Keeping Boat club members motivated

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Siriani

I'd like some ideas about what other boat clubs do to keep members interested. How often do you have meetings and what goes on at the meetings. Do you have any outside activities planned etc.

Let me know. How do you increase membership?

I'm also greatly interested to hear some different suggetions once I've been facing these problems in my club.Tomorrow will be our 6th race of the year and there's low number boats to attend the event...I'm the tech director of my district and have no more clues to motivate people to come and enjoy a good lake"s day...a pitty cause we have a wonderfull site to practice with lot of conviniences extended to the whole family.

Gill

I took over as president this year and am faced with the same problems. One of the things that I am trying is quartly news letters to keep every one in touch with what's going on. This way I can keep in touch with the guys that don't come to the pond every week. I still would like to see more though. Some ideas are to have a cook out at the pond, or mock race with just our club members to have fun.

As for membership I made club brochures and placed them at all the local hobby stores. I also listed our club on the Radio Control Boat magazine's web site, and I always keep an eye on retention ponds in the area for other boaters. Another way to get leads for members is to watch E-Bay. Just go to the boat listings and do a search for auctions in your area. Look at the people who are selling boat stuff in your area and see if they are interested in checking out the club. This takes a little time, but has been getting me some leads.

I hope to get more people from the public in to come to our races in the future. Next year we plan to place ads in the news paper and put up signs by the highway to try to attract people that are driving by. The more people you can get to your race the better. Even if they arn't into RC boats, they might tell a friend who is. Not to mention the money you can make by selling them food and soda!

Keep the ideas coming!

Dale P.

This is sad to hear, RC boating is so popular in the states, hard to believe members are losing interest.

Here we are 6 of us in our town with no club and would die to be able to belong to one and race, unfortunatly all the clubs in the states are too far for us from Canada and the existing Canadian Clubs are two Provinces away (16 hours driving).

Good luck guys.

Dan, it sounds like youve got all you need for a club! go ahead and form it, elect officers, setup a few club runs get the club registered with IMPBA and Register/Insure your pond with IMPBA and youre set!

When we started Charleston Model Boaters, it was only a small handfull of us, barely enough to elect officials and it turned into and very nice club with 15-20 members, (dont know the exact number cause now im in germany). You have to have ambition and club members who are willing to pull there fair share of the weight. Its not an easy thing to maintain, and someone always ends up doing more work than others, but if you love the hobby enough you will be able to make it throught. Most of all, have fun, Ive had more fun a 10-15 boat club races than at most big events. If it stops being fun, it pretty much.....well.....stops!

~ James

Hi Guys,

I guess this would be the other side of the coin............

I live in west suburban Chicago. I have been told that this is the most active area of the country (IMPBA Dist 4) and I should have no problem getting involved in a club............

I have twice posted on the General Boating Forum page asking what club is nearest to me........no reply( other than someone replying to say that I was in the most active part of the country, etc.,etc.)

I searched the IMPBA site and found 2 clubs within an hours drive. I was able to get club board member's e-mail address ( I won't embarrass anyone here) and sent e-mail asking when meetings were and how to apply to be accepted as a member....... no reply

I decided to get involved in r/c boating again about 5 years ago after having to give it up when I first got married in the early 80's. There is a good place to go about a mile from my house, but I don't get to the water much. It's difficult to go out with an 1/8 scale or a larger tunnel when you are alone. And then it's not much fun chasing your own wake.

I'll ask again.............Is there an active R/C boat club in northwest suburban Chicago?

about getting and keeping members.................

are your outings and events family oriented?

I belonged to a water ski club for a while. it seemed that a few members just wanted a place to drink, curse, tell nasty stories, ignore good boating rules and annoy other boaters. members that brought their families and.or children to he clubhouse were frightened away by the the few goof balls that always seemed to be there. and it was difficult to bring about change because the "goof balls" were also board members.

is your site safe and "clean"?

Got an outhouse? a local flying club pays to have a port-a-potty on their site.

If you brought the kids, is there a place where they can play safley without getting muddy?

Keep the language "clean" too. some seem to think that if you are out with the guys, you are expected to use foul language. I don't enjoy foul language and I frequently remind people that there is no need for it in a social setting (or anywhere else for that matter)

If you can get the kids involved in a safe way the moms will like it. get enough moms to like it and they just might help turn your outings into part serious boating afternoon, part picnic.

O.K., I'll get off my soap box now............

Good luck with your club.

Bob the Fool :blink:

Bob, have you tried Tom's other site, www.impba4.com ? Mendota is racing this weekend, the Joliet club (Illini Powerboaters) is racing at Chicagoland Speedway but I don't know if they are still using the pond off Caton Farm Road any more. Summer Thunder was racing at a pond SW of O'Hare.

I don't know of any clubs in NW Chicago and doesn't look like it in the IMPBA 4 site.

Bob you have some very good points! I too had problems getting into a club at first. I made a few calls and E-mails and nothing. I had to try a few times to get a reply. Three years lator I'm the club president! Don't give up yet. Some times we get really busy with our work and family, leaving no time to check E-mail and return calls.

There is a race in Kenosha on Sept 2nd too! I plan to attend as well as many others from your area.

Dale P.

Bob,

I tried for three years to find a club. I live in the Milwakee area. I finally found a good club in the Kenosha/Racine area. You might try to contact the Summer thunder club. They are out at a pond in Schaumberg, IL.

Dale,

The Kenosha race (Badger Model boat club) is on the 17th of Sept. The 2nd and 3rd is the district race at the Chicagoland raceway pond.

Give Gary Preusse a call at 630-279-2451 he should be able to help you out or Garret Randall the District Director for that area at 262-635-0116.

Bill

Latest posts

Back