MAS epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larcor69

Supporting Member
I ordered my second Blazer sport 40 kit from Brian along with his MAS epoxy med. cure for the build, I was wanting to know, just how this stuff work's, I never have use any type of epoxy other than the cheap stuff, like, you find at the local hobby store, 15min/30min...ect, any pointer's Thanks

I ordered my second Blazer sport 40 kit from Brian along with his MAS epoxy med. cure for the build, I was wanting to know, just how this stuff work's, I never have use any type of epoxy other than the cheap stuff, like, you find at the local hobby store, 15min/30min...ect, any pointer's Thanks

I use MAS epoxy on my full size boats and my R/C boats. I like it better tham West system or any of the rest of them. It is clearer and does not blush. Meaning it does not have a waxy film on the surface after it is cured.

Mark

I like it a lot as it soaks into the wood very well. You shouldn't have a problem. The handy kits are very convienent to have laying around in the shop.

West System is better for fiberglass layup because it is thicker and holds its strength better.

West System has a longer shelf life

I like MAS for gluing and sealing wood...wets out better.

Your kit and epoxy will ship early next week (waiting on the MAS shipment)

Thanks, Brian

Like Brian says, don't use MAS for fibreglass layup. I had to cut up a complete boat after it came out of the mold. It was way too flexible. I have almost a gallon of MAS epoxy with 1 quart of medium hardener and 1 quart of fast hardener. You have to make sure that you're dead nuts with your 2:1 mixture or it takes ages to cure. I don't like it so you can buy it cheap if you like. I'll stick with West Systems. You can be off on the mixture (5:1) and it still hardens like a rock.

Like Brian says, don't use MAS for fibreglass layup. I had to cut up a complete boat after it came out of the mold. It was way too flexible. I have almost a gallon of MAS epoxy with 1 quart of medium hardener and 1 quart of fast hardener. You have to make sure that you're dead nuts with your 2:1 mixture or it takes ages to cure. I don't like it so you can buy it cheap if you like. I'll stick with West Systems. You can be off on the mixture (5:1) and it still hardens like a rock.
Did you use the metering pumps. If not I would suggest it This stuff is good epoxy. Also the reg resin is there thinist and not recomended for FG layup. MAS has other resins for FG layup.

Mark

Aint never used it yet, Mark, was just asking for pointer's as to how it's work's and people's opinion's, Thank's

So as to what everyone has stated, sound's great for a wood kit, build, measure it carefully and enjoy!!!

Back