Looking for pics U-65 Squire Shops

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the one your talking about? It's on the trailer without the motor.

Attachments

• lw_%20072.jpg
    lw_%20072.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1
  • hk1977_0214.jpg
    hk1977_0214.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, it's the U-64, former Vernors. Is this the boat he is thinking of? Does he want the MHR 7455, which was the U-65?
The title of the thread is pics of U65, so yes..... The boat in question is one that Mikey has bought from Allan Yuen. Allan ran it here in district 16. It is a nice boat and myself, I'm not sure if the real boat ran with a full cowl at any time. If Joe says no, then that is most likely the case as he would know more about this than most. I would think that someone would have to provide a picture of the U65 running with a full cowl in order for the model to run with a full cowl. This situation has occured with other boats in the past but some people still choose to run as they want to and not as the real boat ran.

Case in point is the Captran Resorts..... Roger Newton tried to get the guys with the full size to run the cowl, even in qualifying. Didn't happen. So the Captran has to be run with a dummy engine showing and no cowl in place. Just some small details that should be adhered to when building and running a scale. Do it right, or find documentation to prove your case.....

I agree, you need to do your research. A similar case is the 73 Pak. There are pictures of it with the cowl on, but it never ran that way.
Yes Tom they would not run it because of the weight. That thing was made of aluminum and weighed a TON. The rear wings would throw your back out getting them on. We would use the crane to put on the horizontal wing. See ya in Hobart

Obviously, it's the U-64, former Vernors. Is this the boat he is thinking of? Does he want the MHR 7455, which was the U-65?
The title of the thread is pics of U65, so yes..... The boat in question is one that Mikey has bought from Allan Yuen. Allan ran it here in district 16. It is a nice boat and myself, I'm not sure if the real boat ran with a full cowl at any time. If Joe says no, then that is most likely the case as he would know more about this than most. I would think that someone would have to provide a picture of the U65 running with a full cowl in order for the model to run with a full cowl. This situation has occured with other boats in the past but some people still choose to run as they want to and not as the real boat ran.

Case in point is the Captran Resorts..... Roger Newton tried to get the guys with the full size to run the cowl, even in qualifying. Didn't happen. So the Captran has to be run with a dummy engine showing and no cowl in place. Just some small details that should be adhered to when building and running a scale. Do it right, or find documentation to prove your case.....
You got it Rob, the U-65 was a tempotary hull, no rear wings, and I never saw a pic with the small cowl (tail) piece either.

Bill Brandt in RCU ran the hull,but never could get a pic from him. Roger tried like hell years ago to find one but couldnt.

Ive see old video, and it didnt have the cowl, wings or tail.

I agree, you need to do your research. A similar case is the 73 Pak. There are pictures of it with the cowl on, but it never ran that way.
Yes Tom they would not run it because of the weight. That thing was made of aluminum and weighed a TON. The rear wings would throw your back out getting them on. We would use the crane to put on the horizontal wing. See ya in Hobart
Are you guys sure about that? I've seen four pictures of the Pak on the water at four race sites WITH THE COWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the pictures was taken with the boat half sunk so that the wing, the top panel of the back of the cockpit, dashboard and top of the cowl were the only parts of the boat visible aft of the sponsons.

I got into an arguement with Don Mock and Roger over that very issue when Roger was trying to start his gas 1/6 scale class. I told them I was doing the Pak WITH A COWL and they said no for the very reason you said, it was never on the water with the cowl. When I was able to find pictures to the contrary at the HARM, the rules were changed to make my build "illegal" by changing the wording from "photographic evidence of the configuration represented is required" to "must represent the boat in it's most common form". Since the class never took off,it's a moot point now, just thought I'd let you know of my experience over the Pak's cowl

Mikey,

That is the boat I was originally going to do but I couldn't find a picture either. I did talk with Bill from RCU and he couldn't find the picture. I was reluctant to do the build without the proof. That's how I ended up building the Sunny Jim.

Dave

Mikey,

That is the boat I was originally going to do but I couldn't find a picture either. I did talk with Bill from RCU and he couldn't find the picture. I was reluctant to do the build without the proof. That's how I ended up building the Sunny Jim.

Dave
Smart move Dave, your Sunny Jim Jam is awsome.............

Are you guys sure about that? I've seen four pictures of the Pak on the water at four race sites WITH THE COWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the pictures was taken with the boat half sunk so that the wing, the top panel of the back of the cockpit, dashboard and top of the cowl were the only parts of the boat visible aft of the sponsons.

I got into an arguement with Don Mock and Roger over that very issue when Roger was trying to start his gas 1/6 scale class. I told them I was doing the Pak WITH A COWL and they said no for the very reason you said, it was never on the water with the cowl. When I was able to find pictures to the contrary at the HARM, the rules were changed to make my build "illegal" by changing the wording from "photographic evidence of the configuration represented is required" to "must represent the boat in it's most common form". Since the class never took off,it's a moot point now, just thought I'd let you know of my experience over the Pak's cowl

So it goes like this, I also never saw ir RUN with the cowl, seen it on the trailer with it on, so thats my 2 cents, but now if you have a picture, that can end allot of these debates. As long as you dont have a picture of the "BOAT" with no wings I would call it documented.

I remember hearing a story that the driver didn't want the cowl on because he thought that it would come off while running and take his head off. This is all word of mouth and please don't take it as fact.

What I've heard from a couple of sources is that the boat was found to be "too flighty" with the cowl during testing. The cowl was only tried a couple of times in actual race conditions after that from what I understand. After the nose cowl was lost during a heat in the western swing of the 1981 season, the engine cover was left out west and "lost'. That resulted in the installation of a nose cowl similar to the one used on the 7025 after it's reconfiguration prior to the 1971 season.

As for having pictures of the boat with a cowl, I misplaced my copies years ago. I'm sure I could get another set from the HARM if needed

So it goes like this, I also never saw ir RUN with the cowl, seen it on the trailer with it on, so thats my 2 cents, but now if you have a picture, that can end allot of these debates. As long as you dont have a picture of the "BOAT" with no wings I would call it documented.
Well im going to run it the rest of the year and then see what it will take to make the boat right. Id hate to have to repaint it over a issue like that or ruin a good cowl. Time constraints keep me from doing anything else

Hey Mike,

I thought I would post here what I sent you the other night in case someone happened to be at the two races the U-65 raced and took a pic with an old Brownie camera, or had a program or something. Hey, stranger thing have happened but I think we all know what one of your Winter projects is going to be.

I pulled out my Hydro's Who's Who and it shows two Squire boats ran in 1978:

1. MHR 7455 U-65 The Squire Shop II raced: JUL 30 Columbia Cup, Tri Cities Did Not Finish. and a second time Aug 6 Squire Seafair Trophy finished 6th.

2. The 7664 U-64 The Squire Shop raced all 7 races that year except JUN 4 Spark Plug Regatta, Miami ending up 3rd for the year in National High Point Standings behind U-00 Atlas and U-1 Bud.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Back