K MOTORS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want a K-45 really cheap? I bought one and the rear main bearing seal broke tossing the con rod needle bearing into the combustion chamber. I then spent over $200.00 having Al Hobbs rebuild it for me before it pulled the same stunt again. It is now taking up space in a box. Bob Finn was telling me how good his was at the Internats then he blew his up in his Sport 40 later in the week. I have one of the earlier versions that was updated on the rebuild. The K-90 is supposed to be a better engine, I know of some of the Aussies are running them.

I can only speak of the K90, don't have one but a BUNCH are running them here in NAMBA 9. Overall for the awsom power they produce a GREAT engine.

Seen a few piston pin/boss breakage issues but over all a super powerplant.

FYI. The fastest boat to ever go 1 mile in a 6 lap race was powered by a K90 !!

It still stands as a national record in NAMBA ~~ 59 seconds flat.

I was there and saw it first hand, truly awsom !!

;) Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,

email me with the details of what you have left and how much you want for it. I only need the K45 for the full set! hehehe.

Craig - my K motors are beautiful engines. Casting and machining is top class. Ron had a lot of trouble with his 45 tho'.

I had an e-mail from Craig this morning asking about it. I told him like I'll let you know, it would need the following to get it running again: Piston, sleeve, rear main crank bearing, needle bearings and con rod. No remote needle valve as I sold that already. It also has the water-cooled exhaust header plus I'll throw in all of the extra parts. The case looks fine.

Yes, the casting work is a work of art on them, that's what really impressed me about the motor.

If I were to rebuild it again, I would probably loo for a better bearing for it than the stock one, the phenolic seal or whatever it is seems to be a weak spot.

Does the 45 run the WIB polyamide bearings in it? The 67, 82, and 90 run them and they are great bearings.

My understanding of the 45 is that the needle bearing rod is the problem - it snags on the drum. The new bushed rod would solve that problem.

Is the liner damaged? if so how bad? Not worried about the piston.

If Craig isn't interested let me know - he started the thread after all!

Tim.

One or possibly both of the pistons and sleeves might be able to be re-used. In both instances a needle bearing was jammed in the intake port stopping the piston in it's tracks. I've heard that there are better needle bearings available from another engine maker but who it is, I can't remember off hand. Someone who is more savvy on these motors would know. The first time that it sneezed parts I found a piece of the shield in the combustion chamber.

On the larger motors you can run full compliment needles from CMB's. The 45 is the exception to the rule. It requires the caged needle or a bushed rod.

I won't need a piston if the liner is still OK (no major gouges etc.) Just a damaged piston to get copied B)

Tim.

Back