Lightning 12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn McClintic

I finally finished one of Mark Leyde's Lightning 12's. My first rigger build. It went together really well - lots of fun.

I just need to finish my prop and build a stand for it. Hope I can give the JAE's a run for their money.

Glenn

DSCN9317.JPG

DSCN9314.JPG

DSCN9315.JPG

DSCN9316.JPG

i just got one of marks old boats put together (the blue and orange one on the instructions). it is sweet, i have a jae 12 and and hoping i get this one to run with all the other ones at my pond. i was the first to build a jae 12 and everyone followed suite after seeing it so i got this one to be different. i put a novarossi in it, ran it 3 tanks a few days ago and couldnt get it broken in. i think i had too much prop so i will have to work on that. i was using the 1440 off my jae and it would only stay on pipe about 20 yards then die.

what prop are you starting with? mark recomended a 215 bar cut but i think that would be more than my mod 1440. i think i need to start small like a 537 or cut up 438 and get it going then prop up..

Nice boat and good luck agaInst those pesky JAE's!

A Prather 215 isn't a bad prop to try. I ran a stock one on my old .12 'rigger with an average engine so a NR should spin it with no trouble.

Thanks

I'm going to try a Prather 215 first. I have one of Mark's 1440's on order, and I thought I'd try a Grim 40 X 53 which looks a lot like an ABC prop. I don't know if the 12 will pull it - should be interesting. I'll let you know what works best for me.

Glenn

Glenn,

I am working on a propeller for you now.

The 40 x 53 has a lot of cup in the Trailing Edge about 3.91"

it needs to be reduced.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

nice boat where you buy the kit from ?

That be me! :D I usually sell them as a 90% built hull.

As for props, a standard P215 with a bar cut is my go to prop to start setting up a .12 outrigger. My best prop for these hulls is a Sholund 1440.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice build for sure

I'm curious what it weighs complete no fuel... and when you swap out to that needle does it eliminate the spray bar altogether?

I finally finished one of Mark Leyde's Lightning 12's. My first rigger build. It went together really well - lots of fun.

I just need to finish my prop and build a stand for it. Hope I can give the JAE's a run for their money.

Glenn
Hello Glenn,congratulations for this very beautiful rigger, i like very much, very great work. Please, let me know that type and brand of 'holder' ( black rubber ) you use in the end of the pipe.

Thanks and Regards

Giuseppe - Italy

Tony

The boat weighs 43 oz complete no fuel = 2 lbs 11 oz. The needle valve assembly threads right in where the fuel nipple is on the stock carb. You unscrew the fuel nipple and thread in the needle valve. The spray bar is unchanged. About the spray bar though; Glenn Quarles does a carb mod where he removes 1/2 of the spray bar and the low speed needle. It opens it up a bit.

Giuseppe

The pipe mount was ordered from Speedmaster when Bill McGraw ran it. I think the products are still available from Harry or Ross in Florida (407) 889-2283.

http://www.rossisales.com/otherprodnew.html

I'm not sure of the part number but it looks like this. If I remember right it was called mini pipe mount. Mine had shorter legs when I got it, but I cut off one leg and filed it smooth. Then bolted to my plywood mount plate.

Glenn

Pipe Mount.jpg

DSCN9246.JPG

Latest posts

Back