K90 KINGCRAFT in JAPAN

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anders,

Perhaps the circlips caused the piston failures? I have had this once with a very old CMB 21, but the piston didn't break.

I wonder why the Rossi liner is faster? I have not directly compared the two, but could see no major differences. ???

I know the P&L's are made by the same person because Thomas Hoffman (former owner of PIP) told me! Yes they both have RJ in the pistons, also the style of machining and plating is the same. Each manufacturer is normally subtley different.....

I decided to not use the lower cooling ring after reading what Rod Gerharty (SP?) said about lower cooling rings on rcboat.com. He said that they dont allow the top of the liner to expand properly 'pinching' the piston. This would cause a higher wear rate and in extreme cases siezing.

Tim, Dale,

I tried to run the hydro today, but it was a waste of time, the water was too rough. I got half a lap! I almost fell out of the kayak I was using to rescue the boat!

So the boat is still pretty much untested. I hope to have plenty of opportunity in practice to get it going!

I also have found I have thinned my hydro props a bit much and will have to trim at least two of them. :(

Tim, I had a bit of trouble sharpening the H49, be careful!

Dale, I wont be needing spares, nothing will break..... ;D

Ian.

Dale,

I'll pick it up when I get there. I am not going to sharpen it tho, I wont need it yet!

I am not used to these ABC props at all, I have made many of them too thin! I think they are cast much thinner than I am used to and I take too much off! My props might look a little different when you see them! : :)

My GPS doesn't work in the hydro either! The antenna cant 'see' thru the carbon pipe, so I dont get a reading! After all that work building a special compartment for it.... :(

Now to strip it all down and pack it up.....

Ian.

No worries Ian,

I use a die grinder and a gasket removal pad to do the props, leaves a nice finish on the props! similer to what andys props look like.

Dale

Hey Ian,

I spent over an hour trying to balance that prop last night, and it's still not there - they are way off balance.

I would have thought the rossi liner would have more taper in it than the K90 item. The K90 liners have a very small amount of taper and they are very round.

Anders, are you running the same timing numbers on the sleeve for both liners?

Tim.

Yeap Tim , i run "almost" the same timing in most of my K90 engines 187-188 deg of exhaust.

Makes a good overall racing engine.

It would be very nice to go to Australia and also compete in a race.

The only small problem is that it`s on the other side of the world for me and the cost Dale :-.

We have winter here now so it`s a long wait untill spring now :( .

Were is the nats going to be Ian??

Merry x-mas to all now,i`m going away tomorrow for a cuple of days.

Anders

Anders,

it is pretty cheap to get over here, the euro is worth double the aus doller!!!

the nats are in 2 days and counting!! next year they are in ians home town!!!

Im off for a few days now, then racing, ill get on here and give you guys a update through the week!!

Dale

Dale,

I use a linisher (belt sander) to do the props, normally works very well, but I was caught out by the curvature at the tongue of the ABC props. Oops! :eek:

Anders,

The nats are in Sydney at one of the venues used in the 2000 Olympics. I have not seen it before! I hope the weather will be nice to us...

Tim,

Mine was the worst 2 blade prop I have ever had to balance, the out of balance area was not even on a blade! Mine took at least a couple of hours to do, and one tip ended up so thin I am surprised it survived being run. I am relieved to hear that I am not alone in having problems with that prop!

I am not sure about the lack of taper on a K-90 liner, mine feels to be just as rattly as any other at BDC. Speaking scientifically I measured the same taper on my A-90 liner (no real surprise!).

Merry Christmas everyone, I doubt I will be back here until next year! Now to racing.... 8)

Ian.

ian/tim

Have spoken to Jim at ABC, he is getting the mould fixed up, he said to remove the material off the HUB

Dale

Hey Dale! Do you have any rubber seals for the engine. I was thinking about replacing them on the water jackets and I pinched the one on the back plate when I was cleaning it. I can get them here, but I was wondering if I could get about 5 each. And just have them on hand.

Hammer

Hey Anders! Did you ever get your hands on the speed gun you wanted? By the way! Merry Christmas and thanks for contributing to this thread.

Hammer

Hammer,

yep i can get them here, wont be able to get them for a week tho as everything is closed!!

Nats start tomorrow!!!

Dale

That they are Ron! You can push the piston right up through the top of the cylendar after you break it in.

Hammer

If i remember right Genadi told me that the taper on the sleve was 0,015mm/cm.

He had some with a taper of 0,04mm/cm as he called "Nitro" tapered sleves.

I have to order the same gun as before,then i`m 100% sure it works..... Hammer.

Anders

K90's won X hydro at the 2002 AMPBA nat's and came second in X mono in a Kingcraft. Congrats to Dale and Ian.

Anders,

Any idea of the taper amount in the Rossi Piston / liner?

Tim, i have no clue :-.

But my guess is that it`s like the K "Nitro" type linears.

Is there any results and photos from the Australian Nats now in the digital camers era??

What type of boat took x-hydro??

Anders

Anders,

You can see Dale's X hydro on his website - www.kingcraftrc.com - it is the white, silver and black twin.

There was a bunch of people with digital camera's there that have promised to send me some pic's - I will be doing a race review shortly and will also post the pic's on the club's new website as soon as it is available - any day now....

I would suspect the Rossi Piston and Liner has a lot more taper than the K90 items.... Is there much price differeence between the two?

Tim.

Back