Maus 43" Scale Hydro Who Can Remember anything About Them

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Considering using a maus 43" scale hydro that is no longer available with a full mod Zenoah 231. As I looked at it I noticed it has an off center cowl, engine compartment, and radio area. They are not centered in the middle of the hull. This is something new to me as I have never seen a hydro built that way. One person told me maus made them that way intentionally.

Does anyone have knowledge of this hull in a large nitro engine setting? Characteristics, setup, why the offset to the left and not centered, speed, handling, any and all info would be nice. I know Maus made some nice stuff in their day. This has never been drilled or setup.

Tnks Curt

I don't recall a Maus Scale hull and I've been doing Scale for a LONG while. Maybe a Sport 60/ Sport X hull. Pics would help brush away the cobwebs for those of us within that vintage. CHEERS!!! Bob

Curt,

Back in the early to mid 90's Maus Had a Circus Circus scale hull. My first Scale T-Plus had Maus lay-up wings and a cowl. I do not know what year Circus hull it was though. The boat was also shown at the Toledo Model Show in the early to mid 90's time frame.

Bert Dygert

Last edited by a moderator:
That is based on the 8700 hull, which has the cockpit and engine bay offset to the left. I'm assuming they werem trying to keep it as scale as they could.

yes i have been told that. My question is do I build the boat with the driveline offset like the boat is? what effect will that have on the steering, driveline, weight distributed, and prop all on that side of the boat vs centered??

I belive that the mold was made by Joe Barazoto back in the 90's and was sold to Sam ..He later started to sell them for Gas Boats. The strut on this Boat was place in the center of the hull..Hope this helps.

I belive that the mold was made by Joe Barazoto back in the 90's and was sold to Sam ..He later started to sell them for Gas Boats. The strut on this Boat was place in the center of the hull..Hope this helps.

Roy so are you saying run the stuffing tube and flex cable at an angle over to the center? What about the rudder leave it on the left side since the radio box will be there?? Oh and thanks

Roy so are you saying run the stuffing tube and flex cable at an angle over to the center? What about the rudder leave it on the left side since the radio box will be there?? Oh and thanks
if anybody is interested in this hull $250 shipped or trade for a nice .67 nitro motor this is my boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes run the strut in the center of hull and the rudder is OK where it at..We ran the radio in the front of this hull..This helped in the balance of the hull..

Now I know why I don't recall a Maus Scale boat. Maybe we should more properly call this hull a 43" Gas Sport Hydro hull so someone won't buy it and try to make it into a Scale. It would be an up hill journey.

Whew, Roy - - I thought I was loosin' it. The only one of the Maus Sport 40's I remember was the one Doug DeWitte had painted up as Texaco.

CRRCBOATZ, There are a lot of boats with offset cowls, tubs and drive lines out there. The MUTT II comes to mind, lots of Scale boats - some with the offset to port, some to starboard. My Oberto (built 1997) is offset 1" to port, the next Scale I built was 1/2" to port - - drive lines also. Newest are right down the hull centerline. I just had to give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. CHEERS !!! Bob

Now I know why I don't recall a Maus Scale boat. Maybe we should more properly call this hull a 43" Gas Sport Hydro hull so someone won't buy it and try to make it into a Scale. It would be an up hill journey.

Whew, Roy - - I thought I was loosin' it. The only one of the Maus Sport 40's I remember was the one Doug DeWitte had painted up as Texaco.

CRRCBOATZ, There are a lot of boats with offset cowls, tubs and drive lines out there. The MUTT II comes to mind, lots of Scale boats - some with the offset to port, some to starboard. My Oberto (built 1997) is offset 1" to port, the next Scale I built was 1/2" to port - - drive lines also. Newest are right down the hull centerline. I just had to give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. CHEERS !!! Bob
Im not sure why the guy that wanted to buy the boat thought it was a scale you can clearly see the cowl is designed for a gas application. i listed it on the dock as a gas sport hydro.

Maus was a bit ahead of his time trying to get gas going in a scale..The hull it self works grate as a scale if the right cowl is put on it..I build the 90 winston eageland a circus circus for a friend..Both ran just fine..But a Gas scale back then never caught on.He use to have an add in the RCM mag back then too. Most remember his Tunnel boats or Sports. He used Mike Dehouge boat for his sport. The scorpian..Yeah there been alot of hull come and go over the years,but there always something new comming up..

Latest posts

Back