My first outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I collect the larger stuff now...I had arranged to get these two about a year ago and just recently had them delivered to a friends house in Georgia. I'll go pick them up in a couple of weeks. They will clean up and make some fine additions to my collection. Can anyone tell what they are? The water intake holes gives the single cylinder away. -571458464976983317.jpg

Close but no cookie, the last year for the Thor outboards was December of 1939. The top engine is a 1940 Mercury so you were close. It's a rare one because it is Carl's K5. Carl Kiekhaefer (founder of Mercury outboards) put five of his new engines on display that year and was the beginning of Mercury Outboards made by the Kiekhaefer Corp. That is one of the five. The tanks have been taken off of both engines for safe keeping. I have the K1, K2 and K5 and I am still looking for the K3 and K4.

Wow, some very nice outboards, and cool history on the Carl ones! I bought a 1957 Allan K B single cyl from the original owner in the box, think it was run but not used $10.95 price tag on the box :)

Setting the amount of turn.jpg
  1. Era 1950 - early .049 mounted on “top kicker” (same era Air Trails Magazine)View attachment 276799

That's cool! The size of that boat is a good scale for the engine. The version I had came with a little notched plate that meshed with a small disc. You could set the amount of turn you wanted and it would hold it in that position.

Last edited:
My first one was a Atwood with a three point hydro. It ran surprisingly good. I also collect full size antique outboards. at last count I have 300, and 17 boats. I specialize in Mercury's including race motors. one of my favorites is a mod KG7H on a 9 ft 50 era hydro that does 54 mph

I electrified mine. Made it able to actually use more often, especially in indoor pools. Don't worry the conversion is strictly bolt on. The original can be bolted back on. The skeg was broke back in the 70's so I made this slide on (out of K&S brass) that works quite well. Also the original propeller is so small it's very inefficient. So I also made a screw on adapter that made the prop shaft bigger to hold 1/8" props. That is a cut down octura something. The plastic KG7 cowling is available at classichydros.com. I added the pipe because........well just because. The hull is a poorly made scale of the full size boat I own. It's basically a Switzer Craft. Funny it handles exactly like the real one.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
Really nice job on that boat/motor Mike, enjoyed the classic hydros link as well, thank you

My first one was a Atwood with a three point hydro. It ran surprisingly good. I also collect full size antique outboards. at last count I have 300, and 17 boats. I specialize in Mercury's including race motors. one of my favorites is a mod KG7H on a 9 ft 50 era hydro that does 54 mph

Gary, it seems like I may have talked to you on AOMCI once ? Anyway if not, do you have any of the original 1940 Mercury K engines or do you know anybody who may have one? I am looking for a Kiekhaefer 1940 K3 right now.

I gave a good friend both of my Mark 20 H engines and a few years later he passed. He was an engine tech trained by the Kiekhaefer Corporation back in the day and once he was gone someone came in and bought them all from one of the family members before we even knew they were for sale. I wish I had kept at least one of them now.

Mike Yount- Nice job on the KB engine.

Back