Lets Talk Riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paul

Hello Guys,

How about tossing your thoughts around on beam across sponsons as opposed to tub length. And while we're on the subject what are your thoughts on sponson offset?

Paul.

I do not run a formula for length X width in rigger design as it depends on the conditions you are running in.

Smooth water is generally a long skinny design, while rough stuff requires a wider footprint.

Our Blizzard rigger kit is about 12" wide and 20" long. It is designed for all purpose running.

The Matrix rigger kit is 14" wide and 24" long. Again set up for general oval racing.

the FX1 SAW kit is 15" wide and 28" long.

The FX1 Oval version is 16.5" wide and 28.5" long

Our new gas rigger "The CYCLONE" will be a huge 26" wide and 46" long.

I would say that tub length to sponson placement and angle would be a better place to go for set formulas.

Everyone has a different idea when it comes to design.

As far as offsets go, only on Oval set ups, and only a small offset. (Others may disagree)

We are experimenting with asymmetrical designs right now where one sponson is a different shape and size that the other, and also not set in the same place on the tub.

Peter

www.climatemodels.com

"The" source for FE and nitro rigger kits.

I'm still trying to figure out the same thing Paul. I keep going wider thinking If I go too far I can just shorten the booms. I haven't got too wide yet! Maybe my new 6/8 rigger is over the top, but I haven't run it yet.

I've offset the sponsons too, but didn't really notice much difference. I went back to symetrical for this boat.

How's that for a wishy washy answer! I'm still trying to master the keep it simple stupid approach!

Good luck!

Dick

I personally think people put them further out than necessary. What do you gain by outting them out real far? I've tried real close and far out and the difference was bearly noticeable. my saw 12 rigger is 9.5" wide. my 12 oval boat is 15" any wider would just be drag and extra weight.... and more flex.

I agree Tom, for SAW a wider boat punches a bigger hole through the air. For Oval boats wider may be better. My opinion of course. I feel like I can push it harder in crappy water and still don't seem to sacrifice any speed in good water.

The wider boat is the current 6 cell oval record holder and the first 6 cell to break the 1 minute barrier for 5 laps.

Then again, wider may be subjective. My record boat is 10.5 inches measured from the inside of the sponsons. My new boat is 11 inches. Maybe this is narrow to sombody else.

Good luck,

Dick

Hello Guys,

Funny thing Dick, I found pretty much the same thing about width not much (or any) difference really. I've been running around 12.5" outside to outside with about 3/4" offset to the left and the boats work.

I thought this to be an interesting subject but seems like there's no right or wrong to it.

Thanks guys, Paul.

One note about wider that I have found is that Turn Fin angel, placement, edge and toe become more critical the further out you set the right sponson.

What I like to do is set up the width such that the TF becomes nonexistent in a straight line so to speak. All other bets are off.

Did I just make a lick of since? I freek me out from time to time.

Grim

Hey Grimm,

You freaking me out too, and no, I have no clue where your heading with your comments, LMAO!

TTYL, Paul.

John Finch that a formula in one of his books, I think that he used the witdh was half the length. Now some people are changing that. Hammerhead feels that a wider stance helps on rougher water so that the boat doesn't rock too much.

One more thing i thought of is weight. I have had to add weight to the left sponson to get the boat to run straight in the past. Having the left sponson outbound further then the right alows for less weight to be needed.

grim

Ron

Should a rigger have a nutural ballance side to side. I have alittle more weight in the right then the left typicaly.

Whats your thoughts.

Grim

The japanese guys run a slightly wider sponson on 1 side to get them to run straight More drag and more weight, but the strut and sponsons are dead straight with the tub. I think they go for 30% wider.

They also run a very wide stance and run a rearward CG - very strange looking riggers.

OK

Now im freeken out :eek: .. I run narrower on the left sponson somtimes. This is so that the sponson runs deeper. This is like adding weight.. Also having this narrow sponson out board further makes more drag.

This is cool.

Grim

I'm freakin' out too man!

Narrower sponson running deeper? How narrow was it compared to "normal" I would think that if the boat was on plane that wouldn't apply.

I used to have a 67 rigger (R.I.Pieces) that had fixed booms with adjusable sponson plates to tune the sponsons. we set it up to run straight with no rudder at all by fine tuning the sponson depth and angle then put the rudder back on. The thing used to run SG type sponsons with back cut CF ride pads on the bottom. It used to run very clean on the water - shame I had a battery fail and it hit a sandstone wall at full tilt. Complete write off!

ok how about this....

if you have toe-in on your turn fin side should you shim the turn fin so it is straight?

i did it on my hawk, never tried without to see the effect.

Interesting idea. I haven't seen it done that way, but I have seen setups where people have the sponson parallel but shim the front of the fin.

Personally I have both parallel, but sharpen the outside of the fin with a pronounced bevel.

Ian.

Latest posts

Back