Motivation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

Seems like I have a lack of it lately. Motivation. Perhaps I'm getting old or lazy. Just wanted to know what drives the rest of you. And how to keep the fire lit for the nitro boats.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks, Glenn

i have been gone for about 3yrs. i went to a few races. last yr i decided it is time to GET AFTER it again. i will be racing in full force next yr.

I got so burned out from building and selling boats and the pressure to WIN EVERY RACE i had to walk away.. i miss the people and the racing.. that did if for me.

lane 1/2 here i come.

chris

Chris

I have had to step out of racing 2 times , just because of work or change of interest .

And my 3 boys lost interest. . except 1 of my sons.that races now.

You sure build 1 of if not the best 20 boats.

You will be back better than ever.

I think the question you should be asking is "WHY AREN'T YOU MOTIVATED?" Is it one of the following:

1) Financial issues

2) Political issues or trying to avoid them

3) Time

4) Energy isn't there

5) Interest/desire to get the boats done just isn't there

The way I see it, if you need to find something to motivate you to work on the boat, you need to set it aside and walk away. In my case, while I want all my boats on the water, between work and other commitments, the time is the main culprit. Obviously, there are other less important reasons, some stemming from right here in the forums but, still, without the time to work on the boats, they just don't get done

My wife, Anja, and I raced together for a number of years in UNW and I'd have to say the main motivation was simply our own enjoyment. We enjoyed the social aspects of attending and presenting races, we enjoyed serving on the board, we enjoyed organizing banquets - in short, we just enjoyed being involved. Part of it was the spirited competition although winning every heat was never a consideration - just couldn't see getting run over for a $10 trophy. My greatest satisfaction (and motivation) was to hand her the radio for a boat that was fast, well-mannered and reliable. Win, lose or draw - we enjoyed it!

So, I guess if I have an answer for you,Glenn, it would be to focus on what you enjoy - the motivation will take care of itself. And hey - is there a cooler sight than a field of scale beauties coming down for the start?

Larry K

Make sure you treat it as a hobby and not a job. Take some time away from building and relax. I prefer to build and could care less about running boats. I've done both over the years I've been involved since the late 70's, Took a few yrs away when I didn't have anyplace to work.

Glenn, to me all of the replies so far are great ways to stay involved (motivated) .For Kim and I, we started with tunnels in 1981, we now have a set of boats for almost all classes in nitro! she would rather we did not, that's another story LOL. It seemed that we worked too hard to bring as many boats to the races as we could, no time to visit or enjoy as the hobby really is enjoyable. We wanted to find the fun again, so my thoughts were back to what got us here. I dusted off some early eighties tunnels, Hot Shot 4 and a Killer with k&b 3.5s, we burnt a half gal of fuel, the boats ran so close bumping down the straights... too cool , we laughed and talked all evening about our runs together. To us, that's what was missing, THE FUN!!! Glenn whatever makes it fun for you! happy boating, Kim and Rick Lindow

Last edited by a moderator:
All good replies, Thanks everyone. I'm starting to think it's more of a energy issue. It's been a heck of a year, Very busy with family issues. Just might be a bit run down.

Larry, You are SO right about the scales coming down for the start.

Thank you for breaking it down HJ, Made it easier to see the time and energy were the issues.

Glenn,

I thought you retired recently?

How can it be time?

Energy I understand totally.

We are not getting any younger.

Enjoy Retirement Glenn,

Mark Sholund

Mark, I retired at the end of 2010. Long story but Mother got ill and passed away on July 25th.2014. Spent as much time with her as I could. Then dealing with the Estate and cleaning out the house (getting ready to sell) pretty much knocked the wind out of my sails and consumed large amounts of time and energy. Mom and Dad were packrats( both went thru the depression).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like the drain was more emotional than physical. The bad part is an emotional drain is harder hitting and longer lasting than a physical one

I had the similar thing as Glenn my wife always raced with me when she passed i had a hard time getting back into it, still not completely there

My good friend, all you had to do was ask, heck I can either motivate you or get ya p/o'd real easy like according to most
default_tongue.png

Its been a tough year on you buddy, and the lack of motivation is understandable. You have the number if you need to talk, vent , dump - whatever it is. I have had the same feeling most of this year, and in my case its been due to funds or the lack of- this place - the knee and the other reasons we have discussed that dont need aired in public. I have the desire again, just not the funds to fix the boat I desire to drive the most - the Scale. It will come back to ya, the best way I have found , go to the lake WITHOUT a boat and watch, makes me realize why I do it every time. Watching the people I know and friends have a good time doing what I know I enjoy without being able to do it , gets me going- if that makes sense.

Andy and Georganna ....

You are probably right Mr. Lee and Mr. Pickard. I think I see light at the end of the tunnel. Parents house is clean as a pin and went on the market this morning. Just kind of toasted right now. It hit pretty hard but I'll get back up.

Latest posts

Back