• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Jeweled prop balancers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These jewels will thread in. They should never wear out. The ones I bought from Gerathy were an odd thread and I elected to glue them into a precision hole.

Cases are not included.

$80 will include most shipping fees. Out of U.S. shipping will be covered as well unless it is some outstanding amount.

Jerry T said:
Joe W said:
Nice Work Jerry....... It looks Sweet..... ;)   Who made the Original?  Rod?
79782[/snapback]

Thanks Joe. Rod made the original as far as I know. He sent me the drawings and the jeweled bearings and that's what I used. I forget who made the shafts. I'll look for the drawings from Rod and try to post them later. Preston's pirce seems really fair for one with the jewels and shafts.

79800[/snapback]

When I made the original "jeweled balancer" in 1979 my initial goal was to get some life out of the 3.5 K&B outboard prop bearing assemblies.Initially I really had no idea how much performance I was losing by using props and other hardware I assumed was "balanced"!

[Remember the only balancers available in 1979 used a piece of rod rolling across a couple of razor blades buried in a piece of wood.]

The jewels I used were out of Hi-shock Mil-spec panel meters used on U.S. warships.They were expensive as hell.New Mil-H-9101C jewels were about $150.00 a set in the '70"s.

I was very fortunate to gather up a bunch of jewels at a military surplus auction in 1979.

Now with the advent of reasonably priced synthetic jewels,the opportunity to get a reasonably priced "jeweled balancer"is now possible.

I have built maybe 10 each balancers over the past 25 years and gave them away to friends as gifts.

The first one I gave away was to Tommy Lee.About a week after he received it,he called me and laughingly called me a S.O.B. ,saying he had over 200 props in his box and not a one of them was balanced. :D

Maybe 10 years ago I gave one to Andy Brown and he actually wore out a set of jewels.I can't imagine how many prop balancings it took to wear out a set of jewels. :blink:About 6 months ago Andy asked me for another set of jewels so I think he is still using it.There is a ton of performance being left on the table by using a prop that is not balanced.

The jeweled balancer I would estimate is easily twice as accurate and more sensitive than any other balancer I know of.A big advantage to the jeweled balancer is you can check the the dynamic balance as well as the static balance of a prop.

More often than not I balanced the prop and drivedog as a matched pair.That at times can be a real eye opener.

I have also balanced flywheels on the jeweled balancer.

If you are interested in taking the next step up on the performance ladder you need one of these balancers and take the time to learn how to use it.When you first start using the balancer it can really be frustrating until you learn how to use it properly and when to go from the static mode to the dynamic mode.

The last time this balancer came up was on the RCBoat.com listbot forum,maybe 3 years ago.As I recall I think there were about 3000 hits on the tread before it was over.

It is amazing how these subjects recycle every few months or years but that is a topic for another time.

$80.00 is one hell of a good buy for the balancer.This is a bargain for the increased performance and reliability you can realize in return for that $80.00.

For you who are so inclined,I would jump on this offer before Preston Hall gets tired of building them.

Rod Geraghty

Hi guys,

As a newby I see that it is possible to use paypal and hopefully you are willing to ship one balancer for a 3/16 shaft to the Netherlands as well. Details on the address will be given upon email contact.

Looking forward for this item.

Ronald-Moron-van Essen

Hi Preston,

Is it possable to get a 1/8" shaft with it also? I would like to be put on the list for one as well, I do quite a few 1/8th bore props so including one would be the cats azz.

Paul.

Rod might have cost you guys some extra $$$$$$. :lol:

For you who are so inclined,I would jump on this offer before Preston Hall gets tired of building them.
I haven't even recovered from emails.

Hi Rod good to here from you. Haven't seen you at the Nats for the last few years. Fire up the margarita machine and come down to Jackson, TN this year. :) :)

Preston_Hall said:
Rod might have cost you guys some extra $$$$$$.  :lol:
I haven't even recovered from emails.

79981[/snapback]

I'd "feel" for ya Preston but I can't quite reach ya :lol: It's like that TV commercial

"They'er all happy lookin' at the orders comin' in,,But when it goes to about

600,000 in about 15 seconds", They all get worried! :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Preston,

Please add me to the ever growing list if you can. PM me with your address and I'll drop a check out to you. Thanks for helping us all.

John

Preston,

Please add me to the list. Seems like a good deal for a precision instrument.

Thanks for offering this!

Mark Poole

Hi Preston:

I will take one as well. PM me with your address and I will send you a money order.

Thanks, David

Preston it looks like you already have more orders than you May want....... If You will PM me I`ll prepay for a balancer. I have never seen this type balancer... But I need a Quailty Balancer. If the list is already too long..... I understand .. ;) [email protected]

Hi Preston,

I see you have me on the list, thank you. I will need a 1/8" shaft and if I'm not pressing my luck :) I would like to get an extra set of 1/8th and 3/16th shafts. If you like I'm more than willing to send 50% of the cost your way today just so you know your not building them for your health, lol.

Paul.

Preston.Maybe we all should send you 50% to help you out with the cost of the material.I have no problem sending you all of the amount.Thanks Nick

Hi Preston,

I will take one if you will send it to Australia I will pay any extra shippingjust let me know how much and when you want the money

Regards

Paul Stirton

Back