Model Boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1088

What keeps you in model boating ? What drove you into the hobby of model boating? Is it the people , the love of the boats, the need to be first or to be that guy that has it all , the top dog ? I ask because......I'm at a point with the hobby that I'm thinking I mite walk away from it . I can think of an easy 50 reasons why I should stay and only a handful why I should walk away ( but they are some varry good reasons for walking away )

I am asking because I would like to see how others look at model boating. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

For me, seeing several scale boats on the water running at full song with the roostertails flying is part of the reason, I love the boats. The other part is I love the challenge of researching a boat and then trying to build a scale that is as close to a duplicate as possible. The drawback to this is if I'm working on a boat that isn't local, such as the Madison, the researching takes that much longer. I've already run into this issue working on my 2009 Oberto. The plans I received from Roger Newton show the hull to have certain characteristics that I can't verify looking at photos. Now I have to wait until either Tri-Cities or Seattle, when the boat will be close by, to see if it's my eyes or the plans that are off :wacko:

Holidays to different lakes are my first memories of boats. We never owned one, so it was always a special treat to ride in one or ski behind one. Rc cars came along then reading mags, that's when I came across RCBM, all those holiday memories came back, cars got shelved and I found my first tunnel at about age twelve at a market. I have gone in and off rc a few times for different reasons but since joining a club a meeting other boat lovers I think I will stick with it- never sold off anything just put it in the shed for later. I think the main thing for me is simply just boats and water and now the huge bonus of great people with a common interest- cant top some of the people in this hobby :)

I my self do it for the personal challenge.

I do it to occupy my time and mind and see what I can do.

There are many things in life you can do.

It all depends on where you are in your life and what your priorities are.

I have said I am done wasting my time and money with theses toy boats many times.

But thy seam to pull me back in for a reason I can not under stand.

I go to a race ,spend a day at the pond with the guys or spend hours on the phone talking boats and then I remember why I do it.

Nitro is addicting that smell and the sound just turn me on!

Chris,

It is all about the great people that you meet in model boating.

The knowledge that you share and the great friendships are "The Best".

It is a challenge to master some of these little boats at the speeds we run at.

It is just fun to meet new people and race each other and learn from one another.

26 years of fun for me so far, and I have met the best people ever in this hobby.

Just think how great this message board is, and the time that we put into our hobby

trying to learn more about what we are really doing on the water and on the bench.

Enjoy The People And The Testing,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about your people, I am at the same frustration point that you are for the same reasons but I refuse to let one bad apple take my D20 friends and my love of the hobby away. Besides you have to help me with this GAS tunnel.

D

David is right dont let a few spoil it for you go do your thing have fun and enjoy where ever you go there is a few bad apples you have to over look and remember you love this sport Robert

Chris,

For me its the friends first.. then the game. I dont put too much on myself to win. I WILL NOT RACE FOR MONEY, and prizes I like to sell and donate the money to my charity.

I look at this hobby as more of a tuners game and then you get to match your skills against your friends. Friends is the key word..

I enjoy a ribbon as much as a trophy. I do however hold my championships close as well as my US-1.. It cost me quite a bit of money to win those! lol

Just know that if you need a break that’s OK. We have all had our days. Proof of that is the first sentence in this post.. Years ago I did not feel that way!

Everything you will or would ever need to get back into this hobby will still be here when and if you decide you would like to come back and PLAY BOATS!

Grimracer

Jedi hand wave….. The relief your looking for will not come to you with a lack of RC boating. Your happy place is when your racing RC boats………………..

yep, it's about the people and the help you get, also it's about the smell of nitro in the morning!!!!!!!

Never let someone take your joy! Chris it's all about the people and escape of the daily grind. It's people like you that inspire new clubs and growth of our district. I am in this hobby because of the friendships forged when I lived in Colorado which you are a big part of.

I was personally at my breaking point last year in my own club and almost walked away but I refuse to let the actions of one or two destroy my passion for this hobby.

I stick with those that I care about and get along with and that keeps it fun.

I aquired an htb 360 with a 7.5 on it about 4 or 5 months ago and was just browsing the net for tuning tips and found this site by accident. I asked a couple questions and got some good reponses and thats when I realized that the guys on here will help you in any way. Now 4 tunnels later and alot of tips from people like Ron shaw,Grimracer,Dan Hutchinson and many more Im ready to race my first race.....soon I hope....anyway I kinda didnt read into this post before I posted and I havent even raced yet so I cant really give any advice on anybody taking a break from this hobby over frustrations or what ever the reason. But if you really like this hobby dont just walk away cause then those who inspired you to walk away will win. Never give up!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all .

Here is how I look at model boating ...I love to play with my toy boats and want everyone to play toy boats with me . I enjoy going to the pond and hanging out (playing toy boats) with the people / families that share the same love for boating as I do . I have met some great people and families over the years and I have made some great friendship not only with the boaters but with there families also. This is what model boating is to me building new friendships.

I would like to thank all the people and friends that make model boating what it is for me .

ThankYou!!

Chris Bopp

Maybe take a break for awhile. Sometimes hobbies turn into jobs, then the fun goes out the window.

My deal is this . Totally immerse myself in preparation for a race , 7 classes , full metal jacket etc . Then after the big race take a break for a while as I have many other hobbies , full size boats , salt and fresh that suck up all money and time . This site and RC Racing Events keep me lit otherwise the candle would fizzle out !! Take a break , climb a mountain , then come back !

a58eh5.jpg

Chris , I guess what got me intrested was my father taking me to a Unlimited Hydro race in 1963 or 1964 at Lake Tahoe CA- and my intrest in mechanical devices that hauled azz. What got me out of it for about 15 years was a rather costly divorce. After moving to Utah in 1999 the long winters provided lots of building time. So I started building again. Enjoyed running boats @ Decker Lake and really appreciated the support the Colorado crowd brought at the combined races. After retiring and moving to CA. I just about went broke(again) :) and that's caused me to cut back again. I sold a few boats and a lot of spare parts. If there is anything I can do to help you get to the Nats in Ut. Send a P.M. It's never been about winning for me.

Glenn Gates

I started racing full size tunnels in 1970. My first boat was a Glastron Carlson tunnel with an 85 HP Mercury. I raced every tunnel class from Sport C up to Mod U. I got to race against or with all the great drivers, Seebolds, Fountains, Rinkers, Simburgers, and many more. I even beat the factory teams at one of the few factory showdowns. In the late 1970s, I was at a race in Kankakee Illinois. During the driver's meeting, we heard this high pitched buzzing noise coming from an adjoining pond. After the driver's meeting was over, we all walked over to see what was going on. There was a teenage boy running an outboard powered radio controlled tunnel. I went to my hometown hobby shop the next day and bought a K&B .21 outboard, a Futaba radio and a Dumas Hotshot kit. I was hooked. I raced in my first IMPBA event in 1983, and finished third. I was running my stock K&B .21 outboard powered, scratch built tunnel, against piped .21 outriggers. There no outboard classes yet. In 1987, I took the Outboard Director position in IMPBA. At that time, there were only six outboard classes, three tunnel and three hydro. My first national championship was in B mod tunnel in 1990. I have won nineteen national championships, two US1, excellence of performance and set nine IMPBA speed records. I have raced with all the greatest model boat racers, past and present. I have made too many friends to count. I have retired from racing, but will continue to help the hobby grow, and keep thinking outside the box. Anyone that knows me knows that my racing motto is "Second Place is the First Loser". Model boating is my life , and I will continue to attend races as long as I can. I love the comrodorie as much as the competition.

Back