Lythiam Ion Barrary Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Knesek

I appologize in advance for asking such a basic question bet I figured this forum would be the best one to get the answer.

I'm building a Nitro boat that has very little room for radio equipment and would like to use as small of a buttery as possible but I need 1000 MAH. Has anyone been using Lithium Ion batteries for the receiver and if so can you direct me to a good source? What do I need to know about them compared to Ni-MH cells?

Thanks in advance.

I appologize in advance for asking such a basic question bet I figured this forum would be the best one to get the answer.

I'm building a Nitro boat that has very little room for radio equipment and would like to use as small of a buttery as possible but I need 1000 MAH. Has anyone been using Lithium Ion batteries for the receiver and if so can you direct me to a good source? What do I need to know about them compared to Ni-MH cells?

Thanks in advance.
The airplane guys have been doing it for a while but I don't know what they use for voltage regulators. Check rcgroups or one of the other aircraft forums.

Joe you know with lithium you need a lithiunm specific charger

Ther eis one very small nickel metal hydride cell the ib1400 which issmall and a very good as a radio pack

It will deliver good voltage and very high amps (25A) to cope with any digital servo loads. it is a power cell for small model so the voltage stays very consistent and its a real 1400 not like say 1100's which are 950mah

Are the lipos robust and reliable enough for this application?

Thought I had heard of them failing open, one cell dies and thats it for the boat. Not too bad on an electic boat that will stop but nitro?

The nimh sound like the way to go to me.

Brian

Joe you know with lithium you need a lithiunm specific charger
Ther eis one very small nickel metal hydride cell the ib1400 which issmall and a very good as a radio pack

It will deliver good voltage and very high amps (25A) to cope with any digital servo loads. it is a power cell for small model so the voltage stays very consistent and its a real 1400 not like say 1100's which are 950mah

I tried the 1100 mah Lithium Ion. I didn't have a regulator in the boat. I had two servos fail, and some glitch problems. I assume that was due to the over voltage. I'm going to try the regulator. Also had one battery swell up and I'm told they will burn??????????

.....I had two servos fail, and some glitch problems. I assume that was due to the over voltage.....
How many Li-ion cells did you have? At 3.6 volts each you should only need two. OTOH I'm running the 5-cell 1400 NiHM packs that Andrew mentioned and they work great in big FE boats.

.....I had two servos fail, and some glitch problems. I assume that was due to the over voltage.....
How many Li-ion cells did you have? At 3.6 volts each you should only need two. OTOH I'm running the 5-cell 1400 NiHM packs that Andrew mentioned and they work great in big FE boats.
They are 7.4volt, 1100mah, Falcon Lithium Ion batteries

Bob, you need to run a regulator with those batteries. If you have one that swells, you could have a serious problem on your hands. BE VERY CAREFUL with Lipos, do a couple searches on the web and you will hear about many horror stories, You must charge them properly.

Yesterday, I crashed a lipo/brushless electric plane due to reciever failure in a dry wheat field near the flying club field, the battery got damaged in the crash and burst into flames.... almost burnt the whole **** field down before I could get to it. Needless to say, the plane is "Toast", Balsa burns EXTREMELY well....

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, you need to run a regulator with those batteries. If you have one that swells, you could have a serious problem on your hands. BE VERY CAREFUL with Lipos, do a couple searches on the web and you will hear about many horror stories, You must charge them properly.

Yesterday, I crashed a lipo/brushless electric plane due to reciever failure in a dry wheat field near the flying club field, the battery got damaged in the crash and burst into flames.... almost burnt the whole **** field down before I could get to it. Needless to say, the plane is "Toast", Balsa burns EXTREMELY well....

~James
After this past weekend of racing, NiMh are going back in all my boats. I bought the special charger, and still had one swell up. Also, if you accidentally leave the switch on, the battery is toast. God knows what happens if water gets in it. Not worth all of that mess. Plus, then you got to have a regulator, or it trashes servos and makes the receivers glitch and twitch. Bummer in a boat!

I have a Bantam EStation 301 which is made for Li_Poly cells but after hearing all of the issues, I'll keep my NiMh cells.

Back