JAPANESE HYDROS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

Here we have some facts around the Japanese racing and rigger design!

This post has nothing to do with their "ocean boats" mentioned here earlier.

After my post #15 in this thread I had a "feeling" that I saw two different types of Japanese "heatracing" riggers in all these pictures.

And after watching the video on the NE-Stuff link in this thread a few times, I suspected that this showed a typical Japanese time trail on a very short course. http://ne-stuff.blogspot.com/search?q=japan

Niklas has just updated his page based on this info.

I have now been in contact with two Japanese racers that run in their National series and they confirm this, and has also giving me more details around their racing.

In Japan they run like this:

#1 - Heatracing with 6 boats at the same time, on an oval very simlilar to our racing. They run 5 laps i Japan.

#2 - Time trail with one boat at the time, on a very short oval, just 100m (110 yards) per lap, running 4 laps on time. The video shows one attempt on a race. A good time is like 17sec. These boats has nothing to do with heatracing, just SOLO racing!

Please look at the pictures:

CIMG1165 - Shows a typical time trail rigger set up for 4 short laps solo racing.

CIMG0337 - Shows a typical Heatracing rigger set up for 5 laps racing with other boats.

This explains very much of the different designs. It will now be a lot easier to think and discuss around this.

This was an eye opener for me, and probarbly will be for few others.....*smile*

Thanks

Jorgen
form all the pics as it looks to me there are three different ones. jorgen, can you find out any info on the pinkie rigger, the design, any plans on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

The third class the run is ocean boats and that is long distance racing.

I have not included this in my last post, as it has very little to do with the oval heatracing we run.

I have just recieved a few drawings and more are on it´s way, we will see what comes out of this.

It is interesting to note that the JAE design is inspired by the Japanese time trail boats and not their heatracing boats.

Thanks

Jorgen

Hello

It is interesting to note that the JAE design is inspired by the Japanese time trail boats and not their heatracing boats.

Thanks

Jorgen

And JAE is wery fast as we have seen here in 2 laps in time trial.. It will be nice to see in heatracing as well. We have at least one boat here in Sweden that will be at next race.

hey jorgan

ya that makes sence.. i just wonder HOW MUCH TAIL WEIGHT IS TO MUCH? some of the boats i have seen the motors are way way back.. i would think it would drag around the whole time.. maybe not though.

larry,

lol you going to put the radio box up in the nose? i thought about that but what a mess with a fuel tanks and boom tubes lol

chris

Chris:

I think that your approach and mine are very much similar. I like a boat that has low tail weight. It seems to give me much better acceleration out of the turns. I believe that is the secret to a really great heat race boat. As is evident in MANY posts, there are a bunch of different ways to get to the end result and a lot of different approaches have been very successful. For me I like to have a boat that bounces paralell with the water in rough water as it seems to me to be the best way to get through rough water. The may not be totally correct since the best 20 hydro that I have seen in rough water was the ElDiablo that I made many years ago. It was a rigger with an outboard which had a ton of tail weight. It was by far the best rough water boat that I have seen.

The key for me is super acceleration by not having a lot of tail weight. The prop can unload easily and quickly.

Marty

interesting you say that, yesterday i was out testing my 21

rigger and my buddy with the radar was telling me that my JAE21 was

doing nearly the same speeds out of the turns as end of the straights(80mph+)

regards Aaron

Marty

interesting you say that, yesterday i was out testing my 21

rigger and my buddy with the radar was telling me that my JAE21 was

doing nearly the same speeds out of the turns as end of the straights(80mph+)

regards Aaron

Thats wery impressing...

And i felt a bit the same when i tested my friends jae 21. It was just to turn and it did.. in the same speed as the straight, not so fast yet though...

one interesting thing in the two pics jorgen posted.. the second boat ( red ) the bottom of the tub has a curve going to the nose.. not a flat section. but the bottom of the sponsons are flat all the way to the tips.

wonder why?

I wonder if I should weigh in? You guys seem to have most of it right. I was a member of the JMPBA for 16 years. I know most of the people that are in the pics you all have posted. I can assure you that 95% of their hydros are scratch built. Then about 4% were built for them by another member, and 1% are kits; usually made by TRK or Rocky.

There are only 2 hobby shops that support the some 2000 members of the JMPBA. One is Rocky in Shikoku, and the other is OFUNA MOKEI in Yokohama. They only carry MAC Pipes, because the silencers are custom made by TRK for the MAC pipe stingers. The silencers are required when racing in JMPBA sanctioned events.

I wonder if I should weigh in? You guys seem to have most of it right. I was a member of the JMPBA for 16 years. I know most of the people that are in the pics you all have posted. I can assure you that 95% of their hydros are scratch built. Then about 4% were built for them by another member, and 1% are kits; usually made by TRK or Rocky.

There are only 2 hobby shops that support the some 2000 members of the JMPBA. One is Rocky in Shikoku, and the other is OFUNA MOKEI in Yokohama. They only carry MAC Pipes, because the silencers are custom made by TRK for the MAC pipe stingers. The silencers are required when racing in JMPBA sanctioned events.
i'll find out.. from the pics it looks to be a .21 or a .40 rigger.

i'll find out.. from the pics it looks to be a .21 or a .40 rigger.
I believe the boat your drooling over is the Hot Pink one, correct? If so, that is Otagaki's boat. It is running a mod. CMB .45

That is a time trial boat. Otagaki holds the Japanese record in B-Hydro.

The light pink one in the foreground is a heat racer. It is an A-Hydro. (.21 engine) The one in the back is a time trial rigger. It is also an A-Hydro. In Japan, A-Hydro is .21 (3.5cc), B-Hydro is .45 (7.5cc), and C-Hydro is .90 (15cc).

The hot pink one is a time trial B-Hydro. All these riggers are scratch built.

Marty

The light pink one in the foreground is a heat racer. It is an A-Hydro. (.21 engine) The one in the back is a time trial rigger. It is also an A-Hydro. In Japan, A-Hydro is .21 (3.5cc), B-Hydro is .45 (7.5cc), and C-Hydro is .90 (15cc).

The hot pink one is a time trial B-Hydro. All these riggers are scratch built.

Marty
yep I love that Hot pinky one..lol The one I'd showed thats on ebay are Fe but can be converted to nitro or have him build one for nitro.,,,Would like to get one and see how it does against US riggers.

Hey MissHydro, The FE one that you have on your watch tower in Ebay, is made in China, not Japan.

Hey MissHydro, The FE one that you have on your watch tower in Ebay, is made in China, not Japan.
I know,but remember there all Asians most have the same princibles and all in the Europe area. .. like I said I still would like to get one and see how it would do agaist the US riggers.

I know,but remember there all Asians most have the same princibles and all in the Europe area. .. like I said I still would like to get one and see how it would do agaist the US riggers.

Miss hydro, that is the most belligerent comment I have heard in a long time..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ouch!
huh.gif
I wonder what the Aussies would say if we (Americans)said we're all the same. Oh! The Japanese have several Nobel Prize winners and none of them are in Jail. That is the difference.

Miss hydro, that is the most belligerent comment I have heard in a long time..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey its true.. There all Asians and there kicking our butts in technacal advaces and we're behind the 8 ball again.

Hey its true.. There all Asians and there kicking our butts in technacal advaces and we're behind the 8 ball again.

I think you would actually be surprised as to how many of them take offense to being called "asians"... Kind of like calling you a cracker. Hey, maybe im wrong, but......

Back