props that I ordered.

In the running picture, if you look at how the transom is held solid coming out of the turns with the Y536. This is the type of heat handling I prefer. I have in the past have had opposite effects with different sizes of 1400 series props, and even worse with 900 series props. I have had bad cavitation problems with 900 series props on single skid riggers that I have built in the past. I guess to each his/her own. I paid a lot of money to have a 1440 made, so I will give it a whirl with an open mind.

Marty

DSC00157.JPG

first run.JPG

I used to run only .12 riggers. The 1440 bc reduced to about 38mm, with a little added cup is almost ALWAYS the best on a .12 rigger.. given the usual setup that is,.. .12 with the sleeve raised 0.030. a little bigger carb and about 50-60% fuel... a macs 10-15 pipe or a Texan.12 pipe...

That setup WILL rock!

Marty,

If you don't like the 1440 B/C send it back to me.

They work very well on most, but not all set ups.

Try it first and let me know if you are going to

send it back please. I have 384 propellers in stock

now, so I am sure we can find one for you. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Marty,

If you don't like the 1440 B/C send it back to me.

They work very well on most, but not all set ups.

Try it first and let me know if you are going to

send it back please. I have 384 propellers in stock

now, so I am sure we can find one for you. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Save Mark the shipping and send it to me!!! I will be looking for one soon!!!!

Geeez, you guys, I haven't even tried it. Even if it doesn't work well with this one, it will certainly work well with some other rigger I will build :D

I just got back from testing. You are all right. All questions about props set aside, the 1440 B/C is the prop. I have that prop coupled up with 66% and an M59. When I get on the pipe it is a freakin' rocket. Thanks for all your help guys
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I just got back from testing. You are all right. All questions about props set aside, the 1440 B/C is the prop. I have that prop coupled up with 66% and an M59. When I get on the pipe it is freakin' rocket. Thanks for all your help guys
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
So that means I can have it :lol:

FANTASTIC! We tested a bunch of .12 rigger props a few years ago... that as best for me. The v937 is stupid fast,.. but not as good for racing, at least in my boats.

I just got back from testing. You are all right. All questions about props set aside, the 1440 B/C is the prop. I have that prop coupled up with 66% and an M59. When I get on the pipe it is freakin' rocket. Thanks for all your help guys
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Marty,

Does it take very long to get on the pipe?

There may be a better solution? :D

Is $40.00 a lot of money for that performance Marty?

Curious,

Mark Sholund

Mark,

From the launch, it cavitates just a bit then jumps up on plane. I usually don't try to open it up until I get on the back stretch. But, when I do, then it seems like there is just a momentary bog and then it explodes with speed. Right at first, I stayed on it for a few laps. Then after that I started letting of the throttle and then opening it up repeatedly. It had the same momentary bogging every time. I think that is normal. It sounds like it's torquing. I'm sorry, I can't really explain it well. More than that, I was concerned before with the way it would effect the handling, especially coming out of and going into the turns. I was very comfortable with the way it performed. I think if it were any faster though, it would be difficult to run it in traffic with it pegged the whole time. I will definitely have to play the accelerator. I have no issues with your prices I think they are reasonable considering the quality and craftsmanship. I will definitely use your services again in the future. By the way, what would you consider a long time to get on the pipe?

Thanks, Marty

Latest posts

Back