look for pics of the 1994 bud twin wing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooks93

if anyone has some good pictures of the 1994 bud twin wing can you email them to me.

[email protected]

mainly looking for some good detailed shots of the tail feathers and cockpit

thanks

It did race once without the wing. Only because they broke the two they had and they didn't have another wing. It was 1995 at Evansville with Mark Evans driving and I believe the was the only time the boat ran in competition. It also had a solid canard wing instead of the smaller individual wings that appear in the pics on David's website.

It did race once without the wing. Only because they broke the two they had and they didn't have another wing. It was 1995 at Evansville with Mark Evans driving and I believe the was the only time the boat ran in competition. It also had a solid canard wing instead of the smaller individual wings that appear in the pics on David's website.
The T-4 also qualified & raced once with the rear horizontal in place & no front solid canard wing or small mini wings. Chip Hanauer drove it but absolutely hated the boat to the point he told Bernie he wouldn't drive it anymore as the boat gave no feel for what actually was going on. Hanauer called it a deathtrap. :ph34r:

The T-4 also qualified & raced once with the rear horizontal in place & no front solid canard wing or small mini wings. Chip Hanauer drove it but absolutely hated the boat to the point he told Bernie he wouldn't drive it anymore as the boat gave no feel for what actually was going on. Hanauer called it a deathtrap. :ph34r:
DON ARE YOU SAYING THAT IT DID RUN WITH THE FULL LENGTH FRONT CANARD? I THOUGHT IT WAS PUT ON TO LOOK LIKE THE T-5 WHEN ON DISPLAY

DON ARE YOU SAYING THAT IT DID RUN WITH THE FULL LENGTH FRONT CANARD? I THOUGHT IT WAS PUT ON TO LOOK LIKE THE T-5 WHEN ON DISPLAY
Read it again "no front solid canard wing or small mini wings". The T-4 as far as I know never ran with a solid canard wing & only tested with the mini wings. There is a shot in circulation of the T-4 from overhead @ E-Ville with no horizontal rear because they broke it as mentioned but there was no front canards of any type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here's the actual deal. I pulled up my race footage from '94 & '95. It didn't race in '94 as I already knew. It may have tested but it never qualified or raced. Chip broke the primary boat at KC which was the first race of '95. Chip qualified the T4 at just over 160mph at Madison. Can't tell if it was with the wing or not. It had it on the trailer. Chip and Bernie had this big public excuse that Chip was having back problems and was uncomfortable driving and couldn't handle the bouncing. Mark Evans then drove in the race at Madison. He broke the horizontal in heat 1B and again heat 2B and there were no canard wings at all. In heat 3B he ran with no canard and no horizontal. He got DSQ'd in the final when he died and then got it going again and went into the Jasper's lane and Mike Hanson tapped him and spun out avoiding Evans. The boat never ran again after that until it became the current Llumar. Chip was back in the seat of the primary at the next race which was Evansville.

so would it be a legal 1/8th scale then without the front canard and rear horz wing?

and does anyone have a pic I can use for concourse and proof that it raced

so would it be a legal 1/8th scale then without the front canard and rear horz wing?

and does anyone have a pic I can use for concourse and proof that it raced
Depends, another point of arguements. The front canard wing is definitely not legal as the boat never raced that way. As for the rear horizontal ...... well ...... that depends on how correct you want to be. If you were in my district & starting to build one I'd tell you to put the horizontal on it. Personally I feel the horizontal should be there as the boat qualified & began racing with it in place, it was broken during the event. This is currently a grey area (to some people) but fortunately there is a proposal co-authored by myself & Brian Schymik which should be out for IMPBA member vote in the fall and this is just one area that gets addressed in the proposed rules updates. B)

I've got a real nice shot of the boat running @ Madison with the rear horizontal in place, send me a p/m. :)

Don kind of stole my thunder there but he is right. It depends on where you were racing and who your Scale Chairman is. Since it began racing with the wing and broke while racing some would consider running without it illegal as it would be a "damaged boat" at that point. If it were me I would say the boat needs to have it. I dealt with this issue while I was a the Scale Chairman in my district. If you could prove the boat ran without the wing intentionally you could run it that way. Some boats did like the Circus, Tide, Joe's and a few others. But you would only be allowed to do it twice since with race footage I have the best that I can tell no boat ever did it more than twice in a season. Personally, even though my Exide ran without it once I wouldn't do it because my boat doesn't run as well without it and I have the conventional Exide and the 2-wing.

thanks for the information guys..

no canard with complete rear tail feathers it is

I have the t-4 with the little canard wings and the rear horizontial and expect to be running it next season after I install 3 gyros in her to control the canards. I had it in the Toledo RC sShow this year on a custom built trailer. I hope that you would attempt building yours with the little canards.

I have the t-4 with the little canard wings and the rear horizontial and expect to be running it next season after I install 3 gyros in her to control the canards. I had it in the Toledo RC sShow this year on a custom built trailer. I hope that you would attempt building yours with the little canards.
Mark, the T-4 is not legal with the little canards. It did not qualify or race in that configuration, that was a last ditch attempt to make it drive right in testing.

Is it or isn't it, seems to always be the question. I rememberwhen I had just finished the construction of my Elam only to be told it wasn't to scale. I was sent pictures showing the rear end of the boat a swooped extension on the one side and cut up ends on the back of the sponsons. So, I cut off the back of the boat and made it to scale. Then here come some guys ( I won't mention any names) who have built the same Elam and don't do any work to the rear of the boat yet they say they have a scale model of it, enter it in contests and are allowed to win.

So here I start working on the T-4 only to be told that the little canards never ran in a race and if I leave them on the boat won't be considered a scale. Hogwash, the Bud team built them for a reason and I'l bet they were tested on the water that way so in my book a boat with the little wings on them is a scale.

My ten cents.

Is it or isn't it, seems to always be the question. I rememberwhen I had just finished the construction of my Elam only to be told it wasn't to scale. I was sent pictures showing the rear end of the boat a swooped extension on the one side and cut up ends on the back of the sponsons. So, I cut off the back of the boat and made it to scale. Then here come some guys ( I won't mention any names) who have built the same Elam and don't do any work to the rear of the boat yet they say they have a scale model of it, enter it in contests and are allowed to win.

So here I start working on the T-4 only to be told that the little canards never ran in a race and if I leave them on the boat won't be considered a scale. Hogwash, the Bud team built them for a reason and I'l bet they were tested on the water that way so in my book a boat with the little wings on them is a scale.

My ten cents.
Mark,

save your money,

Scale boats are to resemble a REAL Unlimited Hydro that raced, and the objective is to build them as they were built, NOT the way you want to build them.

As for your E-LAM, if you build the 2000 or ealier design, the standard cut out at the transom, like in PT hull is fine, but you cant keep the cockpit spar in front, that is from the newer 2001-06 hull, but the rear area IS different, so you need to make the changes, and you did a great job doing it, be happy you spent the time to make the boat the way it really is.

As for the 2 wing bud, it DIDNT race with the 2 stub wings in front, it had the full wing in front, and it raced with the horizontal wing in Madison (the only place it raced) and did break off in heat 2, finished without the wing in the 3rd heat, why build a broken boat ?

We have discussed this many times in the past, what the IMPBA needs is a group of (3 maybe) knowledgable

people to make decissions on what is legal or real or what needs to be corrected. We have fumbled around with this for years without any changes, someone step up and take the ball and go.

Back