Left Turns !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

Hey guys - I've been observing an electric class of boats that run counterclockwise on the course. They run contrary props and the flexshaft is reverse spun also. I know you could run the usual suspects. But is there a benefit for running the counter rotating stuff when you run the opposite way on the course?

The nitro boats turned right and the full-sized boats turn left to take advantage of the "prop walk" or paddle wheel effect from the prop rotation. Since only the bottom of the prop is in the water when running at speed, the prop is constantly trying to push the rear of the boat to the left (right on the full-sized boats) so it just made sense to take advantage of that to help the boats turn tighter rather than try to fight it with a left turn

Normal full size RH prop rotation on a runabout (V-botom or mono) creates torque roll to the left side of the boat, This is why boats have the driver and steering on the right side of the boat. Models have adapted with left hand drives due to the use of aircraft motors common rotation coupled to marine drives.
The electric 1/10th scale boats have run left turns to be true to full size boat racing. Drawback is limited prop selection.
Mic

Hey guys - I've been observing an electric class of boats that run counterclockwise on the course. They run contrary props and the flexshaft is reverse spun also. I know you could run the usual suspects. But is there a benefit for running the counter rotating stuff when you run the opposite way on the course?

They turn better right with left hand props.

Go to right hand prop and it is going to turn better to the left.

In the early years of rc boating the servos were so weak you needed the prop rotation to help turn. That’s why we run clockwise to this day. All boats at that time were solid shaft, some had a shaft angle as high as 10 degrees.
Full sized outboard Mercury’s and other racing engines from the 50’s, 60’s, & 70’s were left hand rotation and we ran counter clockwise.

Latest posts

Back