My new .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget that I worked until 11 Friday night, got to sleep maybe around 1:30 and was back up at 6:00 AM and left for the show at 8:00 AM. It's a good 135 mile trip for me so we got there around 10:45. I tried calling Joe as we were rolling into Toledo but got his voice mail.

The back end of my SUV was packed as my buddy bought a big 30cc plane plus what the kids and I got there. Most of my stuff besides the 'rigger fit in a small plastic bag.
well joe didnt get to bed until 2:00am sat working on your jae and got up at 5:00 am to go back working on your jae rubbing it out before his dad came at 6:00 am take him to Dans place .Dan and joe left at 7:15 am and got there by 8:30am. Joe got over 3/4 of the light weight .12 cut out.! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I came up with for mounting the pipe. The boat is already pushing 2 pounds 2 ounces, and I haven't even painted the tub. I used some really light stuff to make this. I was originally hoping for 2 even, but that's obviously not going to happen :rolleyes: , so hopefully when it's all done, I will still be under 2 pounds 4 ounces.

Marty

DSC00136.JPG

DSC00137.JPG

DSC00138.JPG

This is what I came up with for mounting the pipe. The boat is already pushing 2 pounds 2 ounces, and I haven't even painted the tub. I used some really light stuff to make this. I was originally hoping for 2 even, but that's obviously not going to happen :rolleyes: , so hopefully when it's all done, I will still be under 2 pounds 4 ounces.

Marty
To let you in on alittle secret. Zip has been selling hollow 1/4 carbon fiber boom tubes. Joe went to the hardwear to weigh some carbon boom tubes.hers some interesting results. soild 1/4 boom tubes are .05 .. hollow 1/4 ones are .03 and soild 3/16 carbon fiber are .02.. I'd ask Rod Geraghty if Joe can run 3/16. Well Rod said he's using 3/16 carbon fiber in his .12 riggers. Plus Joe using alum inserts in his rigger for the boom tubes.

Are the rods you're using, carbon graphite or carbon fiber? I've been using carbon graphite for years with great results. They are cheaper and they snap clean if you hit something hard. This in many cases prevents damage to the hull. Carbon Fiber tends do hang on and bird cage when it breaks. On my new rigger, I'm using 5/16" inners and 7/16" outers. Both are carbon graphite. If the outers ever break, I guess I will have to build another boat. I have had extremely bad luck with thin booms; whether hollow or solid. When you get on the pipe and are going 55+ your sponsons will start tap dancin'. I think booms are the wrong place to look when trying to loose weight. My 2 cents.

Marty

Are the rods you're using, carbon graphite or carbon fiber? I've been using carbon graphite for years with great results. They are cheaper and they snap clean if you hit something hard. This in many cases prevents damage to the hull. Carbon Fiber tends do hang on and bird cage when it breaks. On my new rigger, I'm using 5/16" inners and 7/16" outers. Both are carbon graphite. If the outers ever break, I guess I will have to build another boat. I have had extremely bad luck with thin booms; whether hollow or solid. When you get on the pipe and are going 55+ your sponsons will start tap dancin'. I think booms are the wrong place to look when trying to loose weight. My 2 cents.

Marty
Not really. Why do you think people got away from using wood or brass and alum tubes.? With more hightec lighter and stronger stuff comming out ,you can use for boom tubes. If Rod Geraghty is using 3/16 carbon fiber soild rods and works well for him,that great and money in the bank. Remember there using 3/16 on the smaller FE JAE and those are fast in the water,plus they do all types of testings trying different things to see whats work and what dont work.That Texas pipe you got from Glen,Rod told Joe thats the best pipe he ever tested.=really works the best!Thats the next thing we want to get on our .12 JAE's

It's really getting close. I had the whole thing together, and all the linkage moving right. I primed it with red oxide primer a few days ago. I can't see any blemishes in the finish, so a quik wipe down with gray scotch bright and some some surface prep, and it will get a bath in yellow paint.

I also got the last thing I need to make it go. Props from Mark Sholund. This is the first time that I have had props made for me. I had always done it in the past. I must say, I was quite impressed with Marks work. They were very beautifully done. Pictured is the 1440, I also had him make a 536 under the recommendation of Glenn Quarles.

Marty

If it works for you, that is all that matters. I cut about a quarter of mine away for my personal .12 outriggers.

Mark

If it works for you, that is all that matters. I cut about a quarter of mine away for my personal .12 outriggers.

Mark
Whats this personal outrigger"S" about??? How many more boats you got hidding in that room of fun???? Get off the forum and back to work!!!!! JK

I've been trying to upload more pictures of my progress, but haven't been able to. It says for attachments that I have used 4.87 MB of 4.88 global upload quota. Wonder what that means. Is there another way to attach photos.

Marty

I've been trying to upload more pictures of my progress, but haven't been able to. It says for attachments that I have used 4.87 MB of 4.88 global upload quota. Wonder what that means. Is there another way to attach photos.

Marty
You need to go to your setting. clic to manage attachment. You'll see like a fuel gage across in red bar. Means your full. You need to delete old or any pics your not using anymore. Then you can post new pics.

Marty
You need to go to your setting. clic to manage attachment. You'll see like a fuel gage across in red bar. Means your full. You need to delete old or any pics your not using anymore. Then you can post new pics.
I'll try it. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Dang! I had about 200 photo in there. All the way back from 2002. I thought those were long gone
huh.gif

I finally got the tub painted. I will shoot it all with a light coat of clear, and call it done! I know I said it was going to get a bath in yellow, but I changed my mind
blink.gif
. The cowl has some pin holes that need to be worked out. Maybe I'll paint that yellow.

Going to go to Twin Lakes this weekend to watch the races.

DSC00151.JPG

I finally got the tub painted. I will shoot it all with a light coat of clear, and call it done! I know I said it was going to get a bath in yellow, but I changed my mind
blink.gif
. The cowl has some pin holes that need to be worked out. Maybe I'll paint that yellow.

Going to go to Twin Lakes this weekend to watch the races.
Na paint it to match the tub. looks good so far..Joe got his all built. He s got a realy cool paint scheam he s going to do on it. Mine is ready to run.

You're right! I'm going to stick with the red all the way through. I should get it clear coated tomorrow.

The clear coat went on with out a hitch. Nice and shiny like glass. I put it on very light, so I'm hoping the overall weight will still be under 36 ounces.

Now all I have to do is put it all back together again and break in the engine.

Marty

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

Back