ML Boatworks GP-400 Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert Dygert

I had Mike at ML boatworks bulid the hull for me because of time constraits and other projects. I am just starting back into the project as my race season comes to a close this weekend. Here are some pictures. I will be running this hull before the snow flies.

Bert

DSCN0879.1.JPG

DSCN0878.1.JPG

DSCN0880.1.JPG

DSCN0881.1.JPG

very nice indeed. Through my conversations with Mike, one of the things about this boat was the CG was further back than many sp40's. I notice that your engine is all the way forward. How did you come up with that location? I was thinking of placing mine further back. The new cowls are going really make this thing look great.. I'm building this boat also, along with the .21. I had a whip21 and never set it up cause it was really difficult to rig, plus it had a twist,.. but this boat is real easy to build and rig... for sure...

I will get you guys a CoG on my gp400 asap. Its running at the 70mph mark right now in FE form around a course, so it should give you a good idea of where to start. Good thing is the hull is showing no signs of stability issues even at this speed. Oh, another thing, switch that strut from flat to round bottom. I am finding the flat makes turns choppy, round runs nice and smooth. Back end lifts right up. Dick and Ron will confirm that from last weekend! More soon!

Anthony,

I placed the motor forward to best simulate the battery pack placement in the electric version. The battery packs are the biggest weight item in an electric boat and placed the motor in about the same position as the electric version. Also if you look at the bottom of the boat the engine is slightly rearward of the sponson transoms.

Bert

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I wonder if the choppy turns with the flat bottom strut is due to lack of transom weight? What it tells me is the hull (electric version)doesn't need or what the extra lift created by the flat bottom strut. The nitro version may react different because of the extra transom weight of pipe and muffler. I have both types of struts so it will give me something to test this fall.

Bert

Robert,

I made the box to be custom fit. I started by laying clear box tape over the bottom of the boat and layed three layers of fiberglass down. Then cut and fit the sides and top. I will put the cover lip on after I get the servos all mounted.

Bert

Met up with some friends in VA today. Got John Finch to get behind the wheel so I could video this for you guys. I think this might even be the first time John has driven an FE boat! When he got done running, we discussed some things to make it even better. The first thing is getting the rudder on the right side of the transom instead of the left. He felt when the boat blew off in the video it was because he had zero rudder input at the time, where he had been giving it a touch of right rudder during the rest of the running, and the boat lifted the sponson. He felt the right side rudder mounting would help eliminate that. The 10-15mph quartering wind didn't help either! Anyways, the rudder was shortened up today and the boat picked up 5-6mph, so I was very happy about that! Maybe this will help show you what this boat is all about! Enjoy, Mike

Here are the latest pictures of my progress. It took more time to develope a cowl than I thought it would. Also I added a front lip for the cowl to tuck under. I changed the power plant to an 45 HR to debug the boat befpre putting the VAC in.

Bert

GEDC0009.jpg

GEDC0010.jpg

GEDC0011.jpg

GEDC0012.jpg

GEDC0013.jpg

VERY nice work,.. You don't like the cowl that Mike and I made? it's full length. Your cowl is awesome too though. I can't wait to get my sx400,.. I plan to follow your build closely,..

Anthony,

I basically used your design concept for the GP265 hull and added a scoop. I had started the cowl when you were first working on the 3D models. The only difference is ths one is more streamlined. I would have put a 45 Whiplash Gen 1 cowl on it if I could have found one to be more with the style of the boat era.

I thought the 5 liter type cowl came out good. Trying to get it ready to test in early November.

Skin fin, sealing, and finish the drive line are next. Painting the cowl and clear coating the hull to follow.

Bert

Here are the latest pictures of my progress. It took more time to develope a cowl than I thought it would. Also I added a front lip for the cowl to tuck under. I changed the power plant to an 45 HR to debug the boat befpre putting the VAC in.

Bert
Bert that cowl is sweet, did you make a mold for it or is it a one off? :)

Met up with some friends in VA today. Got John Finch to get behind the wheel so I could video this for you guys. I think this might even be the first time John has driven an FE boat! When he got done running, we discussed some things to make it even better. The first thing is getting the rudder on the right side of the transom instead of the left. He felt when the boat blew off in the video it was because he had zero rudder input at the time, where he had been giving it a touch of right rudder during the rest of the running, and the boat lifted the sponson. He felt the right side rudder mounting would help eliminate that. The 10-15mph quartering wind didn't help either! Anyways, the rudder was shortened up today and the boat picked up 5-6mph, so I was very happy about that! Maybe this will help show you what this boat is all about! Enjoy, Mike

http://youtu.be/x0dWnryhHJQ
Yea, the right rudder trick. We used to always keep a bit of right rudder in the roundnose boats years ago when they got loose to keep the boats on the water. The water was pretty rough and the boat was aired out so I ran a tad of right until the lap she blew off. I just let the steering wheel go neutral and you saw what happened. good thing about electric is when it landed right side up the show continued!

Don,

If there is enough postive feedback I can pull a mold off the cowl after testing in November. It is actually two pieces of some of my current cowl molds blended together.

Are you building a GP-400 hull?

Bert

Progress report,

I just cleared the bottom of the hull last night. The cowl is painted and cleared ( I kept the paint work simple to be able to pull a mold over the winter).

The plan is to run the boat this weekend. Pictures will follow shortly.

Bert

Back