Looking for advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spraguepsycho1

I'm building a Sk-Daddle Too that I started when I was a kid (25 or so years ago). I was thinking about using surface drive to get max speed out of it, the nearest organized races are well over 150 miles from where I live, so I don't mind slowing way down to turn around, just looking for straightline dragboat type performance. The engine i have to put in it for now is only a OS CV.12 out of my RC10GT, but I also have a CVR.15 I may add later until I can afford a good running water cooled .21. Any suggestions as to how to make this thing work would be greatly appreciated, such as what outdrive to buy, prop's rudder etc, and should I line the rudder up behind the prop, or does it really matter if it's to the side? here's what I have finished so far, thanks

John

View attachment 983

Looks nice! I'm building the larger version right now. It takes a .40 to .60 sized engine.

I plan to use an adjustable strut placed at the back of the boat, and the rudder will probably be behind the prop. I'm not sure if the surface drive will work, but I hear people using that method on crackerboxes and they have the same type of hull. I'm glad to hear that your not using the Dumas hardware. I have it and it looks like crap. Not to mention that the drive angle isn't adjustable.

Sorry I couldn't be more help! Dale P.

yeah, if I can get this small version dialled in and running the way I want, I'm seriously thinking about scaling it up for a gas engine. I have a 22ccKawasaki weedeater engine, or a 38cc McCulloch chainsaw engine I could use for a larger version. I like the way the hull seems more streamline compaired to most of the other crackerbox hulls I've seen online. Son wants the SK-Daddle JR so we can use his spare electrics from his rc truck. Another idea I have for a larger boat is to scale down my 19'Witchcraft jet boat for the gas engines, and add a Graupner jet drive. I think it would be cool to have an rc that looks identical to the fullsize out on the lake.

I read on here (somewhere) that the older hulls like yours run better with the sub-surface drive they were designed for. Can't find it now...anyone?

Nice colors!

from what I've read on a few boards, they handle better on the ovals with the submerged drive, but like I said before, I'm just looking for max speed in the straights, I think surface might work better in the straights, but I could be wrong. the river I'll be running on is only about 40' wide (narrower in some spots) so I will most likely be slowing down to almost an idle to make most of my turns.

Look at what the crackerbox guys are using right now. A smaller version,such as the Octura aluminum strudder,should do the trick and not "break the bank".

Bob

I just talked the wife about letting me order the Octura strudder, looking at the complete aluminum running hardware kit with the .187 shaft (I don't want to have to replace the shaft when I move up to the .21), so looks like it's going to be my Xmas present. I made a turn fin today and got it in the hull, along with a pair of trim tabs. Any suggestions on what prop I should be looking at for a starting point?

Last edited by a moderator:
am also building a flatbottom dradboat(dumas sk-daddle)with an O.S. Max 81and am planning to set it up "semi-subsurface",the prop 3/4 submerged,as i cannot decide between surface and subsurface .http://www.area51rcboats.com/steve1.html pics posted at this link with more to follow as soon as my registration cleares at this forum.

got my homemade hardware assembled, not going to spend any more time trying to make it look pretty until I get it on the water and see how/IF it works. Still waiting for prop suggestions from you experienced people. :)

hardware2.jpg

Latest posts

Back