Mod-VP guys, you had better be working on those boats!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Van Houten

Supporting Member
Vendor
Okay Guys, we have put this off long enough. I am going to call Julie tonight and get her to go ahead and put Mikes Talley's name on that 1st place Mod VP trophy. LOLThe MOD-VP KILLER.jpg

The first day out it was not good at all but Mike did some bottom work and after today... it's like a completely different boat. The bottom is completely legal for sure. I'll let Mike make the call about showing the bottom. It's a joint project but it is actually his design and boat. It is a laser kit boat.

Last edited:
somebody put a tape on the new rocket and make sure it fits the bill - :rolleyes:
Looks good , lets see some video before we go kickin tires here ladies .............🙃

Just busting chops Carl , boat looks great , and frankly a new design to chase in ModVp would only be good for anyone that owns one !!! Keep us posted if he is willing to share - I get it if not.
Hopefully 2021 at Kems will be VERY interesting in a class that is a TON of fun to run. New designs and ideas are part of what makes it cool :cool:
It really is a one off class for guys willing to think "outside the box " ..

Sleek boat. Nice to see it is not a forker! I guess Mike got the bug when he won the original race in Walterboro. Is this the mono you were mentioning a while back or is it a tunnel bottom? Don't worry, I'll be ready with mine!

He has talked about that first race for years. A while back I printed the rules for the class and put them in a binder with clear plastic sheet protectors and took it by his house and after reading over them he decided to take a stab at it. He made a 1:1 hand sketch and I digitized it and burned the kit for him & provided him with a cowling and he did the rest. He has been trashing on it quite a bit lately. I am sure we will be back at the pond with it again before Sunday. It has been a fun project.

We plan to run it again tomorrow. I tweaked a prop for it today at my shop and Talley made one at his house too so we will see which one the boat likes the best. It has a dropped nose like the Allison that keeps it from being flighty. Notice there are no trim tabs on this boat.

We tested the Outboard Mod-VP hull again today. The wind was whipping up and after a few runs chasing the bank on the upwind side of the pond we decided that the setup was in need of a slight engine move. Mike is offsetting the engine rearward by 3/8" and we will run it again after this weather front blows through our area so that will most likely put us back at the pond sometime midweek.

Once we finish tweaking the setup, I will get out my Go-Pro and get a few passes for you to see. Building an outboard mono is quite a challenge but the boat is responding well to our changes.

Back