JAE question I had been pondering

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Guys,

I added a peice of .030 g-10 to the rear of my jae 21 transom as well as changed struts from a non adjustable to one i can adjust.Do you think that i will have to move weight ahead in my box to compensate for the added weight of the new strut and g-10 or should i just try it and see what happens.I know these boats are pretty unforgiving but though i would ask anyway.

Is there a weight at the prop that is recommended and measured by resting the boat on the sponsons and using a digital scale under the prop. ?

The boat ran fine with the old stut but it was damaged and i elected to go with one I could adjust and i did the g-10 to stop crushing the rear of the transom.I just want to get back to where i was in terms of weight on the prop/CG.

Thanks

Guys,

I added a peice of .030 g-10 to the rear of my jae 21 transom as well as changed struts from a non adjustable to one i can adjust.Do you think that i will have to move weight ahead in my box to compensate for the added weight of the new strut and g-10 or should i just try it and see what happens.I know these boats are pretty unforgiving but though i would ask anyway.

Is there a weight at the prop that is recommended and measured by resting the boat on the sponsons and using a digital scale under the prop. ?

The boat ran fine with the old stut but it was damaged and i elected to go with one I could adjust and i did the g-10 to stop crushing the rear of the transom.I just want to get back to where i was in terms of weight on the prop/CG.

Thanks
Had to do the same thing with my Hydro - and my Kid's Hydro. No decernable weight issues doing that. Depending on what kind of lifting prop you have - it shouldn't be a problem. I think you'll like the adjustable better. If you use the front sponsons as a folcrum and weigh the back of the strut - it'll seem like it weigh's-out too much. Try weighing it at the CG.

CoG should be at the turnfin,engine area. Mine sits low in the water as is without adding weight. the lighter you go the faster you go. If your having turning problems then move the turnfin to the back set of holes.I like the ajustable strut.And I did cut off as much weight as possile from the strut without weaking the strut. If you have 1/4" of leftover strut sticking off the top cut it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, when nothing was bent or out of wack Mine turned and stayed planted awesome.I just am looking to get it back to where i was prior to the new work and parts.Mine is definatly not the lightest as i seem to build everything heavy....lol...I will let you guys know how testing goes if the weather permits this weekend.

Is there a suggested CG say x number of inches behind the rear boom tubes or something like that ?

Maybe we could get some numbers from the guys that have theirs dialed in.I run a little neg in my stut and i think it robbed a little speed but never blew off or stuffed.I was pleased but needed to make a few changes and fix a couple issues that i was putting off till winter.Now I think all the issues are resolved.

Rigger are different than a Vee hull were you use numbers.Forget the numbers and have fun driving. the hull is all most fool proof,building wise

Yeah 10-4 I am probably making it more complicated than it needs to be.I will just slide my batt ahead or get a lighter one to compensate for the little added weight to the transom and be good to go.

Terry the addition of the g10 and adjustable strut will not affect your boat for sure...all the Jae's I've been building have the tramson reinforced with 1/8 carbon sheet and adjustable struts!

Gill

www.grsboats.com.br

The modifications/changes i did made no handling or performance change to boat what so ever and I have eliminated several annoying issues in the process.The boat runs well and now i have some adjustability in the strut if needed.

Latest posts

Back