Mod VP Rules and Setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonShaw

Vendor
Hey Guys,

This is a totally new class for me and many others. Can someone please post the current rules for this class and help with setup and details on what works and what doesn't? I would appreciate clarification on the hull details and the engine rules, so I can look-over everything and know what can and can not be done to these hulls/engines. Links to the rules would help as well. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and pics of Mod VP boats

Thanks!

-Kent
Here is Marks design- the OMC

The second pic is the Vision Craft version.

Mic H and Andy Mason also have their own designs but I dont have any pics of those.

(found a pic of Mason's LongBoard design) 3rd pic.

2edyxax.jpg

2u4ke2h.jpg

Andy

lonboard.jpg

Well if I can figure out how to post a pic on here from my camera I will post some. There is a good explaination of the rules on page 4 of the WTC thread. If you need anything clarified just ask. Sport B engine rules apply. (Internal mods allowed. No tuned pipes or mixing of manufacturer powerheads and lowers.)

If you guys want to see a cemented set of rules for this class then tell us you would support a rules proposal. I don't see any proplem with making the rules official. It would be up to districts and clubs to allow the class if there is enough participation. The class has always filled in the Storm series and the WTC. It is looking like there will be mulitiple heats again this year.

Will do here in a few minutes Mark- I went ahead and copied the stuff from the WTC thread to keep everything here. Hope you dont mind.

Marks quote from the WTC thread-

What you can expect is a lot of fun. It is a drivers class!

The rules that went out several years ago are rather technical, Here is a simplified version.....

In a nutshell a Mod-VP must be a "keel rider". The keel can be of any design, flat pad, Vee, round etc. The keel must be a minimum of 1 inch wide at the point where it crosses the depth of any other ride surfaces. It must remain that way at least 40% the length of the boat measured from the rear. This keel aka center ride surface can be notched forward up to a maximum of 1 inch ahead of the rear of the hull. No part of the hull can be outrigged. Boat must steer with engine. Wings, spoilers, fins and tabs are allowed.

In the Storm series we encouraged outboard monos but no one showed up with any. Basically the rules are the same as the lifesize class was. Vee's and Tunnel Vees were allowed. If you look at my boat it looks like a mono on top but is a tunnel V. If you look at a Vision it is a pickle fork tunnel with a center ride pad. Mic's HTV is a mono with sponsons. The only thing we really don't want to see is a 3 or 4 point hydro with a keel added because it would still suspend the tail and ride on the forward sponsons. It makes for a fun class and there are many designs that can be explored and still stay within the rules.

Between my boat, HTV, Vision and Longboard there are quite a number of them out there. Be nice if it were in the rule book so everone could be on the same page. If you think about it NAMBA has an outboard mono class where IMPBA just has inboard. Mod-VP actually makes a very competitive class.

Between you and Culhane that poor girl is tired :rolleyes: sad part is, I finally got the hop out and had it running pretty well. Its been a darn good old boat, but looking more and more like its gonna be a shelf queen for the rest of its days. One of the original 6 wasn't it ? If that boat could talk, the stories it could tell.

Andy

Thanks for posting the pics and rules Andy!

Are FE's allowed in this class...just curious..

-Kent

Hey Andy might want to take a pic form the front and rear of both boats to show the cross section.

Thanks
Mark,

This information helps a lot. I also have your information on a PM for reference. What is your lead time on delivery of an all white Mod VP and can you PM the price? I'm exploring a couple of options so I will have something for the WTC. Is there an overall hull length requirement? Also, is there a rule on how much lower (minimum) the keel must be than the outside riding surfaces and does that minimum depth also have to run the full 40% of the overall length of the hull or is the 40% measured at the intersection of the keel and the surface of the two sponsors? Thanks for your help.

Drew,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Can you post a pic down the tunnel from the nose of the Vision as well?

Stop it ..... That and a ride - a motel room- yeah, Im game if you wanna tolerate all that baggage :rolleyes:

Not thinking so, but the Fall Nats are in my sights. ;)

Andy

you have got to make it to chuckytown drew! most fun you can have with your pants on, imo :D ;) . unless jeni steals your clothes while you're in the outdoor shower :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: . right, james? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back