K90 KINGCRAFT in JAPAN

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimD, Dale,

I wont be bringing the 90 hydro to the nats, the parts have not arrived, so I have run out of time. :'( Sorry guys.....

Can you pass on my withdrawal to whom it matters?

Ian.

You guys only have a few days left, don't ya?

Gettin' butterflies where you don't need them, yet?

Ian! You're still gonna run the KC aren't you?

If you guys kick some butt, I'm gonna have to buy a bottle of Dom

to celebrate the occassion.

Oh! By the way! Welcome back to Yabb God status Tim! Or do I have to call you Mr. Duncan now?

Way to go! Keep the good info flowin'

Hammer

Ian , what is a heavy mono??

My 90 SG is 4,9kg :eek: and i run 1667 with 5,8" cup on it.

You don`t use EAP??

Easy to se the specs on your engines with it.....

When you run 3 things on your tube you never encounter "steam locks" then??

Dale , i have bought my K engines from Andy Brown the Swedish supplyer Bengt Bjorkhage and Frank Werner the German supplyer.

Anders

Wow! How things can change in 24 hrs! Tim and Dale managed to find parts for me to run my 90 Hummingbird (Thanx guys! ;D), but I got the parts I had ordered as well! Hopefully I will get it running Monday or Tuesday and race it at the nats!

Anders,

My mono weighs 5.8kg dry! It is pretty heavy! I hope to build a light boat soon like Hammer's to change the weight distribution.

I am surprised your SG is so heavy, my 90 Hummingbird is about 3.8kg dry, and that is with a heavy paint scheme!

I dont use EAP, I use something else! That program tells me I have a trapped compression ratio of 9.49:1. I have investigated EAP, but am happier with my program.

I have never had steam locks, at least I have never noticed them or seen any evidence of it. I regularly pull the head off my motors, and also test in salt water, so I would notice if there had been a steam lock in the head. I have never run more than one pickup for my glow motors, although only the A-90's and K-90's have had cooled manifolds and exhaust ports. Mostly I have been using my own rudders which feature larger water pickups than most commercial rudders like the CMD or Speedmaster.

Hammer,

Yep, still running the mono! I will drive as Dale's 'tail-gunner' ! :p

If we win I promise we will be drinkin something! ;D

Ian.

Ian , I have a 80SG also and that is 3,9-4kg.

The 90SG is quite alot bigger and the speed disadvantage is not mutch only 2-3mph.

But then you have a boat that handels ruff sea(lake) good.

That is the overall size on a hummingbird 90??

One thing that i have learn myself is not to build light ;D

When you stuff your boat in the speeds we run today it brakes 8).

Anders

Anders,

My boat is a custom boat, it has bigger sponsons set wider and the tub is longer than the 60/80 boat. But still it is about the same size as a 67 SG. I have never had a good look at a 90 SG, but the SG's are big for their engine sizes, the 67 SG was also about the same size as my 90 Cobra.

I dont know how the hummingbird will handle the rough water as I have had almost no running with it! It will be tested soon as I will be running up against up to 5 twins at the same time!

You have to build strong not heavy! The heavier a boat is, the harder it hits! But I agree about the ease of damage at speed! I had the setup wrong and blew my boat off the water on the first run and snapped the sponson booms and bent the turn fin! Tore the canopy off and the tank out too! I have seen 90 monos that have been folded in half from stuffing at speed!

Have you ever run a tacho on your K-90? Do you know what sort of revs it is doing?

Ian.

Ian , 22-23500 rpm in heat racing mode, with the 1667 and 5,8" cup.

Good luck , if you are going to run in the same heat as 5 twins i think you will need it ;D ;D.

Useing K power in your Hummingbird??

Anders

Anders,

I got similar revs from the A-90 in the mono. I have not got the tacho working for the K-90 in the mono yet, and dont have a tacho in the hydro. If the mono flipped at full throttle I would get readings of 25000 to 27000 rpm!

Yes, against the twins I shall just be driving very wide on the course and hoping they stop (which they often do!) 8)

I have an A-90HP in the hydro, and I also have an A100 I can put in there. The A100 is much more powerful but has massive torque at lower revs (19000 rpm typical). I was told I may have trouble with the handling of the boat if I used the A100 due to the very large props it would need. I will try it after the Nationals! I have just the prop too, a 2170!

I can adapt the K-90 to fit, but I would need to make a new canopy to do it. Plus I already have a use for the K-90 in my mono!

Do you run the caged needle bearing in the K-90 rod or replace it with CMB needles?

Ian.

Ian , i mount 17pc of 7,8x1,5mm needles in all my engines.

Do you only have one K90 ;D.

What happens if you blow it in a race :-.

K90carb4.JPG

That is the K90 carb with low end adjustment.

Anders

Wow Anders! Your turning this thread in to a "Faces of boat Death"

I have run mine hot on occassion, but I never imagined that things could get that bad.

Hammer

Anders,

Yes, I only have one K-90, they cost too much for me to have a spare! If I blow it up I will be very upset..... : :)

Seriously tho, I haven't blown a motor for years, and never anything larger than a 3.5cc (except a zenoah, but we are talking nitro motors here!). I must run them too slow.... ;D

That carb looks nice, but I bet it is not cheap as a spare part!

What are those pistons from? A couple look like Rossi 90 pistons, but I cant really tell. What was the cause of the failures? Are these from hydros or FSRV's?

Ian.

Yeap , some are Rossi pistons.

They fit right in a K-90, like them better then std p/s :-X :-X

But even them break.

It`s not fun when it happen but it costs to stay in the lead.

You have to learn and know how far you can stretch the engine to the maximum.

Ian , the cause i haven`t figure that out yeat realy.........

Because how can a piston get pulled in half on the way down ???

The only thing i can think of is the sticking problem.

Have anyone else seen pistons like this?

Anders

Anders,

Yes I have seen that before: in a Rossi 90! Notice how thin the pin boss either side of the wrist pin? I dont think they are strong enough, and I would never use a Rossi 90 piston and liner having seen how they break up.

I have never had a problem with the K-90 P&L or any of the A-90 and A100 P&L's (which are all made by the same person). I lighten my pistons by strategically removing some of the piston skirt, this is to reduce the forces on the piston and rod. I have never had any of them stick.

Some of the pistons pictured are badly scored, it wasn't simply too lean? Why do you prefer the Rossi P&L, the porting of the K-90 is very similar and I think the piston is stronger?

Ian.

Ian, they get scored is because the circlips jump around and make the linear nice ;D

My engines with the Rossi linears are faster :-X.

Just qurious how you know that the same person is making the linears for both K and A engines??

I know that they might use the same brand of pistons RJ........

BUT still , why is this not hapening now so often after i quit useing the lower cooling ring??

Now they are working fine....

Anders

Anders,

Interesting stuff, thanks for the advice, i have never seen a K piston do that!! not many rossie's down here,

We have spares if Ian needs any, My business partner James has a twin identical to mine, with 2 K90's sitting in it ready to go if something happens,

The twins have really taken over the X hydro class here, there are 15 of them out of 18 boats at the nats!! to win you have to race at 90mph and be on the bouys!!!

James boat has run 154 Km/h in oval race trim and 161 (100mph) with v967/3 on the back,

would you consider a trip down under one year??

Dale

Oh! By the way! Welcome back to Yabb God status Tim! Or do I have to call you Mr. Duncan now?

Way to go! Keep the good info flowin'

Hammer
Who's that? My Surname isn't Duncan? Is there an imposter out there? :p

Ian,

The H49 arrived ;) Thanks for the tip.

Back