Loosen glow plug to start???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rich

Hi,

I have an OPS 90 in a deep V that seems unusually hard to turn over with an electric starter. I have several other boats and planes but they are all .40 or smaller and run great :) Is the OPS 90 really that hard to turn over? I need to loosen the glow plug to get the engine to turn over and start. I then tighten the plug back down when its running. Is this ok? I'm not sure how old the engine is but it does have the silver head. What should the needle valve be set to because it seems to flood at anything more than half a turn out. Is this normal for this engine because it seems rediculous to me. Could it be that the gas tanks are to high or maybe the needlvalve is broken. The needle did look normal when i removed it. The engine will stop once past about a quarter throttle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Rich

I don't remember the exact number but I think mine flow at 7.5 to 8.0 on Tidewater flow meter.I would guess that is somewhere around 21/4 to 21/2 turns out on the needle. Sounds as though your tanks are to high The tank outlet should be lower than the carb inlet. They are some real fuel hogs when you get them set up right. they will usally run on the rich side pretty well once the heat builds up in the engine.I use 24volts to start mine may , may be esaier to start if you get the flooding stoped.

Randy

Rich,

loosening the glow plug is a quite standard procedure for starting large (.90 ci) engines. At least, it works perfectly with my CMB 80 hydro.

i have to loosen the plug to start my cmb .67 hydro. but after a run its allright. im using a 12 volt starter

davo

Loosening the plug is very common on big motors.

Saves the starter even if you got a big 24 volt starter.

I have to do it with my .80 is cold.

watch so you dont loosen it to much and it blows the plug out, threads and all. I just "heard" about that ;D

Back