klasskote paint ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinxjx

hi all, does anyone know if klasskote clear turns yellow like the other epoxy paints did from the past? if so, has anyone used house of kolor clear coat and is it fuel proof?....thanks..

hi all, does anyone know if klasskote clear turns yellow like the other epoxy paints did from the past? if so, has anyone used house of kolor clear coat and is it fuel proof?....thanks..
Yes and no.

My experience with Klasskote (as well as Hobbypoxy and Superpoxy) is that Part A always stay clear. Part B is clear if it is fresh. Once you opened Part B and it aged, it will turn yellow. If you mix part A and fresh Part B, it is pretty much clear and it does not turn yellow once applied. Judging from previous posts on this subject, I am sure others will disagree.

If you used part B that has yellowed, it will still cure all right but the clear will have a yellow tint. However, it does not bother me much and in fact I prefer the "off white" tone when applied over white.

Just my two cents.

Kez

I haven't used Klasskote but I have used Hobbypoxy clear epoxy paint and yes, it did turn yellow :( . I didn't like the way that it looked. It really made my DV20's bright colors look at least 40 or 50 years old. I've recently sanded the boat completely down.

Most people are using automotive clear coats. I've got PPG Omni 2-part urethane clear. I'm certain that it will be fuel proof and it won't turn yellow :D !

Hi

I have used House of Kolor paint on the tunnel in the avtar.

It was acrylic base and nitro affects the clear.

Next boat i paint i will use my kandys but will spray PPG omni 2pac clear

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I have used House of Kolor paint on the tunnel in the avtar.

It was acrylic base and nitro affects the clear.

Next boat i paint i will use my kandys but will spray PPG omni 2pac clear

Yah know, I would think someone woudl come up with something that is FORSURE HIGH NITOR PROOF, and will not yellow yah know? Seems we are all looking for it, and it seems that PPG works good, but I havnt yet tried it. Hope we eventually get a good epoxy paint, or any paint that is high nitro proof! Now im off my soap box, just my .02

Used klass kote on my gas whiplash cleared the wood painted the cowl orange great stuff.The clear has a slight tint to it but looks great over wood.Also used the clear over the orange didnt really change the color.Soo far no yellowing in the clear cote over wood.Biggest thing that cause the clear to yellow on any paint is when you use epoxy to seal the wood some yellow after being in the sun.Its not the clear but the epoxy under the clear.My first whiplash i build did that with imron clear over epoxy i used to seal the wood.Where the cowl covered the hull it didnt yellow but where the sun got on it it did you could see it with the cowl off.The klass kote did not yellow just my exprience.Its the only paint i use now on my boats.Great stuff.I need to order some more .

I built 2 WOF tunnels both painted with rustoleum rattle can and cleared with PPG 2021 . Seems to work great they have 2 wet coats of clear . I think the key is plenty dry time for the paint before clear and not to heavy with the clear .

Ed.R

has anyone heard of these guys? i wonder how this clear coat kit will be?...thanks.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Quart-KIT...emZ200022581261
I don't think that I paid that much for my PPG Omni clear from a local PPG dealer!

Biggest thing that cause the clear to yellow on any paint is when you use epoxy to seal the wood some yellow after being in the sun.Its not the clear but the epoxy under the clear.
I'll be the first to admit that my experience with epoxy clear is with the old Hobbypoxy, not Klasskote. Hobbypoxy clear turned yellow when it was painted over my red white and blue painted hull, not over epoxy glue. The clear itself turned yellow and made the boat look reeeeeeeeal old :blink: !

Last edited by a moderator:
so, does anyone know which house of kolor clear coat that would be fuel proof enough because this can be bought in pints?....thanks.. http://www.hokpaint.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=hokucureth.bbx
Jinx,

The UC35 HOK clear is their hardest finish. Do not use acrylic clears as they are generally intended for laquer paints. Whatever you shoot this over, make sure you scuff the previous coat to make the clear adhere. You can shoot it directly over a previous coat if it has not dried more than a hour or so.

Bill

so, which clear should i get, the kosmic kolor urethane enamle or the polyurethane flo-klear?...thank you...

so, which clear should i get, the kosmic kolor urethane enamle or the polyurethane flo-klear?...thank you...
I use UC35 urethane emanel. Two to three medium coats allowing flash time between. Flash = tacky but not stringy to the touch. Buy hardener in half pint sizes as this stuff does not keep well.

I believe the Flo-Klears are used when you don't need a show quality finish and want to avoid color sanding and polishing. Coats tend to level quickly and I think more reducer is used to improve the flow.

Bill

Back