Model Boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is all about perspective and what you want out of this Hobby/Sport, for you can be a weekend pleasure boater that likes to tinker all the way up to a US1 / World Record Holder that belongs to the pipe and prop of the month club. There is much room in between, and I would like to share my history and a few view points.

Dad dragged me to the "Just Add Water" pond at 10, started dirving in club races with many current HOF members (i'm sure more to come Stu) later that fall. Entered the very first Indy Unlimited at 11. Shook like a leaf before during and after my first heat (where John Bridge won) finishing second after batteling a Mischnick side by side for 4+ laps. I was intorduced to adrealine, and cried tears of i don't know what or for why.

Been club members in Indy,Chicago, Memphis, Indy again (club pres), and Florida. Raced mostly in IMPBA, over a dozen some Nats, too many to count timed awards handfull of US1's and a Pres Cup...(EOP for 12 hours...Stan IV won).

I've had three layoffs related to....oat sewing, early baby raising(funny how those go together), and Dad's death.

There are way to many fellow boat modelists & racers across the land I hold in the highest regard to start listing would not be fair. However, several are not just freinds, but FAMILY! Fred McBroom was a grandfather, Marty is my dad's brother my beloved uncle, Ralph is my brother. Many additional old time boaters from Indy races and surrounding D4 & D14 to current Florida racers and Internats from all over are outstanding friends. We pick up right where we left off every time we see eachother.

Yes, there are some people that just plain bug the hell out of me, and likely i do the same to them or others I don't even know i do; however, I would not allow somebody to run me away from something I love doing this much with my son, extended family and best of friends. I need a tissue and not sure why...I love this Sport!!!

MG

It is all about perspective and what you want out of this Hobby/Sport, for you can be a weekend pleasure boater that likes to tinker all the way up to a US1 / World Record Holder that belongs to the pipe and prop of the month club. There is much room in between, and I would like to share my history and a few view points.

Dad dragged me to the "Just Add Water" pond at 10, started dirving in club races with many current HOF members (i'm sure more to come Stu) later that fall. Entered the very first Indy Unlimited at 11. Shook like a leaf before during and after my first heat (where John Bridge won) finishing second after batteling a Mischnick side by side for 4+ laps. I was intorduced to adrealine, and cried tears of i don't know what or for why.

Been club members in Indy,Chicago, Memphis, Indy again (club pres), and Florida. Raced mostly in IMPBA, over a dozen some Nats, too many to count timed awards handfull of US1's and a Pres Cup...(EOP for 12 hours...Stan IV won).

I've had three layoffs related to....oat sewing, early baby raising(funny how those go together), and Dad's death.

There are way to many fellow boat modelists & racers across the land I hold in the highest regard to start listing would not be fair. However, several are not just freinds, but FAMILY! Fred McBroom was a grandfather, Marty is my dad's brother my beloved uncle, Ralph is my brother. Many additional old time boaters from Indy races and surrounding D4 & D14 to current Florida racers and Internats from all over are outstanding friends. We pick up right where we left off every time we see eachother.

Yes, there are some people that just plain bug the hell out of me, and likely i do the same to them or others I don't even know i do; however, I would not allow somebody to run me away from something I love doing this much with my son, extended family and best of friends. I need a tissue and not sure why...I love this Sport!!!

MG
Well said...

Chris,

Please stick around we all would miss you greatly! I have though of taking a break as well but have not came up with any other ideas on how to spend my free time. The thing that I have enjoyed the most in the last 2 to 3 years is going from just nitro to gas boats as well learning how to do home mods on gas motors with some success in performance.

Brad

What keeps you in model boating ? I am asking because I would like to see how others look at model boating. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way
the level of technology involved in model engine and boat/hull design, the speed, etc.,..I love building. There's nothing like being out on a lake operating radio control models.........

Started with the first wiff of nitro playing with 1/2A control line planes at 10 years of age..BUILDING them, flying, then FIXING them! I went crazy about model boats after the first time i watched some guys running a tunnel and some riggers...i couldnt believe how fast the riggers were....they ran stacks, and were LOUD! This was 35 years ago! I cant begin to explain how much pure enjoyment ive gotten from building, running, and racing model boats..especially WOOD boats! Ive never been a "big dog" in the hobby....as a matter of fact, if it wasnt for a few of those "Dogs" being so WILLING to help me out the last several years, i probably wouldnt be 1 mph faster than i was 20 years ago! That might might be the best part....the people ive had the pleasure to meet and share my hobby with.... i say Hobby, because thats still my perspective on this activity, not saying that im not competitive to a point, but winning has never been nor will ever be EVERYTHING in my life with this kind of stuff....just kinda siily to get that carried away to me....it also makes it all the more fun when the good finish does actually happen every now and then! ;) :) I still want to be involved in it when i can because its a GREAT hobby with WONDERFUL people! Just wish it didnt cost so darn much, but it is what it is!

You will never find a better group of friends..no FAMILY...in R/C Model Boat Racing! For what ever reason they are there for you , no questions asked. I look forward to going to the ponds to see my extended family and maybe do a little boat racing! jj

Chris i have considered many times in calling it quits and i know the feeling trust me..I'm very happy and thankful the minute i met james beasley, and Buddy lowe in Chesapeake VA. kinda funny James Beasley's 1st words to me when i walked up with a Popeye's cat with a ops 80 was not hi how are you but " We are Professionals here " my reaction in my mind was ok old man i just want to run a boat ;-) and then came all the great members of the old dominion club specially John Bonano (RIP) we were veterans from two different type of wars we shared good conversations of what we experienced. Then came Don Ferrette WOW i did not like him at all came off too strong lol but we became great friends. Then came foley,premo,drake,Ralph,Joe,chuck and the list keeps growing.We all became good friends and i consider them all my family we argue and might have a difference of opinion but at the end of the day we have each others backs and we are family.

Theres always certain situations that come up and make you want to walk away. I myself know theres people in the hobby i wont get along or that i know they dont like me or people that wish i have a bad day of racing ect ect.

This is just me i go out to get back together with my friends and family and have a great time and race hard. after racing get some beer and good food and do it all over again.

to me its about my friends and family a get together and the racing is a added bonus.. Dont let anyone ruin the fun you have while you are with your friends and racing boats..

The friends keep you going to the races as it's more like a family reunion but playing with boats instead of tossing a ball around. The boaters are a different crowd than the RC car or plane people, more laid back and willing to help you out even if it means you'd whip your butt on the water.

I do love building the boat too as it's my time in the shop away from everything, the best therapy we could ever have.

As far as competition goes, winning to me will happen but I'm happy just to drive mine back to shore after 6 laps.

There will always be some bad apples in whatever you get into, ignore those people and don't let them try to ruin what you enjoy doing.

Just came from my hobby shop they will be closing in Aug, due to people just using internet and not backing the hobby stores pretty soon we will not have any around you can run to last minute support these guys they support us Robert

I have love boats since I was a kid ,I got in to rc boats about five years a go after seeing some run.Have met some great people and like to build them .

Back