Mixing boat fuel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Drake

I want to start mixing my own boat fuel up, can someone point me in the right direction. My LHS was sticking it to me with shipping prices and now they are saying that there is a case minimum (4 gallons). I don't need that much at one time. My little nova .12 doesn't suck up to much fuel...LOL. I was wanting to only mix up a few quarts at a time and. I was just looking for a little info on how to start.

Thanks tony

Tony, more then likely you will be spending just as much, if not more mixing such small amounts. Its probably cheaper to buy it by the case. Now, if you wanted to mix large amounts, you may come out ahead, but your going to have a pretty large initial investment most likely.

I don't know - it depends on your access to the ingredients. If you know anyone who runs a drag race fuel car they usually buy nitro in 55 gal drums. You could buy a few gallons from them. If you buy Nitro on line you're going to pay a lot and HazMat fees too. Methanol is only about $40 for 5 gallons and you can use Klotz or another synthetic you like. Oil is around $100/gal and you need a gallon of Castor from Sig. I mix the fuel in a 1000ml graduated cylinder and filter into my metal can that uses a Dave Brown Pour-N-Pump system. It works really good and I can mix as much or little as I need. Rodney's right, it is a big investment up front, but the ingredients last a long time and I don't have to buy more very often. Got to keep the Methanol really well sealed though.

It is cool to know exactly what you're burning in your engine. So many manufacturers hide their oil formula and percentage so it's hard to know what you're running.

Glenn

Hey guys

Thanks for all the info. I think also one of the main reasons is What glenn was saying. I would like to know exactly what I'm running in my boats and I might be able to get my nitro from a local sprint car racer here. Also with a little more info I may be able to mix fuel not only for my boat but my cars and heli's also!

Thanks again Tony

Mix 100 oz. increments at a time... easy math... 65% percent = 65 oz nitro, for 200oz batch that is 130oz etc etc... Then do your oil, Aky on top of that.

That's a lot of fuel - almost a gallon. If you want to mix around a quart you could use a 1000 ml (1 liter) graduated cylinder. Same math - start with the oil - 15% oil = 150 ml, 65% nitro = 650 ml, the rest (200 ml) is methanol - just fill it to the mark.

You can get one for less than this on ebay - I recommend glass though.

Glenn

Graduated Cylinder.jpg

That's a lot of fuel - almost a gallon. If you want to mix around a quart you could use a 1000 ml (1 liter) graduated cylinder. Same math - start with the oil - 15% oil = 150 ml, 65% nitro = 650 ml, the rest (200 ml) is methanol - just fill it to the mark.

You can get one for less than this on ebay - I recommend glass though.

Glenn
A plastic graduated cylinder works quite well, I have used one for over 6 years with absolutely no problems. A good cleanup is paramount. If you are mixing small quantities, a 500ML works fine. If you are doing larger quantities, then look for a 1000ML.

I use different cylinders based on qty. 1000ml for the nitro and smaller for the oil/alky. I use a mix of Cool Blue and LB625 for oil. 9% oil on the 65% fuel, 12% oil on the 50%. Based on the previous thread, I may add a skosh of BeNol. But I've never had any engine failures.......One thing to keep in mind is the amount of fuel volume going through the motor. Higher nitro means more fuel volume (richer needle) hence more net oil fraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I bought 5 gal from Norris many years ago. It is now unobtanium.......wonder what I'm going to do once it is gone??!!?? Perhaps MA731

Last edited by a moderator:
Back