laser cutting question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken t.

I would like to try getting some wood laser cut for a couple of projects. since i'm reasonably close to climate models it would work out well. I have been told by the folks there that in order to keep the cost down for small quantities the only way to go is to supply them with a cad drawing of the cutting patterns. Since I only have delta cad and very limited experience with it i'm not sure how tough this would be.

I can pretty much figure out the drawing part but i'm not sure how to scale it correctly so it comes out full size when cut.

<_<

Last edited by a moderator:
warlokboats said:
ken  just draw it full scale.  i did it with my warlok boats in autocad 14.

jon

88741[/snapback]

Do you mean set the scale on the screen so the pieces will fit and then draw it full scale with the measurements shown for the x y axis. ;)

ken if it is anything like autocad you can draw using point measurment to get a final length. and then it should have a view menu with a "view all" or something to the nature where you can see all on screen.

jon

Ken,

When you use a CAD program to draw a part, it is exactly the same as if you were drawing it on piece of paper with a pen.

You draw the parts the size you want them cut. If you want us to cut a 6 inch by 4 inch square, you draw a square that size.

Basically, what you draw is what we cut.

Think of the computer screen as a drawing table that you can zoom in and out from.

Just because the drawing fits on a 19-inch screen, does not mean that that is the size of the actual parts.

Our laser is one of the largest and fastest in the hobby industry. We work on a 4 foot (48 inch) square table.

Draw a 4 foot square and put all of your parts you want cut inside this square. We will know that the outline is 4 feet square and that will automatically scale your parts on the laser.

Delta CAD is a pretty basic program. It does leave a lot to be desired but will get you by for most simple drawings.

If you find it is too complex, draw the parts you want cut (full size) on paper and mail them to us. We can scan them and turn them in to a vector drawing for laser cutting. This does add to the cost, but is often cheaper in time than sitting for hours trying to figure out a new program.

If you have more questions, just ask.

Peter Richards

www.climatemodels.com

Ken,

I've been a CAD drafter for 18 years (AutoCad 9 though 2005) and can basically draw anything from ordinary orthographic views to complex parametric 3D assemblies (sorry for the shameless plug). I do this stuff 8 hours a day. To answer your question, draw the the patterns full size regardless of the screen size and you'll be be alright. I you would like, we could work something out and I could set you up so all you would have to do is send Climate a disk. Let me know. Bob

what do i have to do to get paper plans on disk in prep for laser cutting?

What you would have to do is carefully measure the parts you want cut and transfer those measurements into a CAD program. Berst way to do this is to layout a grid on top of the part and measue where the edge of the part intersects a line on the grid.

tracerbob said:
Ken,I've been a CAD drafter for 18 years (AutoCad 9 though 2005) and can basically draw anything from ordinary orthographic views to complex parametric 3D assemblies (sorry for the shameless plug). I do this stuff 8 hours a day.  To answer your question, draw the the patterns full size regardless of the screen size and you'll be be alright.  I you would like, we could work something out and I could set you up so all you would have to do is send Climate a disk.  Let me know.  Bob

88766[/snapback]

Hey Bob is turbocad professional any good for this staff?

Thanks Nick

Nigtmare said:
tracerbob said:
Ken,I've been a CAD drafter for 18 years (AutoCad 9 though 2005) and can basically draw anything from ordinary orthographic views to complex parametric 3D assemblies (sorry for the shameless plug). I do this stuff 8 hours a day.  To answer your question, draw the the patterns full size regardless of the screen size and you'll be be alright.  I you would like, we could work something out and I could set you up so all you would have to do is send Climate a disk.  Let me know.  Bob

88766[/snapback]

Hey Bob is turbocad professional any good for this staff?

Thanks Nick

88792[/snapback]

Sorry..I can't answer that question question for you. Never used it. But if turbocad can output to a file format that Climate can use, it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back